Sign in to follow this  
SunDevil

Cheater, Cheater - WILDCAT NATION

The NCAA have their slaves. If you want to play with MY ball then you have to follow MY rules. Rule #1 I get the all of the money and you get not one penny. I own you and your parents if you want to play. I will dictate what you can wear. You are my property. Clueless

ThomC - why don't you go read some history books on slavery. Slaves had NO freedom. Regardless of what you might think, the NCAA does not OWN the student athletes and they most certainly do not OWN the student athletes parents. Yes you are clueless in comparing the two. Yes the NCAA makes a lot of money on sports but the student athlete is FREE to choose what they do. They are FREE to go do something else. I would encourage you to call into any sports talk radio program in the country and ask the experts if NCAA student athletes or their parents are slaves. They would probably hang up on you and then laugh at you on the air afterwards. I am not going to argue with you about this anymore.

Well I guess you went to ASU, enough said. I would not waste my time "arguing" with a goof. Or trying to teach a pig to sing.

College scholarship is equal to slavery and you are calling the other guy a goof?

Just.....WOW.

Out of curiosity ThomC, what University did you graduate from and what degree do you hold?

Well I guess you went to ASU, enough said. I would not waste my time "arguing" with a goof. Or trying to teach a pig to sing.

Typical U of A liberal entitled perspective. Compare apples to oranges, call both a potatoe.

• Like 2

College athletics isn't perfect and needs some cleaning up, but if you really think a scholarship athlete is a slave you are mistaken.

They are OFFERED an opportunity to trade there time & skills for an education, a place to live, meals, perks, etc. If they are really good at this job, they then may have the opportunity to trade those same skills for large mounts of money. If the don't have the skills to make money as a professional athlete, they should at least have a college education to help them make money in the real world like anyone else, and have ZERO student debt for it.

After 4-5 years they can leave school with the same or better education than most of the kids on campus had the opportunity for (if the chose to work hard) and not have any student loans. How much does an education cost? At most universities these days they are $25K+. How much do you think the average 18 year old kit would make if they didn't go to school and just started work after high school. Maybe he makes the same $25K a year, but that money has to pay for him to live. You get that education plus room & board as a scholarship athlete.

The player makes the decision on what they are doing with there life.

If you want to stand on a soap box for a college athlete do it for the walk ons and the ones who don't get scholarships. They are the ones who get the shortest end of the stick, but the still had a CHOICE try and make their way in life as an athlete.

Ya know....as I have thought about this I am leaning towards agreeing with ThomC. It IS slavery!

As an ex-slave I DEMAND reparations!

Pay up people! ThomC, let me know how much you would like to contribute to my entitlement.

I am waiting to see what happens to Miller. I bet Kentucky gets caught too......BOB!

I'd bet none of you have played major sports on a division 1 scholarship. You can't make any money while under scholarship. But the ncaa can peddle you to make billions of dollars a year. Yes you get a free education but guess what more often than not the program picks what classes you can take to fit around your sports schedule even choosing what you will and won't have time to major in.It is in most cases more like slavery than most would care to admit.

I'd bet none of you have played major sports on a division 1 scholarship. You can't make any money while under scholarship. But the ncaa can peddle you to make billions of dollars a year. Yes you get a free education but guess what more often than not the program picks what classes you can take to fit around your sports schedule even choosing what you will and won't have time to major in.It is in most cases more like slavery than most would care to admit.

Did you play college athletics on a scholarship?

I played D1 college football at Colorado State University without a scholarship. I was able to enjoy less perks than scholarship athletes did, but got to take all the abuse and was fortunate enough to get to pay for it all too. We had athletes that couldn't pass a drug test, and athletes studying for law school. It depended on how hard the player was wiling to work and what goals they intended to get out of it in the end.

One thing to remember about a decent amount of college athletes is that without athletics they wouldn't even get an opportunity to go to college because they didn't have the grade to get in, the means to pay for it, or the brain to finish it. A 4.2 second 40 yard dash gets alot of your crappy high school grades overlooked and the figure out how to get you on campus. The athlete needs to be smart enough to try and exploit the advantages his 4.2 second 40 yard dash got him while the NCAA is trying to exploit his physical skills.

You are given something in exchange for skills, just like a job. As a college athlete you often have access to alot of extra help from tutors and such at no extra expense to you. If you aren't smart enough to try and exploit so that is your own fault.

Maybe some schools pick your classes, but in my experience they often helped you figure out how to take the classes you needed to work toward your degree. Sometimes that meant leaving practice early a couple days a week. Sometime that meant working with tutors. Sometimes that meant having to bust arse across campus to try and get to practice on time or showing up just a few minutes late.

Maybe you played 5 years of D1 football or the like at a big program and they dictated your life to you, but I am willing to attest that what I dealt with at a mid-tier school school that was top 25 ranked around the time I was there, that wasn't my experience. I would not call it slavery in the least. Do some things need to be address in college athletics? Absolutely. To call it slavery is a huge stretch.

• Like 1

CLEARLY YOU did not go to college and rely on opinion pieces from ESPN for your education. Stop embarrassing yourself and please READ ANYTHING about slavery from an actual reliable source. Your statement is an INSULT. Next thing people like you will be comparing college athletics to the genocide of the Jews in WW2.

BUT....since you offered, I will be more than happy to take your bet. What amount would you like to wager?

Did you play college athletics on a scholarship?

I played D1 college football at Colorado State University without a scholarship. I was able to enjoy less perks than scholarship athletes did, but got to take all the abuse and was fortunate enough to get to pay for it all too. We had athletes that couldn't pass a drug test, and athletes studying for law school. It depended on how hard the player was wiling to work and what goals they intended to get out of it in the end.

One thing to remember about a decent amount of college athletes is that without athletics they wouldn't even get an opportunity to go to college because they didn't have the grade to get in, the means to pay for it, or the brain to finish it. A 4.2 second 40 yard dash gets alot of your crappy high school grades overlooked and the figure out how to get you on campus. The athlete needs to be smart enough to try and exploit the advantages his 4.2 second 40 yard dash got him while the NCAA is trying to exploit his physical skills.

You are given something in exchange for skills, just like a job. As a college athlete you often have access to alot of extra help from tutors and such at no extra expense to you. If you aren't smart enough to try and exploit so that is your own fault.

Maybe some schools pick your classes, but in my experience they often helped you figure out how to take the classes you needed to work toward your degree. Sometimes that meant leaving practice early a couple days a week. Sometime that meant working with tutors. Sometimes that meant having to bust arse across campus to try and get to practice on time or showing up just a few minutes late.

Maybe you played 5 years of D1 football or the like at a big program and they dictated your life to you, but I am willing to attest that what I dealt with at a mid-tier school school that was top 25 ranked around the time I was there, that wasn't my experience. I would not call it slavery in the least. Do some things need to be address in college athletics? Absolutely. To call it slavery is a huge stretch.

While I agree 100 percent that to call it slavery is a huge stretch and I am in no way saying it is even close to slavery. What I am saying is that the ncaa created this mess by not allowing these athletes to make money while in school. But the ncaa wants to make the money off of them instead. That's the problem.