Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Loading Barnes Bullets?

I should have a deer hunt that needs all copper bullets. I have never loaded all copper bullets. Is there any difference, quirks, or tricks to load all copper vs. Leadcore?

I picked up some Barnes LRX in 6.5 and some 30 cal TTSX for a couple loads yesterday to start working on.

Thanks

Harley

they are harder to see if you shoot steel :)

I havent not noticed any difference in loading them versus any other type of bullet. And they do shoot well and perform great on big game

Start the seating depth .50 thousand off the lands, and use load data for that bullet. I have had great luck with them, my 270 shot .433, my 3006 spr. shoots .5 with Branes 150 gr. factory load and ditto for my sons 308. I used to have a 300 wby and shoot those 165 gr. tsx into little clovers.

My experienece says push them hard! Accuracy and performance benefits from speed. They work best when through bone!

I am planning on 3 different loads right now.

150gr TTSX for the 300 win mag

127gr LRX for the 6.5x55

115gr TSX for the 257 weatherby

I have not bought the .257 yet, is there any reason to use the 100gr TTSX instead of the 115gr TSX?

those will probably be the 3 rifles I load for for myself and my buddy. The 300 win mag will be the backup rifle because it is a tank. Probably 12-13lbs.

Yes. Use the 100 ttsx in the 257. You don't need heavy for caliber with the barnes.

I used the 150 gr. in my 3006 for my elk hunt. The bullet hit the breast plate passed through center of the heart and out the opposite side of the breast plate. The entry wound was one inch though bone and I didnt recover the bullet. The bull traveled about 10 yards hit the brakes then stumbled another 15 to 20 to his right and dropped. All the animals I have taken have had similar results. The ones I have taken with my 300 wby with 165 tsx or 168 gr. ttsx were all bang/ flop.

First, thank you for committing to using non-lead. As the lead for the Condor program, we need hunters like you committed to overall conservation and ecosystem management beyond just those game animals we love to hunt. I've used Barnes for over a decade now and have always had good luck, when starting 0.050" off the lands, which is what Barnes recommends. As Casey said, most Barnes bullets stabilize and get better accuracy when they are moving faster. As for the 115 TSX vs the 100 TTSX in the .257, Casey is right again. The 100gr has a boat tail that the 115 doesn't and you don't need to go heavy for caliber with non-lead. Once you start getting the accuracy and performance, it will be hard to switch back.

Good luck!

• Like 1

First, thank you for committing to using non-lead. As the lead for the Condor program, we need hunters like you committed to overall conservation and ecosystem management beyond just those game animals we love to hunt. I've used Barnes for over a decade now and have always had good luck, when starting 0.050" off the lands, which is what Barnes recommends. As Casey said, most Barnes bullets stabilize and get better accuracy when they are moving faster. As for the 115 TSX vs the 100 TTSX in the .257, Casey is right again. The 100gr has a boat tail that the 115 doesn't and you don't need to go heavy for caliber with non-lead. Once you start getting the accuracy and performance, it will be hard to switch back.

Good luck!

I will keep that in mind. I will grab some 100gr TTSX for the 257 this week.

Thanks guys.

Barnes also publishes some load data on their website if you are looking for start points.

• Like 1

Barnes also publishes some load data on their website if you are looking for start points.

I printed some of the load info off Friday at work! Hopefully tomorrow I might have some time to start some loads for the 6.5x55 and 300 Win.

• Like 1

Im right at 3000fps with the 127LRX out of a 6.5x55. It loves IMR 4955 and shoots well under 1/2 MOA. A friend shot his deer last year with it at 375 yds with a 6.5 CM with a muzzle velocity of 2850. It worked perfectly.

I use to shoot the 150 TTSX out of my 300 Weatherby. I switched to the 168 TTSX and 175 LRX. They both do a little better down range. You should be able to get 3400+ out of the 150s. My 300s like IMR 8133 and.

Im fighting with a new to me 257 right now. The only bullet Ive got to shoot well is the 100 TTSX. With IMR 7977 I get 3600fps and 3/4 moa. Still working on that one. We shot the 115TSX for a while but switched to the 100 TTSX when it came out. Dont worry about the loss of 15grs with the Barnes.

BTW: I dont buy into the must hit bone thing with Barnes. But its nice to know I can.

And I also have the same problem. What rifle and bullets do I use in condor county this year! dang.

• Like 2