codyhuntsaz

Sleeping bag

What sleeping bags are you big fellas using? I’m 6’3 255 pounds. I’m looking to get a new bag, I’m thinking a hybrid style bag, between mummy and rectangle. I ordered one online, but stopped by REI today and laid in one with the same dimensions as the one i ordered and it was just too small. Looks like the one i ordered will be going right back! I want something light enough i can pack in on a hunt if i decide too. Other than that it will be mostly used tent/camper camping. I guess temps could be down to high teens or low 20’s tent camping all the way up to 50-60 on an Oct coues hunt. 

For camping in the trailer or tent camping I use a Cabela's 44 Magnum. For backpacking I have a Big Agnes that I would actually consider selling if you're interested.

I use a Nemo Salsa 15°. It is made for side sleepers who hate to be restricted by mummy bags. most comfortable bag i’ve ever had. 650 down and really lightweight.   I dont think they make the Salsa anymore. New models are Disco and Riff.  They make 15° and 30°

• Like 1

3 hours ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

For camping in the trailer or tent camping I use a Cabela's 44 Magnum. For backpacking I have a Big Agnes that I would actually consider selling if you're interested.

What model big Agnes is it? 

I toss and turn all night and found that using a down or synthetic quilt is my go to way to sleep.  If you have a good pad under you, that is your bottom heat retention, when using a down bag, you crush that fluffy insulation and it really doesn't insulate much.  I find companies with high quality down.  When I do use a bag, I have a semi-rectangular bag from Feathered Friends.  My quilts come from Enlightened Equipment.  Another good bag is form Western Mountaineering,  you can try some of their bags at the Arizona Hiking Shack.

Good down bags will cost  you about 400 bucks.

I bought Tetons form sportsman's warehouse. 

+rated to  0 - the rule of thumb is whatever the bag is rated at +20 degrees for comfort is the actual temperature.  I have had mine down into single digits and have been fine though

+ on sale at sportsman's in the add right now

+ive slept under the stars in mine... with my big baby of an English pointer.  He slept in the foot of my sleeping bag (he doesn't like the cold) and I slept in it with my four legged space heater. was plenty of space.  Theyre twin bed sized (just the normal sleeping bag), but they will zip together. Ive had mine for 10 years or better. the only thing I had to do recently was wax the zippers every few trips

I have been through so many bags in the last 40 years. About 12 years ago I finally got smart and spent the money on a Butler Bag. Best investment ever. Bag was $500.00. Worth every penny. Doesn't matter the temp outside. Has 2 compartments. Very wide. Absolutly none better.

Edited by muley224
wrong price