Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

Moving a Gun Safe

I have a fairly large gun safe, 800lbs, to move about 4 miles from McQueen&60 to McQueen&Ray Rd in Chandler. Dimensions are H72"xW42"xD24". Anyone have any suggestions or knows of anyone on here that moves furniture with a lift gate? Looking to do this some time in the next week. In the mean time I will check out the rental truck places near Mesa/Chandler. ☺

TJ

Mine is a custom welded 800 pounder and I have moved it several times. I rent the trailer at Uhaul that has a heavy duty ramp gate and use an appliance dolly with strap and two guys to get it on the trailer. I leave it on the dolly and strap it in the corner upright and it works fine. The trailer is like $59 a day.

• Like 1

I'm moved a lot of safes back in the day and they lay down on their back in a pick up as easy as anything (a little cardboard helps a ton if the truck doesn't have a plastic bedliner). Lean them in and pick them up from the bottom and gravity will do the rest. A dolly with straps and kick back wheels are a definite plus. Save the money on the trailer/ramp etc and rent a good dolly IMO.

• Like 3

Oh I forgot to mention, before lying down in the pickup, stack the interior shelves on the safe bottom or remove completely as I have seen them break during transfer (most are particle board).

• Like 1

what jdown said is 100% spot on. when I worked in the gun store back in the day I moved safes on the side to make extra money. I moved them exactly as he talks about.

A-Z Rentals will rent you the 1600lb appliance dolly with the kick back wheels and straps. Get it. It is worth it.

• Like 1

I used my small flatbed trailer. Lay it on the back. Easy (relatively w. 2 people) to stand up once you are to your destination. Then use a furniture dolly.

Once you get it IN the house, if you have hardwood floors.....lay a blanket down, and drag it to the final resting place. It works.

• Like 1

Good info I'm going to be doing this in about 6 weeks and planned on laying it down in my truck bed. I brought it home like that and my dad and I were able to get it out without any difficulty

Thanks for all the advice. The 800lb part is what has me worried. Thanks for the offer shelvin. I'll keep that in mind. ☺

TJ

Thanks for all the advice. The 800lb part is what has me worried. Thanks for the offer shelvin. I'll keep that in mind. ☺

TJ

TJ - I should be back in town next week, if you can wait that long feel free to give me a buzz when you do this. A neighbor and I did mine and it worked out pretty good.

I am surprised to hear guys say they lay them on their back, I am pretty sure thats exactly what the guy from the store told me not to do, but sounds like it has worked for them.

Best of luck.

• Like 1

you need to have it in a truck to get it where you want it. won't be advice to put in a usual sedan because of the weight.

I am going to hound you until you get this stuff correct...

You will need to put it in a truck to get it to where you want to go. It wouldn't be advisable to put in a normal sedan because of the weight. (No kidding. How about the size? Who is going to attempt to put a 700# safe in the trunk of a car?)

• Like 3

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Got it moved but wasn't easy. Took 5 of us 3 hours to move 5 miles to do the job with my truck. :)

TJ

• Like 1