Cody, one thing I forgot to mention is...that some people think that by ordering the permit online it will save time; not true. If you order the permit online you still have to stop there and they still have to go to all the process, verification etc. so in reality you aren't saving any time.

My personal way of doing it or what I do, is I stop there and get the permit, it only takes 5 or 6 minutes.

Ernesto C.

• Like 1

This will also be my first time hunting in Sonora. What is the "Only Sonora" permit and where can I get one?

I will be crossing at Nogales, it sounds like I can pick up a permit for bringing guns back into the US at the US customs office when I am crossing the border into Mexico?

We plan on getting beer and some food in Mexico, will we need to get Mexican currency or do some of the stores take cards? I hear there might be some toll roads, I'm assuming I will need Mexican currency for that? If so, how much will I need for the toll roads?

Thanks for any help.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, bigsky2 said:

This will also be my first time hunting in Sonora. What is the "Only Sonora" permit and where can I get one?

I will be crossing at Nogales, it sounds like I can pick up a permit for bringing guns back into the US at the US customs office when I am crossing the border into Mexico?

We plan on getting beer and some food in Mexico, will we need to get Mexican currency or do some of the stores take cards? I hear there might be some toll roads, I'm assuming I will need Mexican currency for that? If so, how much will I need for the toll roads?

Thanks for any help.

Again, all these questions should be answered by your outfitter. I don't understand how come an outfitter is taking hunters and don't know nothing on the subject or take care of them? Then I hear people complaining about hunting in Mexico?

bigsky2, before you get with the U. S. Customs, download CBP Form 4457 and fill it out. You must stop with U. S. Customs first and report your gun(s) They will ask you for that form, they'll veriry the information you wrote with the one on your gun(s). Make sure  they sign that form and give it back to you. When you cross back to the U. S. from Mexico make sure you have that form with you if they ask you for it ok?

The big cities, such as Nogales, Hermosillo, etc. they do accept credit cards (of course you previously called your credit card company and advised them you are planning to use your c.c. in Mexico) on most of the big shopping stores but my advice to you is get Mexican currency. I don't know how far your are traveling or how far is your ranch, gasoline is expensive in Mexico..I'll said exchange 250 to 300 dollars to be safe?

Ernesto C.

1 hour ago, bigsky2 said:

Thanks for any help.

I always take a thousand or two American Dollars in Mexican Pesos and plenty of US Dollars too. Stores? Not many around but take pesos for that and gas. I also tip  the guides and cowboys in US Dollars.

2 minutes ago, Ernesto C said:

Again, all these questions should be answered by your outfitter. I don't understand how come an outfitter is taking hunters and don't know nothing on the subject or take care of them? Then I hear people complaining about hunting in Mexico?

bigsky2, before you get with the U. S. Customs, download CBP Form 4457 and fill it out. You must stop with U. S. Customs first and report your gun(s) They will ask you for that form, they'll veriry the information you wrote with the one on your gun(s). Make sure  they sign that form and give it back to you. When you cross back to the U. S. from Mexico make sure you have that form with you if they ask you for it ok?

The big cities, such as Nogales, Hermosillo, etc. they do accept credit cards (of course you previously called your credit card company and advised them you are planning to use your c.c. in Mexico) on most of the big shopping stores but my advice to you is get Mexican currency. I don't know how far your are traveling or how far is your ranch, gasoline is expensive in Mexico..I'll said exchange 250 to 300 dollars to be safe?

Ernesto C.

Here is a link to the form.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2017-Jun/CBP Form 4457_0.pdf

• Like 1

A bit of general info on the border crossing from my past trips. I doubt much has changed, but if it has Ernesto probably knows the updates. 

We always cross through the commercial Mariposa station. Heading south on I-19, the exit for the Mariposa port of entry is #4. It's well signed. And if you need to get pesos for the tolls, gas, etc., you can exchange some dollars at the Performance Fuel place on the left side from where you exit I-19 onto Mariposa Rd. They do the exchange right at the cashier's counter, and it's usually a decent rate and better than the money exchange place at the permit station. It's also a good place to top off your tank; gas is cheaper there than in Mexico. Not all of them take plastic and if you use US dollars you will get hosed on the exchange rate they use. 

I noted the mileage from the turn off at exit #4 on I-19. All of the following figures are in miles from there to the point listed. When you reach the end of the exit, turn right at the light.

Performance Fuel -- gray colored gas station on the left - 1.4 (good place to get some pesos for tolls and gas)

U.S. Customs station -- 3.3

First toll booth -- 8.9

Mexican Custom station -- 9.5

Tourist Visa/Vehicle permit station -- 15.9

You will pass through a Mexican custom's station just south of the border, but unless they actually wave you over for an inspection, it's not necessary to stop. The inspection is usually a 1 in 4 thing, regulated by a green/red light. If it's green, just proceed without stopping. if it's red, someone will usually show you where to park for the inspection.

I can't recall how many toll booths are between the border and Hermosillo, but there are several. My wife keeps a list of them along with the tool, but she's off shopping right now. Just a guess, but I seem to recall may four or five and they amount to about $25-40 total. It's ben a few years so your mileage might vary. 

A side note on the #4457 form. If you live near a US customs office such as the one at Sky Harbor, you can bring your guns there, fill in the forms and have them inspected and stamped right there. You should also list other valuables such as your expensive binocs, spotting scopes and Rolex watch. 😉  And be sure to keep them. They don't expire for the items/gun(s) on the list.

Thanks for the help guys. So the 4457 form is the gun permit? Its not real specific....do you need to put serial #'s down and all that? Someone mentioned putting spotting scopes and other valuable items on there. Can you list a bunch of stuff on one form or do you need separate forms for each piece of gear?

37 minutes ago, bigsky2 said:

Thanks for the help guys. So the 4457 form is the gun permit? Its not real specific....do you need to put serial #'s down and all that? Someone mentioned putting spotting scopes and other valuable items on there. Can you list a bunch of stuff on one form or do you need separate forms for each piece of gear?

No Gun Permit is different and the information is on your Hunting Contract.

1 hour ago, bigsky2 said:

You fill out this form at a CBP office and have verified with an agent not on your own.

The form 4457 is to ensure you're not charged a duty on items that you didn't purchase abroad. IE: you register (on the form) specific items: guns, optics, jewelry, electronics, etc with customs prior to leaving the country. That way if inspected, you have proof that the items weren't purchased abroad and therefore you do NOT owe a duty on them.

I've got no experience with crossing the border to MX on the road, but have been abroad by air to mexico and a few other countries with firearms and have never had to pull out the 4457 upon returning and going through CBP at the airport.

4 hours ago, bigsky2 said:

No, the gun permit originates in Mexico and let's you bring your weapon into that country legally.  

In contrast, the 4457 is a U.S. form and is merely verified written proof that you had owned the items listed when you left the USA. You can fill out the form before going into any U.S. customs office, but you MUST present all the items you list for one of the inspectors to look at and verify. And yes, for guns or any other items that has one, put the SN# on the form. Also, for guns, list the scopes in the description. When you leave Mexico to reenter the U.S., they MIGHT ask you to show the 4457 form, but they sometimes don't even bother. 

I'm looking at one of mine right now from 2004 pinned to my bulletin board. It says: Winchester Model 70 cal. .270 sn ##### w/Leupold VXIII 3x10 scope sn ####. I have used this same 4457 for that rifle four times to reenter the U.S. It's also needed at the Canadian border. 

When I did mine at Sky Harbor, if I recall the custom's office was located over where FedEx, UPS etc. are based. Instead of proceeding to the terminals, there's a road that goes to the right into the area where all this is located. It's just a tiny office in one of the larger buildings. BEFORE I carried the guns inside even though they were in cases, I went in to tell them what I was doing so I didn't get shot. It took less than 10 min. for one of the officers to look at my listed items, sign and stamp the form. 

Sorry, I should have clarified. I know I will get a permit from the outfitter to bring my guns into Mexico, but I was meaning the form for getting the guns back into the US. It sounds like that is what I use the 4457 form for.

I hope that the guys in this thread that are asking the questions are not the ones going down to Mexico this January.  I have gone down a few times and always have had everything in order long before the hunt.  The one year we may have hit 15 checkpoints on the way back home between all the different agencies down there. The rifle permits are the one that makes me the most nervous.  Everything needs to match exactly as it is on your rifle.  I have seen some of the officers down there really eying some of the rifles as they are checking the numbers.

• Like 3

Another question.....the truck we are taking down is in my buddy’s company’s name, the ranger and trailer are in his name. His last name is in the company name ie..”Johnson Plumbing”  his name is Tim Johnson. Will this be an issue?