varnco

Camping in 7E in December

So, I have a bull tag for 7E at the beginning of December, and it will likely be below freezing at night, but likely above freezing during the day.

So, should I be worried about the camper I am renting and the pipes or fresh water tank freezing and busting?

How do others who hunt up north camp in the winter?

Thanks

A couple years ago we rented and just went dry with a bunch of gallons of water bottles to ho bath in.

Last year we took a buddies rv. We bought a role of duct wrap insulation and built a skirt around the bottom of the trailer. We planned to run a work light under the trailer at night to generate heat. The generator that was to run the light capped out so it was skirt only. It worked fine. The heat from the he trailer kept it warm. This was with temps in the low teens at night and wind. If it is colder your guess is as good as mine. We camped in an area with direct sun most of the hehe day too.

This was for the December cow elk hunt in 7e.

Pipes could crack but the tank is unlikely. When you leave them the pump off and open the spickets to release water pressure.

They also make an air fitting, you screw into the city water hookup and blow all the water out of the lines.

Wal Mart stocks them

Alaknak with a stove. I'm going 2 days early to prep camp and cut wood.

Last year in Dec it got close to 0. Froze all the water in camp. I'll be a bit more prepared this year.

See you there!

The other thing I would suggest is don't camp up next to the peaks unless you really plan to hunt them. Camp in some of the lower elevations to help get more sunlight during the day, and a little warmer temps.

Last time I hunted a December hunt next to Flagstaff we got a hotel and life was great! Got in late, warm room, hot shower and then went into to town and got dinner!! We were toasty! Few years back I was in december cow hunt in unit 10. Nights were -10 and highs were 0 degrees. Pipe froze and tank froze. Didn't break anything but lucky we had drinking water that didn't freeze. Next time Ill just bring jugs of water inside and heat it on the stove to take a sponge bath

My hunting buddy and I spent a night in my Kodiak canvas tent last year in 7e December cow hunt. We had a mr. Buddy heater running on high off a BBQ tank and it was ok. We had a second mr. Buddy running on light green tanks that we used when we got up in the AM to get it warmer and more comfortable.

You would need at least a couple BBQ tanks to make it through the whole hunt on buddy heaters though.

Use something to keep heat under the trailer and wind and air from sweeping under the trailer. I was up in 6b and froze about four years ago. Figured out seal to ground around the trailer and place a heat source under trailer to keep it warm and you should be fine.

Keep a few gallons in trailer for safe keeping. Just in case. Big buddy heaters work great and provide a lot of heat.

I've done canvas tent is sub-freezing weather multiple times. A good sleeping bag is a must. We basically use old scout wall tents hooked together with a wood stove in the middle. The middle stays warm, but when it's brutal cold the cold seeps in the end of the tent. The downside is no one wants to get up in the middle of the night to put wood in the stove. I will probably invest in a new wall tent in future.

The times I've slept in friend's campers, the heater kept it so warm I basically slept on top of my sleeping bag in my skivvies.

FWIW, I just got back from Flagstaff, and when the temp dropped below 25 at night, the water pump froze overnight - no water in the a.m.We put a Buddy heater under the camper as we went off hunting, and when we returned that night, everything was fine.