crazy4COUES

BACKPACKING BOOTS OPINIONS NEEDED

Chris,

I noticed that Zamberlan is carried by REI, but the model you noted is not on the REI website. Still may have to go over and see what REI has to try on when I am in Phoenix this weekend.

Doug

Asolo: bombproof, light, and comfy. I've had mine for over two years and put hundreds of miles hunting/hiking/backpacking on 'em and they still offer great support and don't leak. I bought mine on suggestion from two friends who do archaeological surveys. One works in Alaska and one works in Southern AZ; both of them have several years on the same pair, and if they stand up in AK and AZ they will stand up anywhere.

Serious boots for serious hiking

Asolo

Scarpa

Zamberlan

None of these boots are good for running after rutting bulls, or sitting in a treestand.

But, when it's time to move weight in the back country, real boots can save your life.

The original Vasque Sundowners(all leather ones, not the cloth/leather ones). They quit making them, but if you find a good used pair you can re-sole them. My dad has put several thousand miles on his pair over the last 23?+ years. I currently have some Danners that have served me well for the last 5 years. Biggest thing is to make sure you match your boot to what you are going to be doing, i.e. load, distance, terrain, weather, etc...

I've struggled with boots for a long time. Tearing up a pair a year with just a few weeks hard use in the field. Tearing up my feet over and over as well in the process. AZ is hard on boots so kevlar might not even hold up where I hunted!

A couple years ago moved up to Danners. I Love them because they require little to no break in and while they are not bulletproof they do well in Wyoming for me. My next upgrade will be the Meindel perfekt hunters as they are the only other boot I've ever tried on that felt like it would not need that break in time and pain.

Good wool socks and a sock liner are the final "inside" essential. Any Boot, Any Hunt needs the right liner and sock.

Anyone else tried out the Meindl Perfekt Hunters? Man, have I torn through the boots in my time, but I'd stack these against anything out there. The 10" feel like you're in running shoes - even on our volcanic rock mixed in mud up here.

I have light weight Danners that I use as "utility boots", and let me just say, their customer service is second to NONE. I've sent back Danners twice and each time got a brand new, upgraded pair. That said, I did have to send them back after the stitching tore loose or the gore-tex failed. It's great that they treat their customers so well, but I'd prefer NOT to have to send my boots back. And I'm not one of those guys who beats the heck out them and then expects a new pair 3 years later.

IMO, the Meindl Perfekt Hunters are the real deal. Pricey, but when you already KNOW what your next pair of boots will be, well, that says something. When I get back from a hunt or scouting trip, I might leave some mud on my truck, and maybe let the oiling down of my gun wait, but my Meindl boots will get scrubbed down and treated to preserve them as long as possible. They take care of me and my legs, so I take really good care of them. I put their importance right up there along side good optics. If your boots fail you way back in, you are hosed. NEVER compromise on boots.

Not to say ASOLO or Danner or a number of other manufacturers aren't good, and I may not jump up and down about Toyota or Swarovski or Bowtech or any number of products I truly count on - BUT I will go ape-nuts over Meindl boots - I just believe they live up to the expectations and needs of hunters - And nothing can wreck a tough hunt faster than boots that fail.

Just my humble $.02

I started wearing the Meindl Canada's over 15 years ago and am now on my 4th pair. Awesome boots for Coues country. Now if I can just keep my 19 year old out of them maybe they'll last another 4 years!

I worked a job that required @ half the year walking outdoors; the Danners seemed to use less full leather, so I went to Vasque all leather, foreign made, Gore Tex Sundowner. My second pair is so tough I am wearing out the sole!

A real big HOWEVER...Southern AZ is hot for my feet, and the Vasque are simply too warm for all but maybe November to mid January.

Now, I wear Ariat work boots.

Breathable, abit heavy in the heel, and weak in the toe----I applied fletching glue to a very thin spot I wore on the toe.

Had to sew up two places, but just bought a second pair, for indoor casual work. That way, I can rotate easily when the first Ariat pair truly wear out.

My job gives big off-time, and I wore the Ariats on a 12 day trip, at 65-70 miles, trail and cross country. The heel is alot heavier than most hiking boots, but I like the breathability vs. toughness compromise.

One man's opinion.

I know this post is old but it really helped me find my new boots. I went with the Meindl Perfekt Hiker. They are the most comfortable I have worn and really help keep my Plantar Fasciitis from hindering my hunt. Thank you all for the great information.

Has anybody ever tried these boots Cabela's Uninsulated Ultralight™ Hunter Boots by Meindl? the reviews look alright. from the way they look on the cabelas website, they look like a good pair? just wondering if anybody has tried these?

Has anybody ever tried these boots Cabela's Uninsulated Ultralight™ Hunter Boots by Meindl? the reviews look alright. from the way they look on the cabelas website, they look like a good pair? just wondering if anybody has tried these?

I tried them on at Cabela's the other day and I think they are going to be my next boots. Sure felt good in the store.

Only saw one comment about using good socks.

I work on a lot of feet during wildfire season, and most of them are due to cheap socks. I even got burned last season by some Cabela's wool socks, thought I was getting a deal on 6 pr for $20, I had big blisters on the first fire of the season using boots that I had worn for 4 seasons. I came to the conclusion that if you are paying less than $7 to $8 a pair you probably won't like them. I hate to use price as a quality gauge but so far it has been accurate. Liners are nice, if your outside sock slips down just fold the top down over the top of your boots. I also hit my feet every night with hand sanitizer, it kills the stink and helps your feet dry much faster, I've seen trenchfoot on fires a couple times where folks weren't taking their boots off and drying their feet out. Takes the stink out of your armpits too.