Sign in to follow this  
Hoss50

Loading Barnes Bullets?

I originally bought the 150gr for my buddies 3006 but he has that rifle on loan to a buddy for his first elk hunt. So am going to repurpose them to the 300 win mag and set that up for longer range duty shooting those 150gr like laser beams hopefully.

The 257 and 6.5x55 will be our main carry rifles I think.

My experienece says push them hard! Accuracy and performance benefits from speed. They work best when through bone!

Agree with this. My load with the 145 LRX for my 7 SAUM is running 3,200 FPS. It is definitely a hot load. I am currently playing around with the Cutting Edge Bullets. They have much higher BC’s than the Barnes, although they are expensive ( cost is not much of an issue for a hunting rig though).

I don't fully understand the "push them hard" theory. Am I inferring correctly that a Barnes 127gr LRX with shoot more accurately out of a 6.5x284 than a 6.5 CM? Or best out of a 6.5 Weatherby? I think it is purely gun specific.

I shoot a lot of Barnes. My most accurate loads are usually not my fastest.

With all due respect, I don't think you're understanding correctly.

I, personally mean hard for that specific cartridge.

For example.

In my 300 wsm they religiously shot much better at 3000 fps, than they did at 2750-2800.

In my 257 wby, they shoot better at 3500, as compared to say 3100 or so.

• Like 1

I think I do understand. 3100 fps might work well in my 257 Roberts but it wont do so well in my 257 Wheatetby. Right?

I dont agree with that. My kids shot 120 gr Barne reduced loads in a 280 Rem (3000 fps ) for years. They shot more accurately then 3300 - 3350 shoots.

I think it is gun dependent.

Forgive me if I made it sound like a blanket statement. I was just trying to relay my experiences across five or six rifles. Every single one of them shot better at a higher pressure, higher velocity load rather than at the lower end.

I'm sorry I made it seem like I have and example of one gun and Barnes experience. Off the top of my head I have Barnes experience with16 different guns ranging from 243 win to 375 H&H. Many of those with multiple different Barnes weights. I believe every single one of them had a low velocity accuracy node. My problem is I am obsessed with maximizing my velocity regardless of the cartridge.

To me it is logical to think about it this way: If I have s 257 Roberts that is shooting a 100 gr TTSX at 3100 fps great then I re-chamber it to a 257 Wheatherby I would expect to get great accuracy at 3100 fps. Bullets from both cartridges exit the barrel at 3100 fps at around 225,000 RPMs. I understand that the pressure curve would likely be different but I"d bet I could match the 257 Roy close enough by varying powders and charge weights.

Aren't there normally two major accuracy nodes-- generally one at lower pressure/velocity and one at higher?? Maybe it's possible you are both right-- MMAC- maybe you didn't find the high node-- or that cartridge bullet combo just doesn't like to be pushed fast in the case of a 6.5cm.

I'm also one to believe that you want to push Barnes hard because they are generally 'light for caliber' and require velocity for proper expansion. To me it seems that the point of Barnes in most cartridges used for deer to elk sized game is to push them hard and fast for a flat trajectory at hunting distances and to achieve proper expansion.

I think you are right. There can be multiple velocity/accuracy nodes. I try to find the find the high velocity accuracy node. It often just takes more time. Actually I also push them hard because I'm normally light for caliber when I shoot Barnes, therefore I don't have the best BCs. Some of my loads for smaller capacity cartridges run out of steam between around 600 yards.

They did make a wonderful light load for my 3 kids growing up. And I know I didn't need their stout construction with reduced velocities. But I never found that it hurt either. I never had to be concerned with where they hit em.

I spent about 4 hours at the range today trying out Barnes loads for 3 rifles. It took awhile between strings to let the rifles cool down so it took awhile. 2 of the 3 rifles showed promising groups. The third was so so.

300 win mag showed 2 areas of good groupings so I will work on those 2 areas.

257 weatherby showed some good groupings too. One was at 68gr which is very close to its favorite load with 115gr Bergers.

6.5x55 wasn't as promising, but I am using the 127gr LRX which say for 1:8 barrels. My barrel is 1:8.66. After texting with Lance a little, I am going to try and push them harder to see if they will group if I can get them going a little faster. If not I will try the 120gr TTSX.

post-592-0-81384600-1531106218_thumb.jpg

post-592-0-15712400-1531106232_thumb.jpg

Try using only three shot groups for the 6.5 x 55, 45 grains looks decent? In my 300 wby I loaded the barnes as long as the mag box would allow me to. What length did you load them to in the 257?

Try using only three shot groups for the 6.5 x 55, 45 grains looks decent? In my 300 wby I loaded the barnes as long as the mag box would allow me to. What length did you load them to in the 257?

I am going to do 3 round groups next time on the 6.5.

The .257 is loaded as far out in the neck of the case as I feel comfortable loading them with good neck engagement. I could probably load them a touch longer but not much.

I tried to see how far out it was to engagement with the lands, but it was way to far out. Too much freebore.

Weatherby is known for really long freebore. So don't sweat that.

As for 3 vs 5 round groups, 5 rounds gives you more of a control group to see what your rifle is actually doing. But you need to shoot them slower to allow barrel to cool better. (But @ 110° ambient temps, good luck with that!)

I am planning on 3 different loads right now.

150gr TTSX for the 300 win mag

127gr LRX for the 6.5x55

115gr TSX for the 257 weatherby

I have not bought the .257 yet, is there any reason to use the 100gr TTSX instead of the 115gr TSX?

those will probably be the 3 rifles I load for for myself and my buddy. The 300 win mag will be the backup rifle because it is a tank. Probably 12-13lbs.

I have been using the 168 TTSX in my 300 wsm for years and really like them.

I'd try a faster powder than H1000 in your 6.5x55. I changed from R22 to H4350 in my .270 to get the 130 Tsx's to shoot well. I think the quicker burn at the same ultimate pressure level lets the all copper bullets bump up (obturate) to get a better gas seal sooner... I use H4831SC with the 127LRX in my 6.5-06. I'd try that or H4350.

I doubt the twist would show up as a problem in the current temperatures.