Cell4soul

Backpack Trip Suggestions??

My stepson’s mom was having some MRI’s on her neck and back for some issues she was having with her spine. The MRI’s revealed a growth on her adrenal gland. There are some early thoughts that it may be cancerous, but more testing needs to be done. Regardless of what the test results are, the growth will need to be removed. My stepson is really worried and tore up about it,  but trying to be tough and not talk about it. I’d like to take him on a backpacking trip to get him away for a long weekend. I am looking for a high elevation spot to do a 3 day backpack trip.  It would be really nice if we could hike to a remote lake or pond and possibly do some fishing.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I appreciate any advice. 

10 minutes ago, AZkiller said:

In State?

Anywhere within a 5 or 6 hour drive from the valley would be great.  That most likely keeps me in state. High elevations as it will still be hot.  Planning this early September. 

1 hour ago, Cell4soul said:

Anywhere within a 5 or 6 hour drive from the valley would be great.  That most likely keeps me in state. High elevations as it will still be hot.  Planning this early September. 

Black river. All I got for Az. Praying for his Mom

• Like 1

I'm planning on doing a coming of age / walk about type trip with my older two soon.  Was thinking the crest trail of the huachuca. Of course the illegal alien element is something to be aware of.  Mount Graham could be good too since there is a lake up there. Might even get lucky and find a small batch of elk in otc area.  

Hike in on some of the White mountain black river.  Bad part its monsoons right now.  Bring a tarp 

Thanks for all the replies.  I have been looking at several of those options. I think we are going to hike down to the south end of Chevlon. It gives us a great option to fish and should be able to stay away from people on the south end....hopefully. Before I posted for suggestions I was looking real hard at Mt. Baldy and would still like to check it out.  

Good news is, I bought my stepson a bunch of his own backpacking equipment earlier today, so we are going to start making this a regular thing. Again, thanks for all the suggestions. 

• Like 2

The water was pretty low a few weeks ago. You may have to walk a ways north to get into deeper/cooler water but still very doable.

if you have a quad and kayaks you can float and camp on your very own private beach. 

2 minutes ago, azslim said:

West Clear Creek, go in on Maxwell Trail and fish down to Tramway, then turn around and fish back to Maxwell and walk out.

This is a great trip. One of my favorite hikes in AZ

• Like 2

There is also a hiking trail that makes it down to the south end of Chevelon Canyon Lake off the 4B side.

12 hours ago, azslim said:

West Clear Creek, go in on Maxwell Trail and fish down to Tramway, then turn around and fish back to Maxwell and walk out.

Another hike to add to the list...thanks for the suggestion.