Sign in to follow this  
jakehaffey

Marissa's First Hunts

A little late but it's been a busy stretch. My daughter turned 10 this year and drew a few tags for the fall break. A lot of built up excitement (mostly my own) over the years and it came and went in the blink of an eye.

We started off with a southern deer and javelina hunt. Fortunate enough to have the help of my Dad and friend Nate. Opening morning started with a close call on a good buck but after watching Marissa handle the pressure and miss like a champ I knew she was going to do just fine as a young hunter. Later opening morning we had pigs bedded and the stalk was on! We closed the distance and patience paid off with a perfect heart shot that dropped her first kill ever! Watching her reaction afterwards was priceless and easily one of the greatest experiences I have ever had!

We headed back to camp with her confidence sky high. It was already a successful hunt and my Mom's birthday was on Sunday in a couple days so the plan was to head home early for that. Little did I know that Saturday morning she wasn't done. We had some other close encounters and as the morning hunt dwindled, Nate spotted a spike across a canyon. We made a stalk and got above the buck who was bedded deep inside a juniper. The wind was blowing pretty strong and Marissa struggled identifying the buck. After some more patience she finally was able to pin point him. The buck was now on to us and once again, under pressure as a first time hunter, she executed a great shot and the buck went 10 yards! Another priceless moment! 

Fast-forward to the following weekend and we are now on her final hunt for the fall, junior cow elk. Opening morning we had some bulls talking but nothing coming in. We decided to head back to the same canyon for the evening. As we hiked in with Nate we spotted some elk moving away below us. I tried getting them to slow down by calling when Nate whispered to us to look up. Coming in to the call was a young antlerless bull. We hurried and get her setup and she was a seasoned vet at this point. The young elk dropped in it's tracks! More excitement, hugs, celebration, and the trifecta was complete.

Marissa was a bit skeptical going into the season but grew confidence in abundance and learned to trust herself and appreciate the sport. From campfire talks, quad rides, watching wildlife, seeing the diversity and beauty of the outdoors, to all aspects of the actual hunt, I could see her enjoy something I've been so passionate about my whole life. Passing this on and building a future with her as hunting buddies is about the greatest feeling there is. It has been a great start and I can't wait for the memories to come.

DSCN3045.JPG

DSCN3053.JPG

thumbnail_IMG_3370.jpg

IMG_3311.JPG

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Wow! 1

Dang, she’s stacking up some stats! Congrats on a great year with your daughter. Being a dad is the best thing you can be!

• Like 1

Congrats, way to fill up the freezer. She looks hooked too :) 

• Like 1