Sign in to follow this  
broadhead

Specific Spotting Scope Advice

I tell my friends all the time when they want to look through my Swaros that it is going to cost them, and not because I am charging anything.

• Like 4

See what happens when I don't check in on this thread for a day? ANARCHY! It's cool, forums will forum.

But the good news is I've made my decision. I actually went to a real live place where people are there that you talk to other than in a chat box and put my hands on the Swarovski ATX and the Razor Gen II Razor 85. I also looked a lot into the Meopta (easy, fellas... stay calm) and the athos... atlas... athleteos... athlon whatever it's called and I decided on buying... nothing. Seriously all that hard work and research and I'm standing pat with what I have, or at least for the immediate time being. Actually to be honest I went in hoping the Razor would impress me a little bit more when compared to the Swarovski. Yes I knew they're two different levels but my hope was that I would be okay with the disparity but the truth is it just wasn't. When I looked through the Swaro and the Vortex out to about 1200 yards I knew I wouldn't be happy with the Razor so I decided I'll squirrel away some cash over the next season... or two or three... and get me a Swaro for life. Don't get me wrong, the Vortex will work, and work very well, especially if you don't let yourself get hung up on what else is out there. But we all have our personal preferences, and one of those being how much we can stomach handing over for some plastic and glass. I'm just willing to wait a little longer.

But I very much do appreciate all the feedback. It helped me get to the answer I really needed. All of you send me your mailing address so I can send you a Christmas card next year. Now for me I'll be back to scouting and looking at guns and scopes n s***. Later fellas.

b

So how did the Athlon compare to the razor? Was it the Ares you looked through?

And the Meopta S2 smokes them all and is on par,if not better than, the 80mm+ Swaro HD's...

I mostly just come on here to read and rarely post, but comments like this drive me nuts. I got the impression he was looking for fact based comparisons and examples from first hand experience rather than stupid closed minded opinions presented as fact. So I guess we can assume that you have had "them all" out in the field and done a side by side comparison since the Meopta S2 clearly "smokes them all". If so, let's hear it? If not you might just give your your reasons for your spotter of choice rather than make broad arrogant statements that make you look foolish.
All you do is talk shoot on here. At least try to be funny with your anger

So how did the Athlon compare to the razor? Was it the Ares you looked through?

I only put the Razor and the Swaro ATX in a side by side only because those are the two they carried at Sportsman's Warehouse. While I was reading through the replies I started doing more and more research and YouTube reviews/digiscope videos of all the other ones to get a feel for some of the other options. The main factors I took into consideration were quality, price and warranty among the Vortex, Swarovski, Athlon and Meopta. There are so many options out there I quit trying to compare every single one and just stuck with those to narrow down. I would like to get my hands on an Athlon while I save up for my next eventual optic but I think I'll end up going with the tried and true Swarovski once I scrape together the cash. A buddy brought up a good point today. He asked if I plan to hunt for the rest of my life, which I am. He asked if the Swarovski will be a piece of gear I'll be able to use as long all that time without missing out on quality. It is. Even though better models will likely come out the issue of saving up for one more season in the long run really isn't that big of a sacrifice.

See what happens when I don't check in on this thread for a day? ANARCHY! It's cool, forums will forum.

But the good news is I've made my decision. I actually went to a real live place where people are there that you talk to other than in a chat box and put my hands on the Swarovski ATX and the Razor Gen II Razor 85. I also looked a lot into the Meopta (easy, fellas... stay calm) and the athos... atlas... athleteos... athlon whatever it's called and I decided on buying... nothing. Seriously all that hard work and research and I'm standing pat with what I have, or at least for the immediate time being. Actually to be honest I went in hoping the Razor would impress me a little bit more when compared to the Swarovski. Yes I knew they're two different levels but my hope was that I would be okay with the disparity but the truth is it just wasn't. When I looked through the Swaro and the Vortex out to about 1200 yards I knew I wouldn't be happy with the Razor so I decided I'll squirrel away some cash over the next season... or two or three... and get me a Swaro for life. Don't get me wrong, the Vortex will work, and work very well, especially if you don't let yourself get hung up on what else is out there. But we all have our personal preferences, and one of those being how much we can stomach handing over for some plastic and glass. I'm just willing to wait a little longer.

But I very much do appreciate all the feedback. It helped me get to the answer I really needed. All of you send me your mailing address so I can send you a Christmas card next year. Now for me I'll be back to scouting and looking at guns and scopes n s***. Later fellas.

b

I've done similar comparisons on optics in the past when I "wanted" a new optic but didn't really need one and had a self imposed ceiling on what I wanted to pay. The more I looked the bigger my budget became. LOL

Funny how that seems to happen huh?

Went in looking at a Nikon for my AR and came out with an ACOG.

What size objective was on the ATX?

Thanks, I forgot to mention that. The only model they had on hand was the 95mm, so the big boy. I was impressed with the weight tho. I think in my mind I played it up to be bulkier and heavier than it actually is.

Also I have an update on another one of the scopes that have been brought up in this thread (quite passionately, I must say). I stopped at one of the gun and gear shops in town and was wandering by the end of the optics counter where I noticed a Meopta S2 82 on sale. The guy behind the counter was all for attaching it to a tripod and taking it outside for a look to test it out. Granted, we were pretty much in the middle of Tucson but were generally toward the northern end of the city where we had a nice clear view of the mountains to the north. We set it up and got some great looks through it all the way out to the ridge line about 6 miles away. It was a brief test in the brightest possible daylight conditions but the focus was smooth and the scope was really nice. Great clarity. I would love to get that scope out in the field and put it through a real test. Point being, if you're considering getting this scope I wouldn't talk you out of it. If anyone has any experience with it in low light please chime in.

Message Adam, bigbrowns, on here. He sold an 80mm swaro spotter and went to the s2. He is a little goofy so be ready 😄

There are reasons why these guys are switching over to the S2. I did and won't ever look back. I prefer an angles myself. The large objective lens never bothered me when it came to weight. I found personally the 70 magnification has been great especially when you're trying to look at an animal that's in thick brush.

This picture was taken at 70x. The tree is about 125yards away. Thoroughly look through any glass to make sure that it's acceptable at all power ranges before you even buy

post-252-0-51908200-1518225107_thumb.jpg

I love my meopta and believe that it is better than the swarovski sts/ats models. However, if you have your heart set on the stx/atx swarovski I think you'll be dissapointed if you go with the meopta.