Sign in to follow this  
Dirtbag

46BE

If anyone drew 46BE send me a PM as i have spent last two sheep seasons in there and can share some unit knowledge.

Greg

• Like 9

You are in for one helluva adventure!

• Like 2

You are in for one helluva adventure!

So I've heard.

Planning on DIY and I welcome any insight I can get.

This unit is tough enough already, I'm just hoping that the decrease in tags from 4 to 1 this year isn't an indication of things to come. Should be interesting.

I had 4 friends join me on this hunt, it truly was a group effort.

G&F warns in the regulations that this unit is in "An extremely challenging area with difficult access" and they aren't kidding. The entire unit is in a wilderness area and there is only one road in the unit and it isn't close to the mountains.

The tropical storm that came through in October made the road impassable and I had to cancel a couple of scouting trips.  

I received some very helpful info on what to expect from Dirtbag (thanks Greg) and a few others that have experience in the unit

On my 1st scouting trip in September it was 112 degrees and hiking was not pleasant. It was obvious then that I had my work cut out for me. A couple of more trips confirmed just that.

On opening day each of us ended up hiking about 12 miles and at the end of the day, between 5 of us, we had seen a total of 3 sheep-1 ewe, a yearling ram and a 4-5 year old ram. We were preparing for a very long hunt.

On day 2 we hiked about 4-5 miles across the desert floor to get to the mountain. Mid morning we glassed a group of 4 rams that included a ram that we thought was worthy of getting a closer look at. A couple of hours later we had made our way to a position that gave us a better look at him and we quickly determined that he checked all of the boxes. 

I was able to fill my tag with this 9 year old class IV ram at 329 yards and couldn’t be happier.

Shout out to Lance for developing a great load for my Tikka .300 WSM.

IMG_0436.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Great Buck! 1
  • Wow! 3

Wow, beautiful sheep. Almost looks like a stone’s sheep.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

That is a beauty. Love the dark coat, white face and dark horns. Congrats to you sir

• Like 1

Wow great Ram!!! Man that sounds like a Tough as Nails Hunt! Congrats

• Like 1