briant_az

2018-2019 Mexico Coues hunts

I just wanted to see if anyone is interested in going on a DIY hunt in Sonora. I have access to 6 tags. Price would include someone meeting you at the border and taking you to the ranch, gun permit and tag. They will show you around the ranch and the cowboy will be able to give you tips on where they typically see deer. There is a house on the ranch that you can stay in. If you would like a cook or other helpers on the ranch it can be arranged but there will be an extra cost associated with that. 

The ranch is about 3-3.5 hours from the Nogales/Mariposa POE. It's about 2 hours east of Magdalena De Kino. There is a locked gate at the entrance to the ranch and there is no other access to the property. The ranch hasn't been hunted in a couple of years so I don't have any super recent pictures. All the pictures that I have posted are from previous hunts. Terrain varys from Ocotillos/high desert to oaks and some pines.

We have been trying to get this ranch for the last couple of years and haven't been able to get a hold of the owner.  By the time we were able to get this ranch, we were already committed to another one. We want to keep this ranch so we are trying to sell the tags this year. 

If you have any questions please feel free to message me. If you would rather talk to me on the phone, message me and I will give you my number. 

Brian

Still have 4 tags available

Here are some questions that I have been ask, just to help with any that anyone else has. 

Size of the ranch and elevation? 20,000 acres Elevation of the ranch ranges from around 3500'-almost 6000'.

Will the people that take us to the ranch speak english? There will be two guys that meet the hunters at the border. One of them speaks english, the other does not. 

How hard is it to get a gun permit? When does the paperwork need to be filled out and who will do it? Gun permits are fairly easy to obtain and I will be the one doing all the paperwork. I only need basic info from you (Name , Address, Phone #, Email, Rifle make, model and caliber) The gun permits need to be filled out soon as it can take 3-weeks or so to get them back.

How is the access to the ranch? Can I bring a side x side? Access to the ranch is on a well maintained dirt road that leads back to a mine. Because the mine is active the road is always in good shape. If you want to bring a side x side or quad, you can certainly do that.

How are the accommodations at the house? Can we bring out own tents/gear? The house is not the greatest place but it is a decent house. I am in the process of getting pictures of it and I will hopefully have them posted very soon. If hunters would like to bring tents they are more than welcome to do so.

How many days will the hunt be? What are the dates that are open? The hunt will consist of 6 days of hunting with a day on either end for travel, for a total of 8 days. The day that you travel to the ranch, you will probably get there in time to hunt that evening. There are a lot of variables in the travel back and forth across the border so sometimes it happens but not guaranteed. On the morning that you leave the ranch to come home, you can get a morning hunt in, if needed. As of right now the whole month of December is open. As for January, there are only 2 weeks that the ranch will be available, Jan 2nd-10th and 22nd-30th.

Are there other tags on this ranch? Anyone else hunting on the ranch during the 2018-2019 season? There are a total of 8 tags for this ranch, but only 6 tags will be filled/sold. There are no other hunters that will be hunting this ranch during this season. 

1782798155_2008MexicoCouesHunt047.thumb.jpg.62e346a9cc36cec3d5fb86c6fd62bcae.jpg662175948_2008MexicoCouesHunt048.thumb.jpg.5e9d1870606f23649b5ad870b9790297.jpgDSC00663.thumb.JPG.919f19c5fe2744d5158a143170320764.JPGDSC00673.thumb.JPG.c86c9de66569b59c46916cd2dec80b58.JPG

Lion Kill that was found during the hunt 

DSC00697.thumb.JPG.9d24573e1e2dc132f090da3f9125781d.JPG 

Here is one picture of the terrain. Not really a fair representation of what the entire property looks like though.

• Like 5

What are the dates? Is it 6 total deer allowed per year on the ranch or are there other hunts ?

What is required by the hunter to obtain a gun permit ?

Thanks Jim

The dates would be anytime starting the beginning of December until the end of January. The only time the ranch won't be available is the 3rd week of January. We will be in MX hunting on a different ranch and the guys that will meet the hunters, will be with us. The only problem is all 6 hunters will have to agree on dates and go down together. This is always the hardest part of putting together a hunt like this.   

There area actually 8 tags on this particular ranch. Two of the tags will not be used. We are hoping to manage this ranch from here on and not taking a couple of deer is the beginning of that. There will be no other hunters that hunt this ranch except the 6 that get these tags.   

Gun permits are fairly easy to obtain. Just takes time. All that is needed is some info about the hunter (name, address, email, gun serial and make) and i will get the permits taken care of. For the US side you just have one sheet of paper that you have to fill out and show customs. It's way easier than I ever imagined to take a gun across the border. Only thing is no guns are allowed in military calibers.

33 minutes ago, mattys281 said:

How big is the ranch and is bowhunting allowed?  Thanks

Ranch is 20,000 acres and you are more than welcome to bring a bow. 

17 hours ago, wildwoody said:

Don't forget a passport, can't wait for my hunt in January.

That's a very good point. I have heard you can still pass through the border with just a birth certificate, but I would never try it. 

21 hours ago, briant_az said:

Only thing is no guns are allowed in military calibers.

So just to maybe clarify in case it affects someone interested, no 223 or 308 I take it since they both have a military "equivalent". (not wanting to trigger a discussion on if they are exactly the same or not, so lets not go there for those experts out there.)

On 10/25/2018 at 1:29 PM, lamrith said:

So just to maybe clarify in case it affects someone interested, no 223 or 308 I take it since they both have a military "equivalent". (not wanting to trigger a discussion on if they are exactly the same or not, so lets not go there for those experts out there.)

Hum, interesting... I have taken several hunters down there with 308's and no problems at all. But don't take my word for it :)

Just now, Ernesto C said:

Hum, interesting... I have taken several hunters down there with 308's and no problems at all. But don't take my word for it :)

Good to know, I am just curious is why I am asking.  Only military calibers I can think of are 5.56x45 (223) and 7.62x51 (308).  Thanks Ernesto!

4 minutes ago, lamrith said:

Good to know, I am just curious is why I am asking.  Only military calibers I can think of are 5.56x45 (223) and 7.62x51 (308).  Thanks Ernesto!

No worries, the best thing to do is to check with your Outfitter, he should answer all your questions.

Now, let me tell you something and again, don't take my word for it ok?  About the 223...The way the Federal Law of Firearms and Explosive of The Republic of Mexico is writen..it talks about self loading or repeating firearms in 223 caliber....a bolt action rifle in 223 is not a semi auto or automatic rifle....but to avoid any discussion with them, I always tell my hunters do not bring any 223's ok?

I have friends in Mexico that they own 5.56 rifles, but they can't own a 223 :)

• Like 1

On 10/26/2018 at 7:54 PM, Ernesto C said:

No worries, the best thing to do is to check with your Outfitter, he should answer all your questions.

Now, let me tell you something and again, don't take my word for it ok?  About the 223...The way the Federal Law of Firearms and Explosive of The Republic of Mexico is writen..it talks about self loading or repeating firearms in 223 caliber....a bolt action rifle in 223 is not a semi auto or automatic rifle....but to avoid any discussion with them, I always tell my hunters do not bring any 223's ok?

I have friends in Mexico that they own 5.56 rifles, but they can't own a 223 :)

Thank you for your input Ernesto. I’m by no means an outfitter. We buy tag direct from the ranch owners to hunt for ourselves. When we end up with more than one ranch, we have tried to sell the tags so that we have more options for the following year. This has only happened twice so far, last year and this year. 

• Like 1