Sign in to follow this  
Yuma Outdoorsman

6 Day Growth

These pictures were taken 6 days apart. One is of the buck in full Velvet and the other is him with it rubbed off. I was surprised to see noticeable growth in only 6 days. Also, what is anybody's opinion on how wide he is? I was guessing 26-27.

post-12597-0-11479200-1508078267_thumb.png

post-12597-0-93172000-1508078453_thumb.png

• Like 2

I think your pretty darn close maybe even alittle better. Looks a lot like a buck I found last week up here awesome buck. guessing he's 28-29 wide. hes a toad. Hoping to find him again and get some pictures and or footage.

He should have looked smaller 6 days later. If the velvet pic is 6 days before rubbing then when that pic was taken he was def done growing hence 6 days later he rubbed his antlers becasue he was done growing and ready to rub his velvet off. I've never seen a buck that's ready to rub 6 days later get bigger but only smaller becasue of the loss of the " velvet look " and velvet adds inches to a score of a buck. The second pic makes no sense to me at all. He should have looked smaller 6 days later not bigger. Does anyone else have an explanation for how a buck that rubbed 6 days later was able to grow that much in 6 days?? Why would he rub his antlers in 6 days from the first pic if he was in a stage of that much antler growth. Makes no sense!!

No way he noticeably grew in 6 days AND rubbed velvet off. It is just the head position, ear position, body position, etc. But a great buck, and a shooter in almost any unit.

• Like 4

His velvet was dead 6 days before the pic. They stop growing a couple weeks before they shed the velvet. Great buck none the less. He did not grow and actually lost a couple inches from velvet to hard-horned.

• Like 2

Regardless id shoot him in January down here if I saw him :)

I have zero explanation and wasn't sure what to think between the 2 pics but it's for sure 6 days apart. I didn't try to make anything funny or create an illusion. For the "brush grew too" comment, I zoomed in on the first picture a bit because it wasn't as easy to see the andtlers in that pic. In the bottom one, I didn't zoom in much except to hide my info from my camera and it still looks bigger overall. I'm thinking if he would've had his ears spread out like the top he wouldn't look as big in the bottom pic as he does. I just put this camera up on 1st and pulled pics for the first time on the 6th and then went back again on the 12th to upload photos again and in that time he rubbed the Velvet off. Thanks for the tips and advice on some of the process of shedding Velvet. I'll keep an eye out for some of these other bucks and see when they start rubbing.

Angles and contrast in night photos can be deceiving. They can make a deer look much bigger or smaller than he is. I had a 180 class non typical come in for some night photos, and the antlers lit up with a black background looked huge, of course I freaked out. Then a few days later he came in for some daytime photos and I almost didnt think it was the same deer. If not for unique antler characteristics I would have guessed it was a different buck altogether. He went from pushing 200 to 180ish real quick. Sweet buck, Id guess 28-29 wide and somewhere in the 170s

• Like 1

The forks will also look deeper and bigger without the velvet and with his ears laid back a bit it does make him appear wider. Nice buck though.