Sign in to follow this  
RM762x51

What to do after snake bite?

Depends on where the bite is

If it bites you on the *** you are gonna die. Unless you are hunting with Ricky Marrin, no one is gonna suck the poison out of that wound.

Depends if I'm hunting with the wife or not ha ha

Who's wife? Yours or someone else's?

:ph34r:

somebody suggested taking benadryl, how does that help the situation?

Not sure it would for a snake bite. I keep some in the truck just in case I get tagged by a scorpion or stung by a bunch of bees. I think it depends on the type of venom / toxin.

Maybe IA born can chime in on this as I'd like to know as well.

Not sure it would for a snake bite. I keep some in the truck just in case I get tagged by a scorpion or stung by a bunch of bees. I think it depends on the type of venom / toxin.

We only give Benadryl if someone is having an infusion reaction to the CroFab which is super rare since it is made with sheep. The old horse stuff was way more dangerous.

I can't think of any reason to give Benadryl to a patient for envenomation. The antihistamine would have no effect since there's no allergic reaction and no way it could help develop any antibodies to the venom antigens. Giving benadryl for reactions to CroFab makes perfect sense, though. And, yes, reactions are much more rare now that antivenin is no longer made from horse serum.

We only give Benadryl if someone is having an infusion reaction to the CroFab which is super rare since it is made with sheep. The old horse stuff was way more dangerous.

I can't think of any reason to give Benadryl to a patient for envenomation. The antihistamine would have no effect since there's no allergic reaction and no way it could help develop any antibodies to the venom antigens. Giving benadryl for reactions to CroFab makes perfect sense, though. And, yes, reactions are much more rare now that antivenin is no longer made from horse serum.

There is a published paper on a patient with a systemic reaction (anaphylaxis) to a crotalid bite, with no (reported) history of previous envenomation, he had previously killed, skinned, and eaten several rattlers. supposition was that he had enough exposure to the various proteins that he became sensitized.

Found this in the news this morning. I would buy an EpiPen-like device in a heartbeat.

http://www.12news.com/news/health/arizona-researcher-discovers-breakthrough-that-could-buy-time-for-snakebite-victims/483240149

"The excitement is that we have proven that carbon monoxide has the ability to directly inhibit essentially all hemotoxic venom enzymes in the test tube and that it blocks the effects of the Western Diamondback rattlesnake's venom in animals," Nielsen said in a news release by U of A. "The effects on coagulation of some of the deadliest snake venoms in the world — South American, North American and even African, such the cobra's — can be delayed by a treatment that could be delivered with a device much like an EpiPen used for allergic reactions."

I have pretty decent allergies, and I asked my allergist for an EpiPen. She had no problem writing a prescription for them. I keep 1 at home just because, and I keep one in my hunting pack.

I have wanted to have 1 for a long time since I spend a lot of time away from the city sometimes doing offroading and hunting. Now that I have kids, I made it a priority.