Sign in to follow this  
Coues24A

.270 vs. 7mm

I am trying to decide which rifle I should use for my back up. It will be used primarily for Coues deer. I am trying to decide between my Weatherby Vangard in a .270 Win. or my Mossberg 810 in a 7mm Remington Mag. I will be reloading so I can make either one a little hotter. I've been thinking of the 130gr. Ballistic Tip for the .270 and the 140gr. BT for the 7mm. I think I can get close to 3200fps with both, that should be adequate. I think the more accurate rifle should probably get the nod. Any advice?

I agree, the more accurate of the 2 should get the hunt. The ballistics between the 2 isn't a whole lot of difference! Good luck!

I love my .270 Weatherby Mag, but since that isn't part of your question I'll have to go with the 7mm. I like fast and flat and the 7mm should be able to push a 140 greain bullet faster than the .270. I think it also makes a better elk rifle if you were to load some heavier bullets.

It may come down to which one you shoot better, but I have used a 7mm mag for many years and highly recommend it. Peformance on any game is good!

270 w/ 130gr has knocked many, many deer down. Why would anyone want to use a 140 for whitetail unless the shots are over 400yds? Muley or elk, OK but I never saw the need for anything bigger than 130gr for the smallish whitetails here in the southern part of the US. Probably nearly as many killed with 95-100gr 243s.

Both are more than adequate for coues. I have owned both. I sold the 7mm and kept the .270 (for sentimental reasons). But both preformed well on anything I shot. I'd chose the one you feel MOST confident in shooting and go with it. Best of luck. You won't go wrong with either choice.

Scott G.

I am not a big fan of either and have not shot either. My belief is that I can shoot my entire life and never need a cartridge with a silly belt. The belt was originally to headspace a .375 H&H!

The 7mm mag burns too much powder, too much noise too much recoil. Shoot 140 grainers in the .270 O'Conner at or above 3000 fps and do not look back!

280REM

You can compare factory ballistics here

http://www.federalcartridge.com/ballistics...earm=1&s1=1

The 270 and 7mag are so close that I would choose the more accurate,comfortable rifle from field positions, and with the best trigger. I have not found the 7 mag recoil to be abusive, but the 270 is friendlier.

Regarding being able to load hot and get more velocity, I would not want a possible pierced primer and gas in my face.

3200fps with a 130 grain and sane pressures in a 270??? :huh: :huh: :huh:

Flight of bullet and drop are nearly identical. Footpounds should not be an issue on a 100 pound max animal. Go with the lighter kicking, lighter rifle with the best scope. I think you are comparing apples to apples.

Bob