Sign in to follow this  
RM762x51

What to do after snake bite?

I've taken care of a pt with a snake bite while working in the ICU. Pretty interesting to see what happens after a bite and how awesome antivenom is. I hate snakes and often think about what I'd do if I were to get bit. I think each case is different and in any circumstance can go south fast, therefore getting to the hospital as quick as possible is key. I just pray I don't ever have to know the feeling of getting bit!

I got bit when I was about 12 years old out hunting. 3 miles from the truck. 50 miles from a hospital. 3 hours from bite to hospital. A shoot load of anti venom and 2 days in the hospital. No long term effects thank god. Got lucky there I guess. Definently don't sit and call for help, get out asap. Biggest thing I learned is you want it to spread through your body. Your whole body has a better chance fighting it than just one specific area

• Like 2

i was just having this conversation yesterday at work, and our big question was,

should we use the suction cup things, or not?

I agree with Smitty. I bought a set of Turtle Skins.

http://turtleskin.com/snake-gaiters

I hope I never need them, but you can bet I'll be wearing them when in the back country. Something like that Garmin InReach looks like a great way to communicate an emergency as well, especially considering I am planning a solo back country backpack hunt this year.

I also use snake chaps. They're also great when the catclaw and cactus get thick. They don't breathe so they are hot. but I wear them with shorts in hot weather and not so bad.

I came across a rattlesnake bite victim several years ago on a hiking trail near my house. The single best advice in my humble opinion is to make all attempts to stay clam and get to a medical facility asap. Helicopter ride may or may not be necessary depending on your reaction and how far in you are.

Yup.

i was just having this conversation yesterday at work, and our big question was,

should we use the suction cup things, or not?

No. Those have been "debunked" and no longer recommended to suck out venom. Unless Ricky Martin is around like already posted.

I'm screwed with snakes- I'm deaf and can't hear a rattler- I'll let you guys know about my personal experience after I finally get bit. One time was out scouting with ndaniels on here, he heard a rattler and my foot was on it's head. Other times I walked past a rattler rattling and I could hear my "hearing" friends behind me hollering and cursing. I'm due sometimes

• Like 3

Snake Gators!..$40.00 bucks at Dick;s sporting! worth every penny!..saves a lot of money and hardship!!

I wear mine all the time, they're hot right now but I like how they keep cactus and cat claw out of your lower legs.

• Like 1

I've spent more time than I care to admit researching this topic and have yet to come across any real useful information for the scenario many of us are looking for help on, which is something along the lines of - what should I do if I am miles back in remote and rugged coues country, with no cel service and self rescue means hiking 1,000ft up in elevation? My best guess... I'm, you're, we're screwed! You can scour the web and be hard pressed to find anything to address that worse case scenario.

Good boots, gators and an InReach (or similar type) are the best tools I know of so far.

• Like 1