Sign in to follow this  
GreyGhost85

WTB 22 Hornet or ?

Hand loaded 35 gr. V MAX from the Hornet puts coyotes right down, its also great for bobcats. I like the K Hornet.

I am trying to figure out the best way to go....my buddy keeps telling me that one of the high power air rifles is the way to go.

Check out Airguns of Arizona

That's where I am going to look. Thanks

I have had so many 218 Bees that I can't remember where they came from or where they went :)

The one I have now I traded with a guy and got it more recently. I'm having a coyote problem and I thought it would be the answer. I haven't sighted in it yet but I came across a Ruger 77 in 17 HMR and I thought that might work better but I am still working on it. I'm in an area where I have to be careful with what I shoot.

I have a 77/17 in 17 Mach m2, 17 HMR, 17 WSM, and 17 hornet. Its like a golf bag when Im shooting gophers, wedge, iron, wood or driver! Love those guns and they quit making them so they are getting pretty valuable.

• Like 1

Which one would you say is best, all around?

I really like the 17 hornet just because I have a hard on for hornets for some reason (my first centerfire as a kid was a 77/22 hornet). That being said the WSM is close ballistically and being a rimfire it is cheaper to buy ammo for by far so if I had to pick one it would be that one. I love the HMR and Mach 2 but they really arent any cheaper ammo wise then the WSM and they dont have the knock down power the WSM does. Theyre my favorite for little striped gophers and black bird patrol though.

17 Remington!!!

I Just got my first one and i'm extremely impressed.

I've always used a rim fire 22 mag and when you could get the correct ammo it would shoot 1/2 " groups at 100 yds. But as soon as they would change lot #s then the hunt was on for another factory load.

With the 17 Remington I can reload and have a very consistent load'

Also you can buy factory ammo for this caliber, although it's very expensive.

4000 fps , 30gr pill , extremely accurate!

JMHO

Also, Airguns of Az. is a great place to do business.

I got the Daystate Regal! ,same hole at 20 yds ,

These little airguns are kinda expensive on the front line but I've got 1500 rounds through mine and they are just plain fun and deadly accurate on the yard critters.

• Like 1

Soooo... anyone got a 22 hornet? I dont need an airgun or a 17 caliber

• Like 1

GreyGhost85,

You won't have the cool factor of a hornet (or a K-hornet), but you can duplicate the ballistics easily in a 22" bbl. .222 Rem. Other advantages include easier to find factory ammo and components ( bullets, brass), world-class accuracy, and the option to hotrod loads if you want, to include 64 gr. W-W power points or Barnes bullets for use on larger critters.

With a .222 you could probably extend the range of a hornet by 100 yds. depending on the weight of the rifle and barrel length.

forepaw

GreyGhost85,

You won't have the cool factor of a hornet (or a K-hornet), but you can duplicate the ballistics easily in a 22" bbl. .222 Rem. Other advantages include easier to find factory ammo and components ( bullets, brass), world-class accuracy, and the option to hotrod loads if you want, to include 64 gr. W-W power points or Barnes bullets for use on larger critters.

With a .222 you could probably extend the range of a hornet by 100 yds. depending on the weight of the rifle and barrel length.

forepaw

Appreciate it, but already own a Sako Riihimaki .222. I don’t have any “need” for a Hornet by any means. Thanks for all the responses