Sign in to follow this  
cjl2010

Tiny groups

Haha I knew this would be worth a good laugh. With the internet and social media sometimes I feel embarrassed when I go shoot and my groups are bigger than 1/2 inch. Shooting groups at 100 is my least favorite thing when it comes to shooting

Haha I knew this would be worth a good laugh. With the internet and social media sometimes I feel embarrassed when I go shoot and my groups are bigger than 1/2 inch. Shooting groups at 100 is my least favorite thing when it comes to shooting

Well don't loose any sleep over "groups". If you are a Benchrest shooter then go chase it. If you just have a hunting rig, understand it and know where it will hit the first time since we usually only get one opportunity at a shot, consistency will get you a reasonable close impact out to a few hundred yards.

Even 2 MOA will put you in the kill zone out to 400 yards if you have the ability to make that shot.

Most people just shoot a couple of times a year. If you want to hone your skill beyond your "natural ability" then go call coyotes, start shooting High Power Silhouette or hunt jack rabbits with your deer rifle when they are on a flat run.

Everyone wants to expect they will see deer at a great distance and wait for that perfect shot but reality is sometimes a shot presents itself in a blink of an eye and it's all over in five seconds.

• Like 3

I photographed the world record 5 shot target by McMillan... it was one hole. I hear it was beaten, however it stood for many, many years.

https://mcmillanusa.com/world-record-group/

That is tight. For me, If I'm relatively close... good enough for what I'm doing.

• Like 1

I think it depends on whether you are a coues hunter or a coues sniper.... Does your rifle weigh more than 10 lbs? Is your turret over 30mm? Are your turrets exposed?

These are all very important questions that will help the internet to judge you...

Could be whether you weigh 10 lbs. more, is your -------- over 30mm, what is exposed? More variables to consider. I reserve judgement till all the facts and fictions are in. :mellow:

• Like 1

I photographed the world record 5 shot target by McMillan... it was one hole. I hear it was beaten, however it stood for many, many years.

https://mcmillanusa.com/world-record-group/

That is tight. For me, If I'm relatively close... good enough for what I'm doing.

It was beaten last year twice in the same match I believe. Perfect day at the range.

I like the jack wagons that say if you cant shoot a 1/2" group or mow fletchings you shouldn't even be out hunting!

• Like 1

I like the jack wagons that say if you cant shoot a 1/2" group or mow fletchings you shouldn't even be out hunting!

No kidding. I haven't stacked 'em up like old Oneshot has, but I've killed a few deer... Not even one of them had little tiny lungs the size of a quarter.

• Like 2

I'm one where group size matters. It's a personal thing. I also have no problem telling myself that I'll never be the worlds best. I even accept that I may not be the best in a group of people at the range. But it feels real good to get that perfect group. It's happened to me many times. It's awesome when there are a few people at the range and everyone is spotting for each other and they get to watch it happen. Sometimes I shoot a great group and then on the next five rounds it's scattered. Recently, I shot my 300 WBY at the range with factory Weatherby ammo and had two good groups. The first and second was 1/4" or less. The third was probably 1-1/4". So it definitely depends on how consistent the shooter is. The two near perfect groups messed with my head and I must have rushed the third. I adjusted the scope between the three groups so they are on the same target and it looks real cool.. I'll find the target and post a pic sometime, I don't have the binder that has all of my load data and targets nearby.

I've learned that to get good groups the rifle has to be special. The groups seem to be much tighter in custom or semi custom rifles. I've never had a garden variety, off the shelf rifle do better than 1".

Was at the range today. Doing some load development on a couple rifles with a couple different bullets thrown together in one, charge weight testing in the other after a ladder test. Very happy with most of the results. Almost everything was under .75", more than half were under .5". (AxisWorks rifles).

This is just 4 different loads with the 160 TMK seated to the lands over H1000, just thrown together to see if they would show any promise...

20180310_082444_zpsdtlggecn.jpg

Then....2 tables away.....big talker with a pretty nice rifle. Bragging to his buddybat the next bench on how last week he shot a 1" group at 600 yards. Nice Kimber rifle with a nice NF scope. Well....100 yards, 5 shot group was a minimum of 6", probably closer to 8".

So that proves right there that one week you can shoot a 1" group @ 600 yards, then the next week shoot a 6" group at 100 yards......right?

• Like 4

I think it depends on whether you are a coues hunter or a coues sniper.... Does your rifle weigh more than 10 lbs? Is your turret over 30mm? Are your turrets exposed?

These are all very important questions that will help the internet to judge you...

Ahhh very wise words, obviously you are a man that lives by a higher code

Guest oneshot

No kidding. I haven't stacked 'em up like old Oneshot has, but I've killed a few deer... Not even one of them had little tiny lungs the size of a quarter.

Smile when you say that Mattys281...

Ar-15 shorty, 50rds @ 50, kneeling supported, 0x red dot scope... Smile and center mass blow-through...

post-1378-0-29897800-1522037596_thumb.jpg

Man, you should be embarrassed. If you can't shoot that rifle to quarter moa than you should give it away to somebody who is already familiar with such embarrassment.

Somebody, like me for example, who's fat and funny looking so people don't even notice the big groups.

• Like 2

Sometimes, everything comes together.

20180325_100543_zpsqvegjkhq.jpg

Even for 5 shots in a row!

20180318_095259_zpstelcurgy.jpg

Do you know infuriating it is when you have 4 shots in one single.hole, and you have one pull opening a group up from the .0s to the mid .1s?

20180318_095255_zpsr4qvodbu.jpg

OK, maybe not infuriating, but still a let.down.

• Like 2