Sign in to follow this  
win71

Food for Thought

I just got home from Minnesota. The guys at my office think anything over 100 yards is long range.

• Like 1

Great kills and congratulations, but I think this proves what I am trying to say. A fourteen year old with the right firearm can kill a great buck at distance. Show me where a 14 year old has killed any buck at under 30. I hope the draw is tomorrow or I will get beaten up.

How about a javalina @ 18 yards by an 11 years old?

022_zps2af843ef.jpg

Thats cool. what was more memorable the 18 yard shot or the 600?

I helped my 14 year old nephew shoot his first javelina at 2 yards with his bow. It is something he will never forget.

• Like 1

How about a mountain lion shot spot stock style at a distance measured in feet not yards?

Thats my goal with a recurve.

I designed the lighting for a hunters trophy room in safford. Part of my price was getting the guided tour of his 'museum'. One of the animals was a full mained lion that him and the 'black trackers' were after for three days until it took him into chest high grass and waited facing (lion facing his backtrail) for him and the trackers to get to him. He shot it at 6 or 7 yards. Since then, I have been trying to accomplish that goal. It will be very unlikely that I will go to Africa, but I try our lions many times every year. Been within archery range 3 times.

We can agree to disagree, I never said long range shooting is unethical, I am saying it is easier. You are bypassing the animals defenses and the level of fair chase is less with long range shooting than getting close.

How is it easier?

I killed my first whitetail at 17 yds with a bow and my last whitetail was 475 yds with a rifle. It took me 20 minutes to calm down enough to kill the last one. The first buck I killed was probably the most calm and easiest kill Ive made. To each there own but classifying one easier just because you think so doesnt make sense to me.

So in other words its easier to kill them inside 50 yds with a bow than it is over 400 with a rifle.... because I said so

• Like 1

The problem is not if someone who does the work, has the skill, and practice,practice. It is the rookie someone that sees or hears of that someone who is skilled and says I think that I will try it. I am sure that many outfitters take rookies out and find out that they cant hit the broad side of the barn. But, guess what money changes everything.

" A man should know his limitations" and be honest about what they can and cant do. But, will they? Getting all butt hurt that someone is going to take away something you like does not help. It is a discussion we should have before it becomes a problem.

• Like 1

How is it easier?

I killed my first whitetail at 17 yds with a bow and my last whitetail was 475 yds with a rifle. It took me 20 minutes to calm down enough to kill the last one. The first buck I killed was probably the most calm and easiest kill Ive made. To each there own but classifying one easier just because you think so doesnt make sense to me.

So in other words its easier to kill them inside 50 yds with a bow than it is over 400 with a rifle.... because I said so

You sure are lucky your last whitetail wasn't over 1000 yds. You might of had a hear attack.

I hope you are being sarcastic when you say it is easier with a bow under 50 vs a rifle over 400. In one case you are truly hunting. In the other simply finding animals and killing them by testing your shooting skills.

The problem is not if someone who does the work, has the skill, and practice,practice. It is the rookie someone that sees or hears of that someone who is skilled and says I think that I will try it. I am sure that many outfitters take rookies out and find out that they cant hit the broad side of the barn. But, guess what money changes everything.

" A man should know his limitations" and be honest about what they can and cant do. But, will they? Getting all butt hurt that someone is going to take away something you like does not help. It is a discussion we should have before it becomes a problem.

Your post hits home with me and aligned with my thoughts. I seen too many hunters buy a 1000 yd gun and are therefore a 1000 yd killer. One client was disappointed because he shot his sheep at 250 yds. He was hoping for a long shot.

Last year we picked up clients in Tucson for a Mexico WT hunt. I was helping a young married couple. They flew their plane in a couple of days early so they could go to Western Precision and pick up their brand new 28 Nosler. While there, they spent a half day at the range with Brent shooting out to 1000 yds.

The wife had never hunted before and had only shot a rifle a few times in her life. She also had compromised vision. When I ask her how far she thought she would be comfortable shooting out to all the guys answered for her....1000 yds of course. They had the new rifle to do it! I told her that we probably wouldn't shot that far.

We got in a very controlled situation at 500 yds where we could take 20 minutes to set up and dry fire a few times. 500 yds was about perfect. We were out of the bucks comfort zone so we could take the time to measure, calculate, get prone and comfortable, talk, etc. She was the first to kill on this trip. When we hiked up to her deer there was a big buck nosing a doe less than 75 yds away. The buck had heavy, gnarly, antlers with a palmate'd right antler with lots of points. 115 plus type deer. I told the husband to "shoot that deer now". I watched him disappear at 200 yds walking away. When I ask why he didn't shoot he told be he couldn't get a shot because the grass was too tall to go prone. He might be a good long distance shot, but he wasn't a hunter.

With 6 hunters in camp I was the only one that had the means to measure things like distance, inclination, wind speed, etc. But they were all long range hunters.

Exactly why I prefer shooting them outside of their comfort zone. Allows you to relax, dry fire, and get absolutely comfortable to take the best shot you possibly can. You heros that like to spook and shoot and then claim the moral high ground because you are better hunters crack me up.

Take the most ethical shot you can and know you did the best you could and move on.

• Like 1

Exactly why I prefer shooting them outside of their comfort zone. Allows you to relax, dry fire, and get absolutely comfortable to take the best shot you possibly can. You heros that like to spook and shoot and then claim the moral high ground because you are better hunters crack me up.

Take the most ethical shot you can and know you did the best you could and move on.

Dude,

I said that I have long range guns and I use them for hunting. Its just not the same thing as being in their kitchen when they are undisturbed. It is a totally different game. Long range is a better test of your shooting skills compared to short range. Both methods require you to find the animal.

Why do you think I jump shoot....I seldom do. I can but usually shoot at unaware animals under 200 yards.

Lets see, you don't seem to respect others opinions if they don't agree with your own and you attack as your offense......are you a democrat?

How did I attack you? Are you sensitive?

Haha I dont care which way they get killed. Im just here to stir the coals around. I get a laugh out of people saying killing them close makes you a better hunter. Isnt the goal of hunting to kill and eat the animal? How is a dead deer killed one way better than another?

• Like 1

How is it easier?

I am not referring to the hunter, I am referring to the preys defense mechanisms. When I say its easier.

How is it easier?

I am not referring to the hunter, I am referring to the preys defense mechanisms. When I say its easier.

Makes sense. Ill quit stirring the pot. Gonna take my ball and go home now.

How did I attack you? Are you sensitive?

Haha I dont care which way they get killed. Im just here to stir the coals around. I get a laugh out of people saying killing them close makes you a better hunter. Isnt the goal of hunting to kill and eat the animal? How is a dead deer killed one way better than another?

Sorry, I kinda took the " You heros that like to spook and shoot and then claim the moral high ground because you are better hunters crack me up." as something of an attack. I guess I was wrong. You have an unusual way of showing your love.