tomkat12

Tranny guy needed (no not that kind sickos) UPDATE

Fred gets recommended more than anybody on the Arizona Cummins page on Facebook. Never done any business with him but that's the person I'll call if I have trouble again. Also I'll be a second person to advise avoiding tri-city transmission. Absolutely horrible experience with them.

4 minutes ago, QCwtAddict said:

Fred gets recommended more than anybody on the Arizona Cummins page on Facebook. Never done any business with him but that's the person I'll call if I have trouble again. Also I'll be a second person to advise avoiding tri-city transmission. Absolutely horrible experience with them.

What happened?

Was quoted a price at another shop that was highly recommended but the warranty company required me to take it elsewhere because of some certification. The extended warranty would only cover up to 2000 and the final price ended up being almost twice the price quoted from the first shop. When I picked it up I immediately told the owner it wasn't shifting right but he assured me it felt different because of they used a heavier duty torque converter. After I think a week or two I took it back for a required check up and the lead tech said something was definitely wrong with how it was shifting, the strong vibration at lower rpm in the top 3 gears and said they had found some metal shavings in the pan so it was gonna need to be rebuilt again. The owner was on vacation but when he got back the following week he called me irate saying I needed to come pick up my truck, that the lead tech doesn't know what he's talking about and that he was the only one there that knows about those transmissions. Roughly 60,000 miles later the transmission still hasn't failed me but still makes a continuous grinding sound everytime it downshifts into third gear until you come to a stop and still has the strong vibration.

He also refused to take payment from the warranty company but didn't bother telling me until the truck was ready to be picked up. So I had to front the money and wait to be reimbursed from the warranty company. 

10 hours ago, QCwtAddict said:

Was quoted a price at another shop that was highly recommended but the warranty company required me to take it elsewhere because of some certification. The extended warranty would only cover up to 2000 and the final price ended up being almost twice the price quoted from the first shop. When I picked it up I immediately told the owner it wasn't shifting right but he assured me it felt different because of they used a heavier duty torque converter. After I think a week or two I took it back for a required check up and the lead tech said something was definitely wrong with how it was shifting, the strong vibration at lower rpm in the top 3 gears and said they had found some metal shavings in the pan so it was gonna need to be rebuilt again. The owner was on vacation but when he got back the following week he called me irate saying I needed to come pick up my truck, that the lead tech doesn't know what he's talking about and that he was the only one there that knows about those transmissions. Roughly 60,000 miles later the transmission still hasn't failed me but still makes a continuous grinding sound everytime it downshifts into third gear until you come to a stop and still has the strong vibration.

He also refused to take payment from the warranty company but didn't bother telling me until the truck was ready to be picked up. So I had to front the money and wait to be reimbursed from the warranty company. 

Yeah, that would piss me off too. That sucks 

So after talking to Fred at FSR I was pretty much blown away with the guys knowledge of Ram transmissions and hes definitely who I will be taking it too if I go that route. I'm sure everyone recommend could do great job but I like that he specializes in the ram tranny. He hasn't seen the truck yet but seemed to know pretty much exactly what was wrong with it and thought it could be repaired right around the 2k range. I just got a call from Chrysler customer service though and they are willing to cover half of replacing the transmission at the dealership. Dealership replacement cost is about $6500 bucks leaving me to pay $3250 for a brand new transmission... what would you guys do?

I’d go with the new/reman from the dealer. Not sure what the other guys warranty is but the dealer warranty is usually decent. Ask/demand that a lead tech or master tech does the job. Then ask to talk to the tech that’s doing it. Other reason, if you bitch enough at a dealer (especially if customer care will pay for half) you’ll get better service. Sucks you have to bitch but that’s how dealers work.

Maybe I missed it but what transmission do you have?

2016 Dodge 4x4 Cummings is $3500 out door. This is not the price for Aisin Transmission. That would prob be more. This is a quote from Pete’s Transmissions in Phx