rossislider

Bugle Fest

My son and I headed up to the high county late Friday afternoon for a little preseason scouting. Up till now it has been pretty warm up north and the bugling action pretty low. A storm from came in with us Friday night that changed everything. The temperature dropped with the storm, and the bulls went crazy. We were neck deep in bulls with bugling around us all day Saturday. I'll post a video later today of one encounter we had with a bull 6 yards from my son. It was a first for him at that close range. He got pretty excited.

At this point MOST of the bulls weren't overly responsive to the cow call, but my bugle got them responding consistently. Very few bulls were herded up yet, with the exception of one really big guy that was already pushing a bunch of cows.

Things look great this coming weekend for you luck archery tag holders.

• Like 13

Nice, Getting your son hooked at a young age.

Can't wait to get out there myself.

We got two big bull getting it on friday night in unit 23. All the bulls we have seen this year are looking awesome!!!!!

• Like 1

Don't cow call. The end.

It has its place. That is what ultimately got the guy in the video to come in. Prior to the video starting we had been bugling at each other and raking trees for about 10 minutes. That cow call brought him on a string.

• Like 1

I took the "don't cow call" to mean, "don't go educating the bulls before season with that tactic", which I also echo. Good luck!

• Like 2

I took the "don't cow call" to mean, "don't go educating the bulls before season with that tactic", which I also echo. Good luck!

I would disagree. Nor would I assume to know what someone else thinks to make my own point. Furthermore, I don't have an elk tag this year and neither does my son. So I guess in your mind my son and I have no business in the woods "educating the bulls", and my son has no right to learn or have those experiences until he or I have a tag. IMO it is far better now than after the season starts. I'd hate to mess up someone's hunt or stalk. As far as educating this bull, he wasn't shot, harassed, or harmed in an matter. If he learned anything it is that there isn't a danger in coming into a call. What the video didn't show was him hanging around about 30-40 yards out for another 10 minutes before slowly walking off into the forest, he wasn't the least bit afraid or ADVERSELY educated.

I had a chance to teach my son, and be part of an experience with him that he will remember forever. An experience that a fraction of a percent of people will ever experience. Anyone who would question taking a kid out to experience and do something like this lacks a basic appreciation of the importance of getting the next generation involved in hunting and conservation.

• Like 17

That's a cool experience for your son. Some of my best outdoors experiences with my sons, when they were young, was being hunkered on the ground with bulls/cows in close. My 32 year old son still talks about that.

• Like 1