Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

Too Hot

It may just be a loose primer pocket but I would not experiment anymore as others have said.  You are really at the point of diminishing return anyways, what another 20fps that will change nothing about performance in any category.  

Great javi gun!   I am doing 6.5 for an ultralight pack gun.  Nothing wrong with the caliber, I don't expect magic.  

• Like 1

On 3/11/2019 at 2:37 PM, ctafoya said:

Thanks for the info guys. I worked up to this load, as mentioned before I did not have pressure signs prior to this load. I can't remember off the top of my head but I'm a few thousands off the lands. 

I agree starting out this high would be stupid at best. 

This isn't being built for long range big game. I'm aware of the rounds limitations. This is for my wife to hunt javi's and not have to lug around her 7mm. 

No need to hot rod this for a pig.    Try a 6.5 X 284, 6.5 300 win mag, ect.    No need to press the envelop like that.   Use the extreme powders too.   I won't use anything else just for the fact that you can develop a load when it is 30 degrees outside and then go out in the summer and blow your gun up.   Do as you wish but the extreme powders are the only powders to use.   

I'm also not a fan of the 6.5CM.   Way over sold.   It is like buying a .308 and wishing you had a 300 win mag.   But I have to congratulate the gun manufactures for their marketing efforts to sell more guns in a popular caliber.  

On 3/11/2019 at 2:37 PM, ctafoya said:

Thanks for the info guys. I worked up to this load, as mentioned before I did not have pressure signs prior to this load. I can't remember off the top of my head but I'm a few thousands off the lands. 

I agree starting out this high would be stupid at best. 

This isn't being built for long range big game. I'm aware of the rounds limitations. This is for my wife to hunt javi's and not have to lug around her 7mm. 

No need to hot rod this for a pig.    Try a 6.5 X 284, 6.5 300 win mag, ect.    No need to press the envelop like that.   Use the extreme powders too.   I won't use anything else just for the fact that you can develop a load when it is 30 degrees outside and then go out in the summer and blow your gun up.   Do as you wish but the extreme powders are the only powders to use.   

I'm also not a fan of the 6.5CM.   Way over sold.   It is like buying a .308 and wishing you had a 300 win mag.   But I have to congratulate the gun manufactures for their marketing efforts to sell more guns in a popular caliber.  

If you are getting 2800 with 143s in a 22" barrel, I would say you are about as close as you can get.  Stop there.  Remember, that H100V is going to get hotter as temps rise too.  

As for the Nosler soft head issues, I have seen case head swipes and ejector marks in 28 Nosler, .300RUM, .300WM, 7RM, 6.5x.284 Norma, and .264WM.  All fairly hot rounds.  But still seeing signs before any other brass shows it.  I have seen several 28 Nosler cases that were toast after one firing by a guy who was admittedly running them way too hot (a 195 EOL @ 3200+) and not good accuracy results.  Once we got it dialed back, and loaded up right, that thing is a .1" rifle, and loves the 195s @ 3095fps.  And he has since smoked some great animals with it.  

If I remember correct, I’m running 2750fps on a 130 hybrid on h4350, I strictly use alpha brass for my creed, been very happy with them. Wish they would make some brass  for my 280AI

On 3/11/2019 at 1:01 PM, CouesPursuit said:

In addition to the 2 comments above, and after making sure you're not jammed into the lands, consider 2850fps with the 143gr eldx in a 6.5 Creedmor is FAST. .

Not to say others don't get great velocities out of their given loads, and I'm only shooting a 20" barrel, but I have worked with a few of the faster powders (RL17,RL19,Superformance, H4350) and I have had trouble getting 2750fps.

Even 24" barrels in the load data aren't putting out very many velocities over 2800. 

I recently worked up some loads for a Ruger American Rifle in .270. I found that the ogive on the 130 grain SST was jammed into the lands at the COL of 3.30

Max cartridge length is listed at 3.34 for a factory .270. I expected a little more freebore than that.

I checked this against an older model 54 Winchester that I have using the same bullet and the length was 3.42

Maybe Ruger Americans are a little short chambered?

45 minutes ago, singleshot said:

I recently worked up some loads for a Ruger American Rifle in .270. I found that the ogive on the 130 grain SST was jammed into the lands at the COL of 3.30

Max cartridge length is listed at 3.34 for a factory .270. I expected a little more freebore than that.

I checked this against an older model 54 Winchester that I have using the same bullet and the length was 3.42

Maybe Ruger Americans are a little short chambered?

It could be that the throat in your 54 is just worn a little.