Sign in to follow this  
GJMauro12

Fishing in Maui questions

I am going to be in Maui from 11/10-11/17 and I was looking into booking a day of fishing. Has anyone fished in Maui and have any suggestions?

fishing in Hawaii is very expensive, when we went we paid a lot to get a seat on a boat with 7 other dudes. they do a rod rotation and you have to just hope your rod gets hit. I think it really helps if you know someone there to point you in the right direction.

these dudes are very popular.

https://www.sportfishingmaui.com/

fishing in Hawaii is very expensive, when we went we paid a lot to get a seat on a boat with 7 other dudes. they do a rod rotation and you have to just hope your rod gets hit. I think it really helps if you know someone there to point you in the right direction.

these dudes are very popular.

https://www.sportfishingmaui.com/

I do know someone that lives there. Might try and find out if he has any Info or hook ups.

I think you just wanted to tell everyone you were going to Hawaii....

Yes, I am jealous.

This will be my first time there and its for my honeymoon. I wasnt too excited about it since Im such a homebody unless Im hunting but as the trip gets closer I think it will be a blast.

• Like 2

We never made it out fishing but had a blast when we went. We were lucky enough to meet some locals on the plane ride out there that helped us plan our trip. You should have a blast.

Call and talk to Shannon or AJ and see who they recommend. I chartered a day trip with them about 9 years ago with my buddy and our three kids. His daughter boated a Marlin in the 375-400 pound range while we were trolling about 30 minutes after my son caught a YellowFin that was about 135-150. She took about 45 minutes to get it to the boat and he took about 30 minutes.

Unfortunately she and her brother got sick so we called it a day just before noon. The price was right at $650.

https://live-bait.com/

FYI. If you catch a tuna over 100 lbs you will not be able to keep it. The captain and crew will sell it commercially.

I have fished out of there twice with zero bites and $600 each per day. I also fished out of another island and we caught a lot of small tuna. The crew keeps all of the fish. You might get a filet for dinner. I just went in August and no more Hawaii fishing for me. I think it is a ripoff.

if you want to catch a "grander", a 1,000 + lb marlin, Hawaii, the big island is the best place in the world to do it. there is just something unique about the ocean currents off from the coast of the big island that result in more granders being caught than anywhere in the world. a friend of mine went out of Kona with a buddy and 30 minutes out of the marina he hooked and landed a 600 lb black marlin. it took him 1.5 hrs to reel it in. they went back to the marina for pictures and then went back out for the rest of the day looking for whales. I have been on two boat rides in Hawaii. Not even a strike. Once was out of Maui and once was out of Kaui. Good luck and tight lines.