Sign in to follow this  
Hgrimes

Tucson Units

Hi guys,

I was looking to do my first mule deer OTC hunt this month once I get back to campus (University of Arizona). I haven't scouted much yet, but have seen a few areas with deer trails when scouting for my February javelina hunt. I scouted bits of unit 33, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on better units surrounding Tucson to hunt. If so, any even very slight clues on where to hunt in the unit would be greatly appreciated. I know that the hunts require a great deal of hiking and glassing and feel that I'm prepared for all of it except for the location. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Depends on how far you want to drive.  The area out towards Arivaca has good mule deer and coues  numbers.  Both north and south of the road, that divides 36A and c.  I've seen some nice muley bucks while coues hunting down there.  Or go of east of town  off I 10, Davidson Canyon/ Marsh Station rd. area used to have good numbers when I lived in  Vail.  Almost any of the rolling hill country down south of town will produce, just get in there and glass.

There are mule deer all over. I found these 15 minutes from town in Tucson mountain park a couple of Saturdays ago

IMG_20181228_091734.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks, I will probably end up trying both. This weekend I'm going to give Tucson Mountain Park a shot because some friends recommended this spot as well. Will follow up with how it goes.

25 minutes ago, Hgrimes said:

Thanks, I will probably end up trying both. This weekend I'm going to give Tucson Mountain Park a shot because some friends recommended this spot as well. Will follow up with how it goes.

Lots of people hunt in there, some really nice bucks! Not many harvest. Be careful of the anti hunters/hikers but don’t assume everyone hiking is an anti hunter. Weird place to hunt but it’s hunting. Not my cup of tea. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, muledeerarea33? said:

Lots of people hunt in there, some really nice bucks! Not many harvest. Be careful of the anti hunters/hikers but don’t assume everyone hiking is an anti hunter. Weird place to hunt but it’s hunting. Not my cup of tea. 

Yeah I agree...when I was glassing a buck, hikers, mountain bikers, and cars going by on Kinney Road all at the same time it was really weird feeling. 

If its that populated maybe I'll stick to another spot. I was scouting a few spots earlier this season that I thought were fairly remote turns out I hiked back onto a trail and soon enough had hikers walking through the basin I was glassing. Thanks for all the advice on muley's I've hunted whitetail in Louisiana my whole life but this is a whole new ball game.

I hunted TMP a long time ago - back when I was in college and stage coaches still went through, no electricity...oh wait, not quite that far back, but even then I got nasty looks from hikers and dog walkers. Did see some deer though. I'd suggest more South and East. From Reddington road you can get into some awesome country if you are willing to hike. If you want to drive even a little more, there's endless country for a bowhunter willing to hike. Actually, just about anywhere 1/2 hour from Tucson you are in some good stuff. Just hard to navigate the private land but OnX maps are great for that.  

2 hours ago, Coach said:

I hunted TMP a long time ago - back when I was in college and stage coaches still went through, no electricity...oh wait, not quite that far back, but even then I got nasty looks from hikers and dog walkers. Did see some deer though. I'd suggest more South and East. From Reddington road you can get into some awesome country if you are willing to hike. If you want to drive even a little more, there's endless country for a bowhunter willing to hike. Actually, just about anywhere 1/2 hour from Tucson you are in some good stuff. Just hard to navigate the private land but OnX maps are great for that.  

I've been on Reddington Road through Tanque Verde a couple times before, but have never gone too far in. Are you allowed to stay parked there through the day overnight without any permits? 

I can't speak to what permits may be required up there, but it's been a while. I know there's a lot of public land issues up on the mountain, but last time I was in Reddington & Tanque Verdue it was still open access. The great thing about AZ is, it's kind of on the land owners to post their land. Don't go shooting up water tanks or using their corrals for firewood and you're generally OK. (Believe it or not just had a rancher describe how some kids broke down part of his corral for firewood because it 'looked old')  Use OnX maps so you know where BLM & State lands are, and if you cross private land, be respectful. If you come across a rancher working cows or horses, pull over and stop. Pick up beer cans and sure as heck don't throw any out. 

Once you get in a little further than what you are describing, without giving too much, you'll find yourself in a place that has a lot of great hunting. One, two ridges over from the closest roads there's some great country and most of it is untouched because only a tiny percent of hunters actually hike a mile or two in these days.