CatfishKev

CWD

Seems like someone noticed. Had a buddy asking me about it said its all over facebook people talking about "zombie deer". So i googled it and like three or four articles published in the last couple days popped up.  It must have caught the attention of someone. So called "experts" are claiming it could spread to humans which is something I've personally given some thought too and hope it stays out of AZ.  Hopefully the public awareness will bring about some helpful research.  

I harvested a deer in Colorado with CWD. I was about 1.5 miles from the truck and had to navigate a 900 foot cliff to get in and out so I could legally access the public land only to learn my deer tested positive. They ask me to donate it as they were feeding the contaminated meat to a captive mountain lion for study. They gave me $50 dollars since I cut and wrapped my own meat. 

4 minutes ago, 452b264 said:

I harvested a deer in Colorado with CWD. I was about 1.5 miles from the truck and had to navigate a 900 foot cliff to get in and out so I could legally access the public land only to learn my deer tested positive. They ask me to donate it as they were feeding the contaminated meat to a captive mountain lion for study. They gave me $50 dollars since I cut and wrapped my own meat. 

Wow that sucks man.  Did the deer seem healthy to you when you killed?  Did they have a testing kit that gave intant results? 

The deer looked just fine. I knew about CWD  so I waited for the test results to come back, I also wear gloves when skinning my animal.

My perspective is dated. Last I was aware CWD was more in WY and CO. Some but not a whole lot in UT. A lot of low density deer populations between S AZ and CWD heard's. One good thing about wooves is that they take down the sick fast and spread out the deer slowing the disease propagation.

It's never been found in az, as of 2018.  Who knows now, everyone should put in this year, especially the Bab.

6 minutes ago, 654321 said:

CWD is in 24 states of which 3 of those border AZ.

It’s in AZ too.  It’s everywhere.  Always has been.  Always will be.   Funny thing about when you start looking for something, you find it.  

• Like 2

Yep, It's been around for a long time and I'm sure they'll find it more and more as time goes on. I've got property in mn and right now the dnr there is in a all out blitz to kill every deer in areas where they find cwd. Stupid thing is that this actually disperses the disease even more as the deer that they don't kill will travel to where there is deer and infect those healthy deer. They're using cwd as a means to eradicate deer in places where they deem to have to high of a population. Wisconsin tried to control cwd by the same methods and it failed.  

Joe Rogan has a podcast about it pretty interesting and scary stuff how easily it can spread.  A deer can be infected with it for a couple years without showing any signs.  

11 hours ago, AZAV8ER said:

My perspective is dated. Last I was aware CWD was more in WY and CO. Some but not a whole lot in UT. A lot of low density deer populations between S AZ and CWD herds. One good thing about wolves is that they take down the sick fast and spread out the deer increasing the disease propagation.

There I fixed it for you. 

Also no human has ever been infected with CWD even those that eat deer everyday in Colorado.  😊

11 minutes ago, ThomC said:

There I fixed it for you. 

Appreciate the thought but I meant to spell "wooves". From what reading I have done the disease is spread in the feces and urine and when winter herds gather in thicker densities on limited range the chance of contamination goes up.