crazy4COUES

BACKPACKING BOOTS OPINIONS NEEDED

Another vote for Meindl. I bought the Perfekt Hunters from Cabelas this year and they are the best boots I've ever owned.

When I used to backpack a lot (5+ times a year) I used Vasques. Last year I did a backpack bear hunt and used a pair of Danners. They did well, but were more of a hunting boot vs a backpacking boot, so the lacked some support I would have like to have had on the pack out.

I just picked up a pair of Meindl Denali's with the Fit IQ. I'm currently breaking them in to use on another backpack bear hunt at the end of March. I'll try and remember to report back in about how they did. So far they are feeling comfortable and very supportive.

Ron

Check out Latrop and Sons- They are foot docs that specialize in hunting boots and custom insoles.

HanWag is the brand they carry for backpack / serious mountain hunting. I have Meindl as well which a great boot but I prefer my HanWag. You can also order Hanwag with out Goretex which is awesome for most AZ huntging

http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/index.php

I would also go to Cabelas and try the Perfekt Hiker and Alaska models by Meindl.

Another big vote for Smartwool socks.

Danners are weak in comparison, I went through 3 pair before going Euro.

Dang.......you guys got me sold on Meindl's! I can't wait to go check em' out! I just wish i had given up on Damners about $400.00 ago!

Another vote for the Meindl. I wore Danners for years and bought a pair of the perfekt Hunters last year. They are by far the best and most comfortable boot I have ever owned.

Yet another vote for the Meindl's. I have the Perfekts and the Alaskans Love them both. I wore Danners this year (2 pair) Desert Eagle GTX (nice Boot) and a low pair. I absolutley smashed both pairs in one season. Stitching and Soles gone! If I would have bought meindls last spring, i would still be wearing them.

I will buy another set of Meindls in the next month or two.

A good pair of boots is probably one of the most important pieces of kit you can have, but with so many on offer it can be hard to make the right decision.The Asolo Men's TPS 520 GV Backpacking Boot takes on long distances and heavy loads with ease. If the weather turns nasty, you can count on the waterproof breathable Gore-Tex insert to keep your foot dry every step of the way.

Just bought some Scarpa SL M3 boots. I like them so far. they are way comfortable and give me alot of support around my ankles. I would have got them from Summit Hut, but i got them on line for 100 dollars less. Also check out the La Sportiva boots.

I have used a pair of the Cabela's Elk Hunters, Danner makes them, for 2 seasons and they are holding up great. I do most of my hunting in unit 33 and 37b and only use leather boots. ( cholla is not my friend) I will check out the Meindl's now. You guys have peaked my intrest. How well do the soles hold up to the rocks down in the southern units?

Depends on how much money you want to spend and what kind of terrain you will be in. I have used a pair of Columbia (Frontier's) on quite a few trips. They are water proof with Gortex, fit above the ankle for support and were about $120. However, rocky terrain will eat them up. Good for archery hunts up north before it starts to get too cold. Light weight.

All leather boots are my only choice for hunts down south - my Danners have been great. Have also had a pair of Vasques - great boot, but hard to break in. Both are more expensive, but worth it in the long run.

I have used Danner 452 GTX for 4 years then I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Meindls IQ Fits and was not pleased with them. Too tall for me and even after a few trips they are still way too stiff for trying to put on an archery stalk. Great sheep country boots I'll say that much.

I wanted to find a boot that was shorter, had decent ankle movement, yet supportive, and a vibram like sole that would take a beating and allow for carrying a heavy load on rocks quite well.

While at the RMEF national convention in Reno this year I was able to try one some Kenetreks, Schnees, and then found a new company to me, Zamberlan. I tested each boot multiple times over the few days I was there and it came down to the Zamberlan's. Specifically the Zamberlan 965 LHASA GT models. I'll admit the price was a big selling point since they had a huge show discount but if I laced on all those boots with a blind fold, I couldn't have told them apart. On thing I tend to shy away from is when it says something other than Goretex on the side of the boot. I've been watching a buddy struggle with a boot that says it's waterproof and turns out it's not even close. Not something I want to risk on a $300 boot purchase.

So I texted some buddies to do some research on the boots the first day. Turns out they are huge in Italy and have gotten some seriously great reviews from the back packing community.

Well after a few days of wearing them to work and around the house they feel great. I haven't gotten them out in the field yet but that should take place this weekend or next. Time will tell if they turn out to be a good boot but compared to the previous boots I've worn I think they'll what I was looking for in a boot for packing in but still being able to put on a stalk on a deer with my bow.

Here is the link to the Zamberlan LAHSA boots.http://www.zamberlan.com/catalog/index.php?lang=en&pg=prod&idprod=102&idcat=2

cmc

• Like 1

Anybody ever consider ECCO's as they are light weight, all leather, goretex waterproof and are instantly comfortable like you've been wearing them for years the first hour you have them on. They are not cheap but you get what you pay for... :(