Sign in to follow this  
win71

Food for Thought

"Us hunters need to stick together." That phrase is being used a lot as of late. While I agree with this statement to a point the reality is that this idea will never truly come about in today's hunting world. It would be impossible to get all us hunters on the same page when it comes to how we hunt. I've been hunting since the early 80s and I would say that the divide between us hunters is at an all time high. The cause of this could be many things but there's no denying that the increase in technology has a direct correlation with the division of the hunting community. More hunting technology=an increase in hunter divide there's just no way around this fact. The question you have to ask yourself is what's more important hunter unity or more technology?

I think your right and with the technology part. Mainly alot of die hards or old timers hate to see the new generation coming in and think they can have the gadgets and shoot 500 yards from the start. Like everyone in life you have to start from the beginning and in hunting it starts with Respect for your firearm, and nature. Then learn how to hunt hunt. Stalking, shooting,glassing, etc etc.Then once you get done with that min wage job advance up to something better either in longer shots, better shooting, and getting closer to game. But it annoys me too when you have a newbie hunter first question on CWT is "I want to get into long range hunting what 800 dollar rifle and scope should I buy"

• Like 2

475, one and done.

IMG952471_zpsde63nzaw.jpg

719, one and done, hunted with me last year. Used my 28 Nosler

20171113_1046380_zpsnqllaqvc.jpg

676, one shot. Maybe went 15 yards.

20171204_084350_001_zps2jobbr2y.jpg

• Like 6

Nice kills guys! Now the Devils advocate??? Ive only taken one shot out to 700 yards on an animal, but 2 kills little under 500 yards one shot Dirt!. I missed and I was confused because I have a 3-4" group at 700 yards and read wind pretty good. Then I found out that I ranged over the back and put me 100 yards farther out. MOAs that far out will miss big time

Thats pretty amazing stuff.

With all the the new technology does anyone ever miss over 500 yds anymore?

500 is definitely not what it was 10 years ago.

If you can shoot nice and tight 300 yard you can shoot 500 yards once you know how to get your scope on it. The only real trick by 500 yards is wind. 3mph not much change 10 you better understand it. 700 yards and out you better understand 3-5mph winds depending on what your shooting it could end up from 12"-24". That can be a complete miss or a gut shot on a little coues

Great kills and congratulations, but I think this proves what I am trying to say. A fourteen year old with the right firearm can kill a great buck at distance. Show me where a 14 year old has killed any buck at under 30. I hope the draw is tomorrow or I will get beaten up.

I bet that 14 year old has more trigger time than 70% of the grown butt men on this forum. Instead of talking sh!t why dont you get out and squeeze the trigger a little more yourself.

• Like 3

Not only does that 14 year old have more Trigger Time that almost all of us, that 14 year old has been proven to be able to outshoot most of us if not all of us in a shooting competition!

• Like 2

Im going to give idagf the benefit of the doubt that he was meaning that not to many 14 year olds get the opportunity like up close and personal then a 14 year old with a rifle. But yes you guys are right that 14 year old shoots more then most on here and her groupings prove it!! Let alone her awesome buck she took last year

The title of this forum is long range shooting, Hunting is a privilege not a right.Shooting at deer, or any big game for that matter,at ranges of 600 yards and beyond is not only unethical but dangerous as well, I am sure you guys can remember," be sure of your target and what is beyond" from hunter safety.Well practice it.

I don't care what 308nut's ballistic calculator says; who in their right mind advocates winging 300gr.bullets from a 338-Edge at Coues deer even at 200 yards. O I forgot you guy and gals pass those shots. If you want to shoot at those distances go to the range and put yourselves up against some men and women who will kick your buts at the game.

I don't care what nuts says or the solutions all your BC calculators print, shooting at those ranges at game is irresponsible There is a lot more to it that reading a solution from your BC's, developing a repeatable load and practice. The first of which is developing your hunting skills and patience until you can ethically close the deal even if it is a big one.

Keep it at the range.

The: Scientist .

I shot this monster mulie about 20 years ago at 15 yards with a.338 win mag. Now I know I'm ethical and responsible. Thanks for letting me know.😏post-8438-0-96567000-1530236398_thumb.jpg
  • Like 3

The title of this forum is long range shooting, Hunting is a privilege not a right.Shooting at deer, or any big game for that matter,at ranges of 600 yards and beyond is not only unethical but dangerous as well, I am sure you guys can remember," be sure of your target and what is beyond" from hunter safety.Well practice it.

I don't care what 308nut's ballistic calculator says; who in their right mind advocates winging 300gr.bullets from a 338-Edge at Coues deer even at 200 yards. O I forgot you guy and gals pass those shots. If you want to shoot at those distances go to the range and put yourselves up against some men and women who will kick your buts at the game.

I don't care what nuts says or the solutions all your BC calculators print, shooting at those ranges at game is irresponsible There is a lot more to it that reading a solution from your BC's, developing a repeatable load and practice. The first of which is developing your hunting skills and patience until you can ethically close the deal even if it is a big one.

Keep it at the range.

The: Scientist .

I shot this monster mulie about 20 years ago at 15 yards with a.338 win mag. Now I know I'm ethical and responsible. Thanks for letting me know.😏 20180628_182503.jpg 20180628_182503~2.jpg
couldnt get any closer??? Some hunters are lazy!$
  • Like 3

Once again great kill and im sure there shooting skills are much greater than mine. Let me rephrase How many new comers this upcoming season will we read about that will have shot one of their first animals at 500+. And how many new comers will we read about that have shot there first buck at under 30. A deers defenses is are intended for immediate threats. Not people shooting from half a mile away.

Great kills and congratulations, but I think this proves what I am trying to say. A fourteen year old with the right firearm can kill a great buck at distance. Show me where a 14 year old has killed any buck at under 30. I hope the draw is tomorrow or I will get beaten up.

Killed my first Elk when I was 12 at 25 yds and my first deer when I was 15 at 20 ft. Until I was 28 my longest shot was 60 yds. I can say for certain that any shot I take between 600 and 1000 yds now days is way more responsible than some of the shots I took at under 50 yds while I was learning to hunt.

• Like 2

How about a javalina @ 18 yards by an 11 years old?

022_zps2af843ef.jpg

• Like 5