ScottAdams

NM Success (pics)

It started out as a tough hunt but my boy Austin, the one that didn't draw an AZ tag, finally busted one. We spotted these two bucks this morning and one looked pretty good. Actually any legal buck on this hunt looked good. Anyway they were quite a ways down the ridge so I snapped a couple of quick photos and off we went to move in for the shot.

We arrived across the canyon and I hit 'em with the rangefinder, 358 yards. I setup the shooting sticks and and told Austin to settle in and bust 'em whenever he was ready. He was shooting his new 300 wsm and at 350 yards I figured about a 5 inch drop. Austin was pretty nervous and decided to wait a minute or two to calm down. I took the opportunity to snap a couple more photos. When he finally shot I saw the deer take off holding up his right rear leg. I couldn't see any blood and it didn't look broken. Then the bucks got into some trees and didn't come out.

There was another ridge closer that we hadn't gone to for fear that the bucks would be in the brush before we could get there. So we decided to hike to it and setup to see if we could locate them.

When we arrived, no bucks. I then hiked into the canyon bottom and started working up to where we last saw the bucks while Austin watched from across the canyon.

As I started up the canyon I heard the tell-tale whistle of a blowing whitetail and running deer. I dropped down and waited. Within seconds I heard the crack of that 300 wsm and the whap of a solid hit. My radio then came to life and I heard Austin say, "He's down!! I got him!!".

It was a lot of fun and Austin took a very respectable Coues buck. Not only that but he took in an unlimited NM hunt. I want to thank Tommy Maldonado of Gila Wilderness Hunting for hooking me up in an area that held Coues deer and little pressure on the whitetail population. Thanks Tommy.

This is one of the first photos I took of the bucks when we first located them. Austin's is the biggest one.

Buck1stspotted.jpg

This photo was taken while Austin was "settling down" before the shot.

Buckb-4shot.jpg

One happy father & son!!

AusDadbuck.jpg

Edited by ScottAdams

Austin way to go, that is a great buck, Scott thanks for the story and the pics, great job guys. ~Houston

Great pictures. I like seeing father/kid/deer pictures. I love hunting but it is so much better to take my kids especially my 22 yr old daughter. she has shot 2 deer and 2 elk in AZ so far. She and I have 27/28 Dec tags.

Way to go Austin! Nice coues buck to start an addiction. So what's your secret to get them to look the other way while you shoot?

Doug/Red Rabbit

Guest Ernesto C

Scott,like always,you are the best!! When I grow up I want to be like you :D Austing congratulations,God bless you and your father.Memories that will last for ever. Thanks again for the story and pictures,

Ernesto C.

Congratulations, great job Austin.

Folks, thanks for all the compliments. We had a great time on this hunt. We hiked long and far on this hunt and my legs are actually sore which says something because I'm usually out enough this time of year that my legs are in pretty good shape. We had to locate exactly where these deer were hanging out. Most of the deer we saw before we found this little Coues pocket held the undesireable carp deer.

Doug, I see you noticed I had the bucks looking the other way. Here's my secret, I just whisper "Pssst. There's something behind you." and when the bucks look away we bust 'em. One of my little trade secrets. :D Actually these bucks had no idea we were anywhere in their country. They would hear a bird flutter up the ridge and go on alert. I'll attach a photo of them nuzzling.

Easy there Ernesto. Remember you're the one that got me back to posting from my offseason absence. Thanks for your confidence anyway.

I'm free for a few days until next Friday when I guide a hunter in 30A. I don't know how that hunt will pan out. Time wil tell.

Scott

Bucksnuzzling.jpg

Edited by ScottAdams

Your boy only took a minute or two! I would have blown the whole thing on acount of my nervousness!!

GREAT JOB! :D YOU ARE FORMING THE BEST OF MEMORIES.....NOW! :D

:D

Way to go Austin and Scotty. Man I can't believe how much Austin has grown up. I remember just two years ago, when we took our boys together how little they were. We need to cherish these moments because before you know it they've grown up. :D

Shiras - They were in Unit 23

GREAT JOB AUSTIN AND SCOTT!!!!

THAT'S A VERY BEAUTIFUL DEER. SEEING THESE SUCCESSFUL DEER PICS

MAKES ME JEALOUS. I CAN'T WAIT FOR MY JAN. MEXICO HUNT!!!

GOOD JOB. THANKS FOR THE PICS AND GREAT STORY.

ALBERT

Great job Scott and Austin!!

And guys, please remember, that Tommy is a sponsor of this site. So if you are going to hunt NM, give him a call and see if he can help you out. Obviously, he did a great job for Scott and his boy. The link to his website is in Scott's first post in this thread and also on my the main page of this website and left-hand margin of every other page.

Amanda

Edited by CouesWhitetail