n2horns

Motor rebuild F150 5.4 Triton shop recommendations

My motor on my f150 is just about done. Have a 2006 F150 with 5.4 Triton and need recommendations on a shop to either rebuild, replace with used or new motor.

Current motor has 217k.

Appreciate the feedback and recommendations.

Thanks

Andrew

Look and see what Ford has for crate motors for it. Then find a shop you trust to do the swap.

I own a repair shop and use Ford reman from the dealer. They are not cheap but have the best warranty and quality. While doing this motor you need to replace radiator, hoses, oil cooler if applicable and any other items such as belt, idlers, and tensioners.

I can send you a pm with shop phone number.

I was in the engine business for a while. I would definitely send Tac a PM and see what the cost would be. In order to guarantee the warranty like Tac said I would want to replace all the required wear parts needed. Believe it or not lots of Crate motors from the dealer would come from outside dealers like Jasper, Engine House, etc.

what I would do just because Im a car guy is buy a low mile used engine like from Arizona Auto parts, LKQ, etc. they will give a warranty with the motor. Not as good as a warranty as a crate or shop rebuild, but something. Used engines can be about the 1/3 of a cost of a rebuild. I was a broker for AZ auto parts and sold lots of motors for them, good quality long lasting to. If you need help locating a used engine PM me with the vin and Ill call my guys to see what they can do.

• Like 1

Be very careful when buying a motor from the dealer.......Many yrs ago I needed a motor in the wife's Ford Explorer.....After a great deal of research I decided to use five star ford as they offered a ford reman motor with a 2 yr 24.000 mile warranty. It was a bit more money then a few other shops but I figured I would get a better product from the dealer.....Boy was I ever wrong......what was supposed to take 10 days turned into a month....Was giving several different reasons as to why.....Finally had a service tech tell me the truth....The first motor they put in had a bad knock on start up.....It took two weeks to get jasper engines to send out another motor...I asked why they put a jasper rebuild in when my paperwork said ford reman on it....He stated they get their motors from who ever is the cheapest.....Finally got the vehicle back....On the way home from the dealer the check engine light came on....Turned around and went straight back..Had to leave the vehicle to be looked at....Got a call a few days later said it had a cracked head but wouldn't be covered by the warranty as they had already replaced the motor once....They told me that jasper had warranted out the first motor that was bad on start up and would not cover any additional repairs....After several weeks and many hrs on the phone with ford motor company the dealer made the repairs but charged me a 250.00 deductible. Over the course of the next two yrs the vehicle was back to the dealer 14 times for warranty repairs....6 times for a rear main seal leak that was never fixed properly.....since then any time I need a new motor I have the original motor rebuilt by a reputable shop and NEVER NEVER go reman.....In the end I ended up suing five star ford and did get my original 5500 dollars back but in no way was it worth the hassle.....

Be very careful when buying a motor from the dealer.......Many yrs ago I needed a motor in the wife's Ford Explorer.....After a great deal of research I decided to use five star ford as they offered a ford reman motor with a 2 yr 24.000 mile warranty. It was a bit more money then a few other shops but I figured I would get a better product from the dealer.....Boy was I ever wrong......what was supposed to take 10 days turned into a month....Was giving several different reasons as to why.....Finally had a service tech tell me the truth....The first motor they put in had a bad knock on start up.....It took two weeks to get jasper engines to send out another motor...I asked why they put a jasper rebuild in when my paperwork said ford reman on it....He stated they get their motors from who ever is the cheapest.....Finally got the vehicle back....On the way home from the dealer the check engine light came on....Turned around and went straight back..Had to leave the vehicle to be looked at....Got a call a few days later said it had a cracked head but wouldn't be covered by the warranty as they had already replaced the motor once....They told me that jasper had warranted out the first motor that was bad on start up and would not cover any additional repairs....After several weeks and many hrs on the phone with ford motor company the dealer made the repairs but charged me a 250.00 deductible. Over the course of the next two yrs the vehicle was back to the dealer 14 times for warranty repairs....6 times for a rear main seal leak that was never fixed properly.....since then any time I need a new motor I have the original motor rebuilt by a reputable shop and NEVER NEVER go reman.....In the end I ended up suing five star ford and did get my original 5500 dollars back but in no way was it worth the hassle.....

this was a jasper engines problem I found that with most jasper products over the years. I would not put a jasper engine in my go cart

I worked at Earnhardts ford for 17.5 years before opening my own shop. I was a heavyline tech and did alot of motors over the years the actual ford quality remans have been great. I did see a few problems of the hundereds i put in but all were covered under warranty.

It sucks that you had such a bad experience with five star.

I own a shop as well and would recommend staying away from jasper as well. Had lots of problems with a unit I put in for a customer and ended up paying a local builder to fix it right since jasper wouldn't stand behind the product. When we took the motor apart not all the cylinders where bored to the same size I couldn't believe it. That was the last time we ever used jasper.

Have any of you guys used Engine House in Phx? Thats who I rep for, for about 5 years. I have had very little to no problems with their rebuilds.

All thanks for the suggestions. Been talking with Tac and he / shop was great to answer questions on quotes!

I had Bailey’s machine shop in Mesa rebuild a 5.4 for me a few years ago. They did a great job and price was competitive.

Surprised that Jasper is still in business. I have always been leery of the Remanufactured engine houses, that offer cheap engines. It's a volume business. Rebuilding a high mileage engine requires a lot of machining and tolerances need to be accurate. A time consuming process.