Sign in to follow this  
CatfishKev

Synthetics vs wool

What have been the best bang for your buck merino baselayer brands? Been watching camofire but I'm always a bit hesitant. I wonder WHY the stuff is on sale cheaper.

• Like 1

See above post...

Also what brands have you guys had luck with on Amazon? I want to order baselayers but I'm afraid the sizes won't come in right.

What have been the best bang for your buck merino baselayer brands? Been watching camofire but I'm always a bit hesitant. I wonder WHY the stuff is on sale cheaper.

Just stuff that is over stock or just doesn't sell for one reason or another. Most of it is repetitive. I have only bought stuff off there once or twice in 10 years. It is really just for people who impulse buy. Kinda like the people who are compelled to go to Walmart or Costco and hit every isle because they need interaction.

The only merino unders I own are First Lite and they are excellent garments. No shrink, no stink, nice and comfortable in a wide range of temps.

• Like 1

See above post...

Also what brands have you guys had luck with on Amazon? I want to order baselayers but I'm afraid the sizes won't come in right.

I've been really impressed with Duluth trading Co's line of Alaskan Hard Gear merinos as well as they're puffy vests and jackets. I work in very remote parts of Alaska and have put their stuff through the ringer. I also only buy darn tough socks. For me the Darn toughs are the most comfortable and don't stink. I wore a pair for ten days straight without washing and the didn't stink, get stiff, or cause foot issues.

I’m another fan of wool. I’ve used a couple different flavors of synthetic over the years and found I got pretty stinky after a couple days on the trail. Wool doesn’t get as bad at least not in my experience. I also find it feels warmer on the January hunts.

Just got a few pairs of men and women's merino socks off Sierra trading post. Closeouts so selection wasn't great but you can't beat 3-5$ per pair.

I have never had nice hunting clothes. I bought a Firstlight merino wool mid layer shirt with hoodie, and DANG I LOVE that thing. Comfortable and keeps you warm. I have had used it a fair amount and it is a go to. It washes out easy, and doesn't smell nearly as fast as other clothes. 

I also have switched to merion wool boot socks and really like them. I have a couple decent Under Armor midlayer shirts I like, but the merion is better no doubt. 

On 6/21/2018 at 7:58 PM, bojangles said:

Wool underlayer, synthetic outer layers.

Im a huge fan of smart wool, and I have some nice wool sweaters too. I just ordered a Pendleton wool shirt too. But I like synthetic for jackets and pants.

This is my general strategy too.  Merino wool next to my skin, although I do have some polypro long johns.  But the base layer on top is nearly always Merino from either Black Ovis or Kuiu.

Mid layers I use synthetic typically, and the outer layer.  Just handles getting wet better.

Seems like Merino really controls the stink.  And some of the stink control in the mid layer synthetics from Sitka seems to work very well.

Wool socks for sure.

At the end of the season I wash and dry my wool stuff, then put it in ziplock bags and in the freezer for a week or two.  Then into the closet without breaking the seal.  Moths love merino.

So, a 3 year old thread is revived for new discussion  by scammer salesperson?

15 hours ago, NOTAGS said:

SPAM alert

Maybe edit their link out of your reply so their spam attempt isn't successful :)

After hunting in AK for years with synthetics, I made the switch to wool and have not looked back. It regulates your temperature like synthetics but doesn’t promote bacteria growth like synthetics. I can pack one shirt on a sheep hunt and come home after five days of sweating and barely have body odor. After 1/2 day of sweating in a poly shirt I can’t stand myself. I can pack less clothes which is huge on a backpack trip. Just my preference.