CatfishKev

GOOD NEWS!

15 hours ago, CatfishKev said:

I dont know why they don't just make it part of the otc hunts.

because the G&F gets the extra $13 or $15 for an app fee for anyone who sends in a letter... not to mention the privilege of donating either an extra $48 or $50/tag so you'll be "special"...

edit... I was thinking about doing this in the past, but an elk tag up there, where you'll likely never see any, just isn't worth $200.  If I was seriously going to consider this, I'd probably spend the extra $s and go hunt elk where I can find them in Colorado with an OTC tag.  I know that's more than 2x the cost, but at least you'd hear and see elk, probably every day if you knew what you were doing.   

Last year the left over Kaibab elk tag was $48

17 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

Last year the left over Kaibab elk tag was $48

maybe that's what it is, not the $148 plus the $48...

Last year the leftover tags were $35 each plus the $13 application fee. Total was $48. Since I already had the deer tag in my pocket it was a no brainer. Especially since one of the last known sightings at the time of my hunt was not far from the area I had planned to hunt last year.

I spoke with G&F people up there while I was on the hunt though, and the more recent sightings during the deer hunt had been on the 12AW side of the road.

On 3/15/2019 at 4:33 PM, Hoss50 said:

Last year the leftover tags were $35 each plus the $13 application fee. Total was $48. Since I already had the deer tag in my pocket it was a no brainer. Especially since one of the last known sightings at the time of my hunt was not far from the area I had planned to hunt last year.

I spoke with G&F people up there while I was on the hunt though, and the more recent sightings during the deer hunt had been on the 12AW side of the road.

so. with 30-50 animals, has anyone here heard reports of bugles?  There's got to be bugling bulls with that many animals, albeit they may be harder to find and you still have to be relatively close to hear them. 

9 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

I thought I was told or read that they were all cows left. As I recall.

If that’s the case, then they don’t need to issue anymore tags. They’ll all be gone before too long. 

46 minutes ago, Beaton said:

My buddy sent me a screenshot of his portal and it shows he got a leftover camp Navajo archery cow tag.

Congratulations to your buddy.  I guess that means I didn't draw a leftover since my portal is empty ☹️

53 minutes ago, Goldfinger78 said:

Congratulations to your buddy.  I guess that means I didn't draw a leftover since my portal is empty ☹️

Than you are the real winner! 

• Like 1

Those tags do all sell out. I went to buy one after drawing a deer tag on the Strip in 2017, and they were all gone. Too bad, since I was seeing a nice 6 x 6 on trail cameras. I suspect that the people that live in southern Utah buy a big chunk of them, since they pay the same amount that AZ residents do for those tags, and it's right out their back door.

• Like 1

Last year when I bought one in October I think my tag was 255 of 750. That left about 500 tags open to buy.