wardsoutfitters

salt and feed no more in 2009

Well it sounds like salt and feed will be against the rules for 2009. What do you think?

Well there you have it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We were just discussing this on another thread. Where did you get this info?

I guess we better be at the commission meeting when they vote on this.

I talked to Randy form archery headquarters that has been in contact with game commissioners and they are going to outlay any type of feed or salt attractant beginning in 2009. I think this should be discussed in the game and fish meetings. I asked him if he had gotten a explanation on the matter and he said he was told because they are trying to reduce success. I personally feel thats a bunch of crap success is what helps keep hunters interested in hunting there for retains hunter numbers

We usually have someone from the AZGFD at the ADA meetings, I will definately ask about this. As always anyone is welcome to attend the meetings.

This sure isn't on the home page of the AZGFD is it.

A solid 50% of the reason for this push is an outfitter (who shall not be named :unsure: ) in Southern AZ who uses Texas style feeders and ground blinds and Boasts nearly 100% success rates..... It caught the attention of the AZGF a couple of years back. Couple this with very high numbers of archery hunters in central AZ and nearly equal rifle vs. archery harvests in those units.... and the public YAPPING & posting of pictures on the web showing, "how to" or "does this work?"... :rolleyes: We will all now act surprised that this day has arrived??? :unsure: :rolleyes: It was a team effort..... If you only new how much "Big Brother" hangs on every word we write here.... :( :(

Rather than use the management tools that the AZGF has and generate consistant harvest percentages..... they would rather focus on how to limit success to insure more $$$$ based on "hunter opportunity". And "WE" gave them another tool to use, by highlighting a "grey area"......:rolleyes:.... And next to go will be ANY item that "might" improve your success rates... How about optics, cameras, maps, GPS's...... and everything else you have in your packs. :rolleyes:

There is no surprise in this movement.... it is a done deal. They are just makin' a mess of things.... and we helped find the way to do it. <_<

CnS

I will ask where do you base your facts on about this outfitter? Did you here this at a meeting or from a game and fish officer. Just courious. I'm sure most of the people here oin this site know that the outfitter you are refering to Is me. If not then they do now. I have been feeding deer and other legal game for years And I DONT USE TEXAS STYLE FEEDERS AS A MATTER OF FACT i DONT USE FEEDERS AT ALL FOR DEER. Iwill say that we do harvest animals over feed, I dont see a problem with it. we are very selective with the animals we harvest and i will also say that the animals have gained from us feeding them almost every doe you see in areas that I have been feeding will have two fawns. last year I had one officer questioning me about the feed here at my house I told him the truth and he stated he didn't agree with baiting, two days later I had another buying the feed I devoloped so he could use it for deer also. I will say we are very successiful with our archery coues deer hunters. But I can say this even if they make feedsing ilegal, it really dosen't matter because We will still have the same success rate as if we were feeding. I'm courious as to how they are going to word the rule. I have numerious areas I hunt in the september hunts that are natural mineral spots. it seems to me if you are successiful then they want to do everything in their power to limit your success the next thing to go is game cameras , then ratteling horns , then scent attractants , then optics , the list will never end when you think you have it all figured out they'll change it. thats our good ol game and fish " the only agency that can discriminate against archers.

Does this mean we won't be able to supplement the deer's diet, or that we can't hunt over a food pile? If they make it illegal to feed them as a source of nourishment, it'll just drive the numbers down with the success rates that we are currently achieving. Just my $.02.

Mike

This is a mentallity that I'll never understand. Arizona consistently has the lowest success rate nationwide for archery deerhunters, yet they continue to try to limit the tools that can be used. I know that this issue pertains to all hunters, not just archers, but I don't personally know too many rifle hunters that sit on bait. In fact, all of the baiters I know are archers.

Last year Leonard Ordway (sp) came to an ADA meeting and mentioned this topic. He was non-commital, but it seemed like the main reason was the success that was being experienced by bow hunters in the 'rim' units. I didn't hear much about southern AZ in his comments. Seemed like 21, 22, 23, etc. were the units that they had made mention of..... I think I recall him saying something to the effect that as bow hunters evolve their tactics, and as the shear number of bow hunters continues to increase, that the dept. was concerned with the numbers of deer being killed using this type of method.

Amanda, do you remember that meeting? Maybe you can add some light to Leonard's comments.

S.

:-)

Yes, I remember. I didn't remember the specific units, but the impression I got was that it was that overall archery success has increased to a point that AGFD was concerned about the impact to the deer populations. Banning hunting over salt and feed is all in step with the dept trying to lower hunt success and increase the number of permits for many of the deer and elk hunts (e.g., shifting permits away from Dec WT hunts and Sept elk hunts).

Amanda