JColony

Youth Unit 23 rifle bull tag

Alright, I'm throwing out a life line here.  My nephew was lucky enough to draw a rifle tag for unit 23 her in AZ.  I have spent a number of days up scouting for him and did find good sign, just not as fresh as I would like.  Here's the kicker.  He's a senior in high school and has his mind set on going to either West Point or the Air Force Academy and found out last week he has his an interview on Saturday 12/1.  So, what was originally going to be a 4.5 day hunt (1 scout day on the 29th) has now been shrunk to a 2, possibly 1.5 day hunt.  He's hoping to get to camp mid day on 12/1, but is unsure if he'll be able to get out of town early enough. 
Any help would be greatly appreciated!  This is his first hunt, our only goal is to find a bull,  and I really want to help him be successful.  Thanks in advance for any info you're willing to share

I would suggest if your helping put a bull to bed for him and if its not the first day he gets there the bull should be there the next morning as long as you don't bump it. Also why doesn't he hunt friday and drive back down that night for his interview and return after it. Same scenario try and bed a bull on sat evening for sunday morning. 

• Like 2

Well, his Mom feels that the interview is more important than his elk hunt and wants him to be well rested and use that time to prepare.  Pains me to say, but I don't disagree:)  My plan is to locate something for him so we have a "Plan A".  But, with  our limited time, was just hoping someone might share a little experience. 

• Like 1

I know 23 very well. I found lots of bulls on the youth deer hunt and some were very good bulls.  They were all in rough country but if you want some info I would be glad to share. PM me and I will drop you some pins from Google maps of some places to glass 

• Like 2

Hunt the Niglin rim down off the 126 rd off Chamberlin tr.  Goodluck I didn't know they had youth bull hunts. Nice to no

This is a fantastic tag. Spent the last 2 weeks in there. Naegelin rim holds a few decent bulls.. and a lot of hunters. I would be surprised if I see those bulls in there next year. You will definitely have an amazing hunt

• Like 1

Update on the kids hunt!
First off, I want to thank everyone that shared info. Its great knowing there is a community like this one that is willing to provide so much help!

Despite the extremely small window of time we had to hunt and the horrible weather encountered, I did manage to find my nephew a bull! The wet weather early made many of the roads I was pointed towards nearly impassable and not worth the risk of getting stuck while solo. The areas I was able to get to for glassing were either so socked in that I couldn't see 50' or loaded with cattle. Saturday night, we made a move to the north end of the unit with the plan to hit the south side of Christopher Mt. But when we got to the rim we were met with blizzard conditions and again, I feared we wouldn't be able to get to where we needed to be by truck. So at this point, we're on about "Plan Z", which was no idea what we were going to do. In a last ditch effort to find something to do, I poured over the maps and found a drainage that had a decent amount of space between roads and threw a hail mary. Turns out it was a good plan after all. Spotted this guy and his buddy as they crossed a burn area and watched them bed down. At that point, it was game on! We had about a mile to cover and with the way the weather was going it was a crap shoot if they would stay bedded. Lucky for us they did! Got across the canyon and after sitting on them for an hour, I decided to give them some help standing up. I threw rocks, broke sticks, but they just didn't care! So in a last ditch effort, I let out a Whoop, Whoop! That did the trick, up they stood, then down he went. One shot, high shoulder, and he the hunt was over. Well, the easy part that is.

Thanks again to all that offered up tips,

Nico Elk Bedded.jpg

Nico Elk.jpg

• Like 13