Sign in to follow this  
Adicted

Lets talk Prime Rib Cooking

First time trying to cook one. Picked up a great sell at bashas for 4.77 a lb. 22 lb slab. Tell me how YOU did it and how it came out. Give me some pointers

• Like 2

Deep fried is awesome...

I do the 500 @ 5 min per lb and shut oven off for 2 hrs. Bone down and dont open the oven for any reason. Comes out perfect every time and its simple.

• Like 3

Hit the same sale, and also got my crab legs and lobster tails, I love Christmas dinner

• Like 1

I do the 500 @ 5 min per lb and shut oven off for 2 hrs. Bone down and dont open the oven for any reason. Comes out perfect every time and its simple.

This is the way I have cooked my the last couple of years. Comes out perfect every time! Luv me some PR :o

That video explains it pretty well. It is really good.

Pick up one of these. https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP-16-Thermometer-Stainless-Temperature/dp/B017613C3C/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1513791091&sr=8-6&keywords=meat+thermometer

Cook at no hotter than 250, 225 might be better but will take longer. Put thermometer in thickest place on roast and cook till it reads 125. Pull and cover with foil, rest till it hits 130. Done.

If you use a thermometer you will get it just the way you want it every time. No guessing, no x amount of minutes per pound, no wondering how hot you oven actually cooks at, no mistakes or miscalculations allowed.

Some of the better thermometers have wireless transmitters so you can be sitting in your lazyboy watching a movie with the remote next to you. They will beep when you reach the temp you want.

Put it in the smoker around 275-300 degree for a couple of hours and watch the temp like a hawk. If its a large 7-9 lb take it off at 110 degrees and in 30-40 min it will rise to 120 degrees. If it is smaller 6lbs and less take it off at 113 degrees and it will end up at 120 degrees at rest. Dip it in au-jus with an awesome med-rare cut with a blast of oak smoke is divine!!!!

Smoked prime rib is awesome, but if you want to make it in the oven this is the best procedure. Note - searing is done at the end, not the beginning. Really there is no such thing as sealing in the juicies, it's a myth. Actually the opposite happens. Dry aging if you have time make a difference too. I just use salt, pepper, garlic powder and rosemary for the rub.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/dry-aged-standing-rib-roast-with-sage-jus-recipe-1939502

Also this is the best $71 (on sale) you will ever spend. It's accurate and fast which most (all) cheapo thermometers are not. Nothing like overcooking at $50 roast to find that out. Absolutely essential for wild game.

http://www.thermoworks.com/Classic-Thermapen?gclid=CjwKCAiA1O3RBRBHEiwAq5fD_CbsonphWU21YS88SuZMmiFQjYWm9OMEr5A0WeYGQ7R2Tc9VvnM75BoC9jEQAvD_BwE