Tommytomtoes

Units 36a, b, c hunt #5097

On 1/6/2019 at 9:12 AM, stanley said:

With this rain, a decent tactic could be to spend a little time in ANY wash or drainage and look for fresh tracks.  I would recommend walking the wash/drainage and look broadly (middle & sides of wash......).  If you spend much time doing that, you will probably come across some fairly fresh tracks.  The rodents will likely be within 1/2 mile to a mile.  Then focus on that area.  Either glass if the country permits, or just put your nose into the wind and still-hunt/stalk.

Any of the washes/drainage's in the Arivaca area would be a good place to start.

Good luck!!

S.

I agree with everything Stanley wrote except one thing.  For the Love of God why do people call an animal with a pig like snout, hoofs, no incisors and giant canines rodents?  There's a classification system in biology called Taxonomy.  Rodents are squirrels, mice, beavers etc.  A javelina is in no way, shape, or form a rodent!  It is indeed most closely related to, yes, swine.  Its not a swine, but similar.  Maybe you are being funny trying to say varmint or something like Yosemite Sam would in a cartoon but it's wrong and a huge pet peeve.  Rant over!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Heat said:

I agree with everything Stanley wrote except one thing.  For the Love of God why do people call an animal with a pig like snout, hoofs, no incisors and giant canines rodents?  There's a classification system in biology called Taxonomy.  Rodents are squirrels, mice, beavers etc.  A javelina is in no way, shape, or form a rodent!  It is indeed most closely related to, yes, swine.  Its not a swine, but similar.  Maybe you are being funny trying to say varmint or something like Yosemite Sam would in a cartoon but it's wrong and a huge pet peeve.  Rant over!

Just like lobster is a bug. It is what it is lol

On 1/7/2019 at 3:39 PM, Heat said:

Completely agree - ^^^ ____ Makes hunters look ignorant.

Well, a lot of people are ignorant.  And they love to rename things and report lies.  Look at your new Congress.  Our schools are teaching our kids voodoo science and rewriting history.  😦

• Like 1

So.....what exactly are we supposed to correctly call them so we don't look so ignorant?

ro·dent
/ˈrōdnt/
noun

1. a gnawing mammal of an order that includes rats, mice, squirrels, hamsters, porcupines, and their relatives, distinguished by strong constantly growing incisors and no canine teeth. They constitute the largest order of mammals.

var·mint
    /ˈvärmənt/
    noun
    INFORMALDIALECT

1. a troublesome wild animal.
      • a troublesome and mischievous person, especially a child.

swine
    /swīn/
    noun

1. 1.
      FORMALNORTH AMERICAN
      a pig.
    2. 2.
      INFORMAL
      a person regarded by the speaker with contempt and disgust.
      "what an arrogant, unfeeling swine!"

Yosemite Sam.svg

Javelina (Tayassu tajacu) also known as collared peccary, are medium-sized animals that look similar to a wild boar. They have mainly short coarse salt and pepper colored hair, short legs, and a pig-like nose. The hair around the neck/shoulder area is lighter in color giving it the look of a collar. Javelina have long, sharp canine teeth which protrude from the jaws about an inch.
  • Like 2

Jeez......      Guess I better never jokingly refer to a mule deer as a "floppy eared carp" again, then.  🙄

For now on, I will refer to these rodents by their correct name, Tayassu Tajacu, (Thanks for that, Non-Typical.... ) so my standard level of ignorance is not so apparent.  :lol:🤣

S.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, stanley said:

Jeez......      Guess I better never jokingly refer to a mule deer as a "floppy eared carp" again, then.  🙄

For now on, I will refer to these rodents by their correct name, Tayassu Tajacu, (Thanks for that, Non-Typical.... ) so my standard level of ignorance is not so apparent.  :lol:🤣

S.

If you can't have fun talking about the critters......I saw them referred to that in another Tayassu Tajacu thread.........then what is the fun of it......and in this particular case....I really don't care what the "scientists" say about em.....they are freaking pigs.........go have fun and hunt!!!!

If you are in those units and haven't seen any javelina in that timeframe you are doing things way wrong. They are literally everywhere. 

Find a cholla, prickly pear, ocotillo, and mixed desert scrub south or east facing slope, glass it from 8-11 and pigs will likely be on it.  Rinse and repeat.   

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Non-Typical Solutions said:

If you can't have fun talking about the critters......I saw them referred to that in another Tayassu Tajacu thread.........then what is the fun of it......and in this particular case....I really don't care what the "scientists" say about em.....they are freaking pigs.........go have fun and hunt!!!!

Yup!  They stink either way! 🤢 🤣

Anyone who wishes to know all about javelina should find and read Jerry Day's excellent treatise on the subject -- JAVELINA --RESEARCH AND MANGEMENT IN ARIZONA. As a biologist at the AGFD, Day spent years studying javelina. I think the AGFD published the book (5"x9" softcover, 122 pgs.) in the mid-1980s, so I'm not sure it's still available as a new buy. 

Although swine are supposedly the nearest relatives, he shows a long list of the physical differences between pigs and javelina. Also, although Day uses Tayassu Tajacu, it seems the official taxonomical name is now pecari tajacu. Here's the way the javelina fits into the biological chain, as shown by several reliable references. 

Kingdom: Animalia 
Phylum: Chordata 
Class: Mammalia 
Order: Artiodactyla 
Suborder: Suina 
Family: Tayassuidae
Genus: Pecari
Species: tajacu

• Like 1

No need to waste time and money on a book. The two basics are number one they stink, and number two they aren't the best tablefare. That being said they are fun to hunt.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, trophyseeker said:

Anyone who wishes to know all about javelina should find and read Jerry Day's excellent treatise on the subject -- JAVELINA --RESEARCH AND MANGEMENT IN ARIZONA. As a biologist at the AGFD, Day spent years studying javelina. I think the AGFD published the book (5"x9" softcover, 122 pgs.) in the mid-1980s, so I'm not sure it's still available as a new buy. 

Although swine are supposedly the nearest relatives, he shows a long list of the physical differences between pigs and javelina. Also, although Day uses Tayassu Tajacu, it seems the official taxonomical name is now pecari tajacu. Here's the way the javelina fits into the biological chain, as shown by several reliable references. 

Kingdom: Animalia 
Phylum: Chordata 
Class: Mammalia 
Order: Artiodactyla 
Suborder: Suina 
Family: Tayassuidae
Genus: Pecari
Species: tajacu

Great read. Well worth the time and the dime...

1 hour ago, ThomC said:

Could we have a pronunciation of those words in english please.  🐖

Here's a bit more...…….

Animalia (from Latin meaning animals): The kingdom Animalia, or Metazoa, includes all animals. Animals are multicellular, eukaryotic organisms, which are heterotrophic, meaning they obtain nutrition from organic sources.

Chordata (from Latin meaning chords): Chordates are animals that possess a notochord, a hollow dorsal nerve cord, pharyngeal slits, an endostyle, and a post-anal tail, for at least some period of their life cycle.

Mammalia (from Latin meaning breasts): Mammals are any of a class of warm-blooded higher vertebrates that nourish their young with milk secreted by mammary glands, have the skin usually more or less covered with hair, and include humans.

Artiodactyla (from Greek meaning even-toed): an order of hoofed mammals (as the sheep, goat, pig, camel, or ox) with an even number of functional toes on each foot.

Tayassuidae (from Latin (plural of Tayassu) meaning pigs): The family is made up of the three species of peccary found from the southwestern United States to Argentina.

Pecari (from Latin meaning peccaries):  a genus of mammals in the peccary family, Tayassuidae.

tajacu (origin unknown - named Tayassu tajacu by Linnaeus, 1758): the (sub) species name for collared peccary or javelina. The 14 subspecies occur from northern Argentina in South America, throughout Central America, and have spread into the southern Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas in the United States.