trphyhntr

Any Ice on Sunrise?

10 hours ago, Coach said:

Thanks Brian. 

Man it's weird. When I first moved here back in the '80s the hardest part about ice fishing was either the long trudge in with a couple feet of snow, or drilling half a dozen holes through 12-18" ice. Guess it's just a sign of the times. I know some old guys who used to drive out on Rainbow Lake and cut blocks for their ice house every winter. Can't remember the last time I saw it iced over. Times they are a-changin'.  

In the early 90's I was in Unalakleet Alaska and was told then that the permafrost was getting less each year.

On 12/23/2018 at 8:10 PM, trphyhntr said:

I wonder if there was 36” of ice 70 years ago 

I know it's probably rhetorical, but all the lakes up here used to have a lot more ice. If you could get up to Holly, early fall or late spring, good ice fishing. 

One story I come back to from time to time is way back in the day. A bunch of ice fishermen in a truck going up to Sunrise, and occasionally there would be a few out on A1. One morning there's 2-3 guys out hiking in the snow, drilling holes really early and we stopped to see what they're catching. They kept saying it was shallow and "weedy". They were out in the cienega before A1 trying to fish a frozen field of grass. 

Can't make this stuff up, but still funny. To this day I can't drive past that cienega and not chuckle. 

Went to Sunrise and Horseshoe  on Friday the 4th and fish were biting good. Ice is about 4" with a lot snow on top and slushy. Had to walk a long way due to snow to get to horseshoe. Sunrise you park at the motel and walk down. Also fished Show low lake on Saturday, Ice was only 1" thick kinda scary, slow bite. Its been warming up lately up there so be careful.

• Like 1

In 1990 my family started spending Christmas at Alpine, every year up until my parents passed away in 2009, 18 years in a row, Christmas at Alpine. Big Lake road would be plowed up to what is now Tobaggan hill and then the snow was piled up so deep across the road that there was no "vehicle" traffic.

My dad would get bent out of shape when we would try to test our "vehicles" and end up getting stuck in deep snow, but we would still try to drive roads.

By the mid 2000's we rarely encountered trouble making it all the way into Big Lake where upon one occassion we saw people ice fishing next to the dam. They had fish and Bud Lights laying all over the ice and I told my boys we would come back the next day and give it a try.

We brought our fishing gear.....never having fished ice before.......and successfully failed to catch a single fish! My wife says it was because we didn't bring the Bud Light!

If I remember right there was about 8" of ice and it was eriee because the ice made deep crackling noises just randomly.

Christmas of 1997, we shoveled off 30" of snow off the flatter part of the roof the first day we were there!

cabinfever.thumb.JPG.d2398aa08fb253125af5901821a3a421.JPG

Now all the boys are grown up and out of the house so it was just us two kids this year over New Years Eve!!!!

justus.thumb.JPG.1fcc961296ed2a1bfc63fac9ac4f07e2.JPG

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

anyone know if theyre ice fishing up there, looks like its been kinda warm but i want to try and go sunday if there is ice 

Just do it.

I was at Luna lake on Monday ice was 4-6 inches thick depending on where you are on the lake. I’m assuming there is more ice on sunrise and other Rez lakes being that there a higher elevation. Fish where biting on corn and worms about 20 feet of the shore by the boat dock or by the ramp! Fish about a foot of the bottom! Fish are big and healthy in Luna!

• Like 3