Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

Too Hot

Hornady brass is not known for consistency. you could go through 99 rounds and be just fine but the case capacity might be a lot different on round 100 and cause this kind of thing to happen. Like others have said as well, 6.5cm is not a hot rod. I've been riding the 6.5cm hate train since the day it came out. Winchester came out with a MUCH better 6.5 cartridge in the 60's, the .264 win mag. If you want magnum velocities, shoot a magnum cartridge. that being said, i shoot about 4 grains over MAX recommended charge out of my .264 win mag without any issues at all. i worked my way up to it from a mid charge and the faster i shoot it, the better the rifle likes it. Also, using Lapua, Nosler or Norma brass (or sorting the brass you have) will give you more consistency with pressure signs

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ctafoya said:

Thanks for the info guys. I worked up to this load, as mentioned before I did not have pressure signs prior to this load. I can't remember off the top of my head but I'm a few thousands off the lands. 

I agree starting out this high would be stupid at best. 

This isn't being built for long range big game. I'm aware of the rounds limitations. This is for my wife to hunt javi's and not have to lug around her 7mm. 

I think that’s a perfect use for that cartridge.  I would just step back to where you had it and stick with it.  2800fps with a 143 will kill any javelina within a mile.  I would think any permanent damage to the rifle would be visible.  That’s why they put gas vents on the side of them so if you really overdue it it’ll go that way.  That being said I wouldnt try it again.  If even drop a little lower in case you have it out when it’s really hot outside.  Thank you for not going on forums and claiming elk kills at 800+ yards with it.  I have no doubt it will do it under ideal situations, there are just too many keyboard jockies out there running creedmoors with no idea what they are (aren’t) capable of.  It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it though.   If she ever draws an elk tag, as much as I hate to say it, it would make a good short range elk gun for her too.   I’d just use the 7mm to be safe though!  

• Like 1

Do you have a photo of the head of the 43.5gr brass?  I can't believe you would not have had an ejector mark if the 44.0 was THAT hot.  What was the velocity of the 43.5gr load?

Maybe that one piece of brass was faulty too?  Never know.   Did you feel any loose primer pockets when seating primers?   Maybe an undersized primer too?

I have had several rifles that did just fine over "book max charge weight".  But that round seems WAY WAY too hot. 

Ditch the Hornady brass.  Buy Lapua SRP brass.  Very consistent, and very tough.  They can handle higher pressures much better.  But not THAT much pressure.

If you are running a 26" barrel, 2850 is possible.  You never said what your barrel length is.

100V is a magnum powder.  Maybe try H4350?  Also, 100V is not an "Extreme" powder, meaning temp sensitivity.  Similar to Superformance.

What primer were you using? I missed it if you listed that info.  Magnum primers add pressure.

Per reloading data, you were  not way over max load though.

Here is straight from Hodgdon's website:

Case: Hornady
Twist: 1:8"
Primer: Federal 210M, Large Rifle Match
Barrel Length: 24"
Trim Length: 1.910"

Bullet Weight
143 GR. HDY ELD-X

Manufacturer
Hodgdon
Powder
Hybrid 100V
Bullet Diam.
.264"
C.O.L.
2.800"

Starting Loads

GRS. VEL.(FT/S) PRESS.
36.8 2,433 44,300 PSI

Maximum Loads

GRS. VEL.(FT/S) PRESS.
43.4 2791

61,500 PSI

Yeah Lance - if Lapua or Nosler doesn't make headstamped brass, I'm not interested in the cartridge these days....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

Yeah Lance - if Lapua or Nosler doesn't make headstamped brass, I'm not interested in the cartridge these days....

Don't forget ADG & Alpha brass.  They are right there with the "blue box".  Or even RWS.

I am not even a huge fan of Nosler if there is one of the other 3 available.  Their brass has very tight standards and good prep work completed, but their heads seem quite soft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lancetkenyon said:

Don't forget ADG & Alpha brass.  They are right there with the "blue box".  Or even RWS.

I am not even a huge fan of Nosler if there is one of the other 3 available.  Their brass has very tight standards and good prep work completed, but their heads seem quite soft.

Yes, should've included those....

Alpha is good but expand the lineup! 

Nosler IME is pretty good stuff, on average all things considered. Better than their bullets for sure. At least the BC of the brass can't be overinflated consistently ...

Give rl16 a try. I get about 75 FPS average over h4350. My alpha SRP brass adds about another 25fps or so and custom action hides the pressure well.

I hope your wife hammers some critters with her creedmoor. Not sure how a person can actually dislike a cartridge. Bet they don’t even shoot.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, lancetkenyon said:

I was beginning to suspect that.  Nosler brass I use is showing incipient case head sep. after 7 firings.  It is not even worth annealing the necks.  With Lapua, I am on the 19th firing, and everything still looks like new.  No stretch to speak of.  Guess I better anneal one of these days.

forepaw 

Average velocity with 43.5 was 2800. Barrel length is 22". Rifle is a Ruger American. Shell picture below.

Primers felt good going in. I've never had an issue with them before. I am using CCI #200 large rifle primers.KIMG1479(1).thumb.jpeg.b3b3617ea32b9dacab8ff89e8f24bb1b.jpeg I use Norma and Lapua for my magnum rifles, and Hornady for standards. I've never had an issue until now. 

I have tried H4350, V100, and superformance with Berger VLD 130's Hornady SST 140's, and the 143 ELDX. I had great results with 40.5 grains of V100 with the SST. Average speed is 2605. Highest was 2614, lowest 2598. Below is a 5 shot group at 100 yards of my bipod in the wind. I should just be happy with these results, but I like to play. 

KIMG1619.jpeg

20 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

What cartridge are you guys seeing that case head Nosler stuff on?

.270 Win. for me.  Rifle is a T3 Lite.  I like Nosler brass, it is very good but doesn't seem to last like some of the others.

forepaw

That primer is flat which shows pressure, but it doesn't show ejector marks or cratering which are other signs of over pressure.