Sign in to follow this  
Tropicalmulch

Opinions/help with my stepson

I knew I would have to scale back but I didn't realize how much. I learned to compromise with my boys telling them that if they give me the first and last 3 hours of the day we can do whatever they want in between. I take all the bb guns, bows, toys etc to keep them occupied. My older son isn't super interested in hunting but he's killed 3 elk and has been going along here and there since he was 8. When he's out there he enjoys it and automatically becomes a hunting mentor to his lil brother so I know he has appreciated some of it. I agree that once they have success, the hook is set. My kids will hunt. I will provide them that foundation. When they become adults and move out they can choose what they want from there.

Adam and I just talked about this very thing yesterday. I have a stepson that just isn't as interested as I was at that age and I know that is an unrealistic expectation. Hopefully with a little patience and persistence at the right times, they will come around. We are doing a youth elk hunt for him soon so hopefully things work out for the best. Good Luck!

Well said. I think I'll try that approach. Kinda give him my advise but let him make the decision. I really like the idea of letting him decide where to hunt for two reasons. First I think it will give him a sense of accomplishment on picking the spot and second he might pick areas that I would overlook.

I'm not a parent, so my opinion may not be worth much. It seems to me from what I see, kids are going to have a hard time getting into hunting if they live in the City. I grew up in a small town where it was so easy to hunt and shoot that my dad and I would do it a few times a week. It seems like if you live in the city, you can only do those things maybe once or twice a month. Even at that, some of those trips will be half assed because you can only spend a few hours doing it because of the need to get back and take care of other things. That and kids being so plugged in constantly it's easier to enjoy other hobbies out of necessity. It's the way small town and city people evolve. Don't think I'm bashing city people because I'm now one.

Oh, the other thing that helps is that we have no video games in our house. None. Zero.

They are a waste of time, thought and stunt cognitive development.

• Like 1

I basically started the hunting tradition for my dad and son and daughter. I do all the work and put the hunts in and they show up. It would be nice if they were involved more but it's always a great time when the hunt hits and I'm thankful for what we have. My daughter finally made her own call and is choosing not to hunt, my son works a busy schedule but looks forward to our hunt time with grandpa, and grandpa is starting to want to scout some. Take what you can get, the way I feel is I'm a little selfish and I do what I want which in this case means most of the work and spending the hunt making it great for my family. We all win.

It took a long time for my boy to come around, I pushed and pushed and I never understood why he didnt want to be out doors. The one day it all changed. I am asked him "why the change of heart". I want to be better than everyone else, all the other kids have toys and play stations, but i have a opportunity to do something most kids cant do. I get to hunt, go ride quads,shooting and best of all i get to spend time with my dad. I dam near broke down. Video games will be around for ever, but not every sunrise is the same. he will come around.

• Like 2

It took a long time for my boy to come around, I pushed and pushed and I never understood why he didnt want to be out doors. The one day it all changed. I am asked him "why the change of heart". I want to be better than everyone else, all the other kids have toys and play stations, but i have a opportunity to do something most kids cant do. I get to hunt, go ride quads,shooting and best of all i get to spend time with my dad. I dam near broke down. Video games will be around for ever, but not every sunrise is the same. he will come around.

This is cool to see...

My son loves his video games but let me mention I'm going shooting or hunting and he drops it in a heartbeat and goes with me.

• Like 1

My son loves his video games but let me mention I'm going shooting or hunting and he drops it in a heartbeat and goes with me.

That's how it is! The boys live on their XBOX's- (It's the modern day equivalent of getting on your bike, going to the corner, and seeing who's outside to play). -But once I mention the idea of setting up some new and interesting targets, it's time to go. And we mix it up for scouting. They grow bored quickly but I challenge them to make it a pseudo hunt. Can you actually find the animal, get in position, and think you can take a shot? Get the camera.

• Like 1

Cold snickers my own canteen and bb got me hooked. Bird hunting and than big game was my advancement from my bb gun days.

Make it fun more so than a hunt. Explain wild game tracks and test them on it.let them navigate the roads and where to hunt make it an adventure. Do not grind. Let them wake up slow or encourage them to nap on the mountain. Let them make choices on there hunt.

• Like 1

If they make the right call and they find game by making a left oppose to a right explain that there instinct prompted that choice etc. and to trust instinct

I have 2 kids my stepson who is 22 now has never been interested in the slightest to hunt or even go camping. he is solely into his computer & it frustrates the heck out of me, not a darn thing I can do to change his mind. My daughter who is mine is 17 & she has no interest in hunting either, she does like the outdoors & is pretty athletic so I'm good with that. I do alot of solo hunting or go with my

dad when he can go, which is most of the time. My only hope now is maybe when I get a grandkid I can teach him hunting, but were not pushing for grandkids at this point LOL.

So my scouting plans have changed based on some of the responses on here. Tomorrow the plan is to shoot. The boys choice, as well as the time. we'll leave (8 am) not what I would pick, but not a bad time. I'm still scouting with his cousin on Sunday. Anyway if anyone is at the 3 points range tomorrow and wants to chat we'll be there from about 9 to whenever (an hour or 2) starting at 100 and hopefully pushing out to 200. I'll be in a white tacoma

• Like 1