Hunterdan

2008 Mexico Coues Hunt

I was excited when I recieved the call last summer from my good friend and guide Steve Smith about a extra tag they had on a Ranch in mexico that they have been hunting and guiding on for several years. Coues Deer densitys are very low in this area as it is on the far western edge of the historical Coues Habitat. I jumped at the oppertunity to get the tag as I always dreamed of hunting in Mexico for big Coues deer. Being able to hunt with Steve made it even more special as he is one of the best Coues deer hunters on the planet. The country we hunted was low scrub desert full of organ pipe and saguaro cactus.

We glassed all day each day with a average of seeing about 2-3 deer per day. We had seen a couple of Bucks during the week that would have scored over a 100 inches but we keep holding out for a Buck that would make the 110 plus mark as the area has been known to produce exceptional Bucks over the years. On the seventh morning of the hunt I glassed up this Buck and knew right way that this was a great buck. I took off across the valley and into the next canyon were he was to try and get a shot. When I came over the ridge he was standing in a draw with his does. I was able to get a quick rest on some rocks and make the easy 150 yard shot. When I walked up to the Buck I was overwhelmed with excitement as I had knew that he was a 110 plus Buck but did not realize how big he truly was.

The Buck has 14 scoreable points with incredible tine length on his eye guards as well as his G-2s and G-3s. He has cheaters on his left and right G-2s as wells as an 2 4/8 cheater off the bottom back of the right G-2 . He also has a G-5 on the Right beam. Chip McBroom who was in our camp and is a Official scorer for SCI scored him at 138 3/8 SCI. I want to thank God for allowing me to harvest the Buck of my dreams.

Great buck, Dan.

It sounds like you might have hunted near where Duwane Adams and I did several years ago. We were actually west of Caborca and could see the Sea of Cortez from the higher hills. -TONY

Awesome buck! What great character with mass, length, and extras! A huge congrats to you on a truely unique buck.

Phil

WHHOOOOOHOOOO!!! What a PIG of a buck!!! Huge congrats to you! JIM>

Please Pm me... I will then give you my address so you can send me a check so i can buy a new laptop... mine just melted with my drool covering it!