THREEDFLYER

What rifle caliber is most common for coues deer hunting in AZ?

120 eldm and about 375. First shot was good. Just not enough “pop” to get the kind of trauma i look for. I’ve huntes with a .264wm most of my life and was thinking performance would be similar. Wasn’t. That extra 500fps+ really helps

41 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

120 eldm and about 375. First shot was good. Just not enough “pop” to get the kind of trauma i look for. I’ve huntes with a .264wm most of my life and was thinking performance would be similar. Wasn’t. That extra 500fps+ really helps

With a 500fps advantage the 264WM has a 300 yard advantage. Do you think the 264 WM will run out of  “pop” at 675yds?

A friend shot a nice MD at 375 yards and a bull elk a little father with a 127 LRX from a 6.5 CM. I was pretty impressed with the results. 

.264WM is plenty @ 675 if you put the bullet where it needs to go.  Taylor shot a buck @ 637 with my 6.5SLR pushing a 127 LRX @ 3050.  You should be able to easily get 3250+ from the .264WM.

I push 130’s at neary 3300fps out of my .264wm. I know everyone loves the 6.5cm, all that i am saying is a 120gn bullet at 2800 fps isn’t causing enough trauma for my liking. I know the argument is always “shot placement” but i like my rifles to kill even if shot placement is off a few inches. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

I push 130’s at neary 3300fps out of my .264wm. I know everyone loves the 6.5cm, all that i am saying is a 120gn bullet at 2800 fps isn’t causing enough trauma for my liking. I know the argument is always “shot placement” but i like my rifles to kill even if shot placement is off a few inches. 

Be careful. If you don’t like the performance of a 6.5 CM at 375 yards your not going to like your 264 WM at 650 yards. You might need to step up to a 26 Nosler or a big 7 if you want to go further   

It’s not too hard to get 2900 fps with a 130 gr bullet from a CM. Heck, a few are pushing 3000 fps with a 140 gr bullet. 

We killed a nice buck (100+) few years ago at 500 with a 6.5 cm. Hit was a little high. 143 eldx if I recall correctly. Took us about 90 minutes to get there... minimal damage and buck was still alive.

What do you think the hells canyon long range will get with a 140grn ?

I have a 6.5 CM, but have never hunted with it, as a matter of fact I've owned two. My bud shot a big bodied Coues a few years ago with his 6.5 CM, he said it was ranged at 200 yards. I'm pretty sure he used some kind of Barnes bullet, and another bud shot a speed goat with his 6.5 CM last year in NM, ranged at 400 yards, he was using a Berger bullet. Both animals were deader than Julius Caesar.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MMACFIVE said:

Be careful. If you don’t like the performance of a 6.5 CM at 375 yards your not going to like your 264 WM at 650 yards. You might need to step up to a 26 Nosler or a big 7 if you want to go further   

It’s not too hard to get 2900 fps with a 130 gr bullet from a CM. Heck, a few are pushing 3000 fps with a 140 gr bullet. 

Where did all this about me shooting 650 yards with my rifle come from? And me needing a bigger rifle to shoot 650? I’m lost. I apologize to the flat brim gods. I will never insult the creedmoor again!

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, GreyGhost85 said:

Where did all this about me shooting 650 yards with my rifle come from? And me needing a bigger rifle to shoot 650? I’m lost. I apologize to the flat brim gods. I will never insult the creedmoor again!

My apologizes. You are right. You effectively made a statement that a 264 WM is not effective (to your standards) past 650 yards. Fair enough.   Each of us should be able to have our own opinions without judgement. 

13 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

We killed a nice buck (100+) few years ago at 500 with a 6.5 cm. Hit was a little high. 143 eldx if I recall correctly. Took us about 90 minutes to get there... minimal damage and buck was still alive.

First time Ive read somewhere that an eldx didn't perform well (yes could be placement and not auguring the shot, just saying first time I heard about this with an eldx)  But I have yet not found this situation with the eldms as of yet

When he hit it, my immediate response was "there go the bsckstraps". Not the case. Exit was only about an inch. very little damage especially for the location of the hit.

23 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

If I remember correctly the ELDX was announced in the fall of 2016. So if you killed a buck a few years ago it wasn’t with the 143ELDX???

first of all you need a flatty and a ruger American predator to be able to shoot to 1000, then talk about how much better it is than a custom. then your with the cool crew

• Like 2