Sign in to follow this  
Non-Typical Solutions

Interesting BAN!!!

Freedom of religion not freedom from religion.

I am 54 years old and so ashamed of my generation. We have just sat apathetically by and let all this crap happen. Many years from now, when historians write about our generation I'm afraid they will not be kind.

Freedom of religion can definitely include freedom from religion. The framers of the Constitution put in place separation of church and state and freedom of religion because they wanted the citizens to have freedom from religion imposed upon them by the government or other citizens. The sign in the picture was very poorly done as it singled out one specific religion. Country music? Way too controversial I'm not going to touch that one.

If that were the case, all religious practices should only take place in doors. But it is not the case, when John Leland and Isaac Backus petitioned the founding fathers to include the right to worship, they included the phrase, nor prohibit the free exercise thereof. This specifically guaranteeing you could worship outdoors and in public. (Before the bill of rights, in many states, you could not worship outdoors or in public. People were tired of this, as many groups couldn't afford a church house, and/or felt the need to proselytize and worship in public) See the book, America in Crimson Red, by James Beller, for all the gritty details about this amendment.

Private property may be a different issue in this situation, but if the condo has received federal funds, they may or may not have the right to ban religious practices.

As far as I'm concerned if it wasn't in the lease or whatever you signed when you moved in it isn't enforceable. Not much for religion, had my fill of it growing up. But everyone is entitled to pursue it in their own way without persecution.

• Like 2

I am 54 years old and so ashamed of my generation. We have just sat apathetically by and let all this crap happen. Many years from now, when historians write about our generation I'm afraid they will not be kind.

Freedom of religion can definitely include freedom from religion. The framers of the Constitution put in place separation of church and state and freedom of religion because they wanted the citizens to have freedom from religion imposed upon them by the government or other citizens. The sign in the picture was very poorly done as it singled out one specific religion. Country music? Way too controversial I'm not going to touch that one.

Actually separation of church and state is not in the constitution. It was Thomas Jefferson's interpretation of a part of the first amendment. It had been created by supreme court precedent but If you read the original letter it seems it has been taken out of context to limit how or where you can practice your religion.

It really has more to do with keeping the government out of churches than keeping people from praying in school

• Like 2

If that were the case, all religious practices should only take place in doors. But it is not the case, when John Leland and Isaac Backus petitioned the founding fathers to include the right to worship, they included the phrase, nor prohibit the free exercise thereof. This specifically guaranteeing you could worship outdoors and in public. (Before the bill of rights, in many states, you could not worship outdoors or in public. People were tired of this, as many groups couldn't afford a church house, and/or felt the need to proselytize and worship in public) See the book, America in Crimson Red, by James Beller, for all the gritty details about this amendment.

Private property may be a different issue in this situation, but if the condo has received federal funds, they may or may not have the right to ban religious practices.

I remember historical accounts of people gathering at a tree or other object for their religious service because they could not afford to build a church. Private property is the major issue here. An owner rents or leases to a variety of individuals. Each has a private area of their own and there are common areas that all share. I don't expect management has a right to ban religious practice unless such activity became a legitimate disturbance to other residents. If residents wish to practice the religion of their choice in their rooms or quietly in common areas there should be no issue. If they wish to have religious artifacts like a crucifix or buddha statue in their room there should be no issue. If they wish so sit in a common area and read their bible, quran, etc. there should be no issue. When a number of people join together and turn a common area that belongs to all residents into their church by holding a religious service the remaining residents have a right to object, it is part of their home also. I seriously doubt federal law protecting worship in public would apply to private property. Of course there is always a chance something like this could make its way to the supreme court as a constitutional issue. There may be some applicable law at state level.

For all we know that picture was made by a Russian troll farm to sow dissension amongst us.

But if it's real, who cares? Throughout history, Christianity has survived a lot more that a printed out Word document saying no "Christian Music" (whatever that is). And the sign didn't say people can't be Christian or listen to Christian music on their headphones. It simply seems to prohibit religious music from being piped through the PA system. (If the sign was not fake, or made only to inflame emotions, maybe it would have just said "No Religious Music." ) Should residents be forced to hear a caterwauling call to prayer 5 times a day over the loudspeaker? I hope not.

But I end where I started. I call "fake sign."

How will future generations judge us? Maybe this way:

The religion of one age is the literary entertainment of the next.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Like 2

Joy Behar is spreading her hatred all over the place.

Yeah it probably was put up by a tenant not the facility. Wait... that's naturebobs place!

• Like 1

christians have a right to worship and I fully support it...

christian religion inflicted upon...

I could not use both these sentences in the same paragraph.

I once found myself living under the same roof as Muslims, Buddhists, and Christians

There were no theological conflicts but there was respect.

Although it got a little testy once when the Buddhists chanting was drowning out a televised playoff game. A quick trip to the corner pub and dilemma solved.

• Like 3

christians have a right to worship and I fully support it...

christian religion inflicted upon...

I could not use both these sentences in the same paragraph.

I once found myself living under the same roof as Muslims, Buddhists, and Christians

There were no theological conflicts but there was respect.

Although it got a little testy once when the Buddhists chanting was drowning out a televised playoff game. A quick trip to the corner pub and dilemma solved.

I can definitely see how you find that to be a contradiction.

Like other rights freedom of religion has limits. I have heard someone describe limits on our rights like this. You have a right to swing your fist all that you want but as soon as you hit someone else they have a right to charge you with assault. Although you have freedom of speech you can not walk into a court room and just start saying whatever you want. You cannot yell fire in a crowded theater when there is not one and cause a stampede without repercussion. You cannot run around yelling you are going to kill the president without the secret service hauling you in. I admit I am reading a little more into the situation than what the news report and picture provide. I expect it was not an isolated incident but an ongoing series of events that triggered the sign. The inflicted upon comment is intended from the point of view of the non-christians who have likely had numerous situations where their common living area has been invaded by a religion they do not wish to participate in. Reverse the roles and make the christians the victim and muslims or buddists the aggressor and I would see it the same way. In this case I am of the opinion that the christians exceeded their rights by utilizing a common area for all residents when apparently all residents are not christian. If the residents were like you and your roommates one would think they could sit down and devise a schedule that would allow certain groups sole use of the room at certain times and diffuse the situation for the benefit of all.

There is no right to not be offended. If people have a problem with something going on in a public space they can either tune it out or leave.

Religious people are east to pick on but there are other things many people find offensive or downright disgusting that you would be hard pressed to bam in a public place

• Like 1

A little skunk essence would keep everyone out.

That reminds me, 4/20 comin up

A little skunk essence would keep everyone out.

That reminds me, 4/20 comin up

That skunk essence might be able to get the whole group to get along in the same room.