crazy4COUES

BACKPACKING BOOTS OPINIONS NEEDED

Has anyone ever used the salewa alpine gtx mid for hinting/hiking? They fely good and looked awesome just not sure how hey will be in the long run. They do however have a no blister guarantee! Wow right!

I am surprised more people are not using Kenetrek. ????

• Like 1

I am a big Wolverine fan and I recently decided to spend some money one a good quality pair of boots. Ended up getting the Crispi Nevada GTX and I am impressed. They were comfortable right out of the box and required no break in for me. I pretty much use them from Sept-Feb. I like them so much I am considering getting the un-insulated Idaho version for the earlier hunts.

I have tried the Meindel Perfekt boots and took them back because they squeeked really bad. I then tried the new Lightweight version and had the same issues and my feet got wet in them so took them back.

Danner or Keens, both seem to need hardly any break in period. the danners are a little warm on long desert runs but change your socks and you avoid the blisters.

Thought I might share a recent encounter with Salomon's warranty:

Last Aug I purchased a pair of Quest 4D boots for use as a dual hunting/backpacking boot. I wore it around the house and to work for about 2 weeks before heading out on a 4 day trip to Havasupai Falls in Sept. This is a very popular hike and the trail isn't particularly rough but it is a little on the long side: something like 10 or 11 miles, one way. The boots performed very well on the trip. So well, in fact, that I continued to wear them everyday at work for the next 4 months and on a couple of short hikes near the house. I spend a lot of time on my feet in my occupation and generally carry quite a bit of weight. After a total of 5 months in the boots, 4 days a week, I began to notice the outside corner of the both heels coming apart. The sole was coming off the midsole just at those 2 corners. I don't know if its the way I walk or what but honestly, with what Salomon charges for these boots and the manner in which they market them, I wouldn't expect them to start coming apart after less than 6 months. I called Salomon and described this very thing to them. The nice woman that helped me out emailed a few forms to fill out, which I did, and emailed them right back along with a couple photos of the damage. This was just over 2 weeks ago. Last Friday I received a brand new pair of boots on my front door step.

No charges to me.

No requirement to return the damaged boots.

No further questions asked.

I've been a Salomon customer for over 25 yrs, starting with ski equipment, then to early versions of hiking boots, trail running shoes, and now these boots. They've always built a great product and been at the forefront of technology and innovation. Apparently their warranty and customer service is just as solid as their products. I intend to repair the older boots with shoe goo and continue to use them at work. The new pair will hang out and wait for that elk tag that I'm gonna get drawn for this year...

• Like 1

For the next guy that is lookin, I'll chime in and say the boots at Schnee's are the best I have ever put on my feet. Far better than the Danners, Irish Setters, 5.11's and Rocky's I owned in the past. Extremely comfortable, great ankle support, great traction and extremely durable. I've had mine for three years now, which is much better than any other boot I have owned. Pricey but worth it.

I've had my kenetrek mt extrems for 3 years now, still my fav boot. They are the most comfortable shoe i own!

Also looking for hunting boots. Headed to the valley next weekend. Where's the best chance I could find some. Danners, kenetrek, salomons, Mendel,

Meindl-Cabela's

Danner-Sportsman's, Cabela's or Bass Pro

Solomon-REI

Asolo-REI

Kennetrek-Sportsman's or Cabela's

Lowa and Scarpa-AZ Hiking Shack or REI

I wear sock liners they are fantastic and darn tough merino wool extra cushion socks this makes my feet the most comfortable and keep my sweaty feet dry

The liners I like the best are bridge dale

For me, I hunt almost every weather condition in 2 set of boots.

Danner Gila

Solomon 4D GTX

I wear them to work often as well dependent on site location and conditions. I have worn them from -11° to 119°. I just change to sock for the conditions.

The Danner Gila took a little bit to break in, but are great now that they have. The Solomon were fantastic right out of the box.

For me, I hunt almost every weather condition in 2 set of boots.

Danner Gila

Solomon 4D GTX

I wear them to work often as well dependent on site location and conditions. I have worn them from -11° to 119°. I just change to sock for the conditions.

The Danner Gila took a little bit to break in, but are great now that they have. The Solomon were fantastic right out of the box.

Last year, I ended up buying a pair of Danner Gila as well. Great pair of boots and hunted quail with them all season. So far, holding up really well and very comfortable. Perfect for hunting and hiking in the desert hills. Also took them on an elk hunt in GMU 1 in December. No insulation, but still worked fine. They replaced my old school Vasque Skywalks that were resoled 3 times.