Sign in to follow this  
skyhawkbowhunter

Bonus point?

I dont think its worth a darn. In 1998 my dad, my uncle and I drew 3 of the 10 early rifle bull tags in unit 10 with just our 1 hunter safety point.

They say it does <_< , but all I can tell you from my personal experience which is my brother and I each had 18 points heading into the antelope draw for Unit 7 this year- neither one of us were drawn. Yet last year, we both put in for Unit 7, and a 14 year old kid we know put in for the same Unit with with only his hunter safety course bonus point - the kid was drawn. At least we helped him get a really nice buck (which was fun), but it was a jagged pill to swallow to wonder how we are unable to get drawn - we have been applying since the late 1970's and have yet to be drawn for antelope :angry: :angry: :angry: .

Does it work? Well, somebody is going to have to explain it to me REALLY SLOW - A COUPLE TIMES to get me to believe it does :huh: :blink: .

Somebody on this sight was bragging about getting 18 archery tags in a row while others can't draw a couple in their lives. Make your own conclusion. I would like to see 50% of the tags for each hunt go to the BP holders with the highest number and 3 choices in the first draw rather than two. I think this would improve the system dramatically. My .02

It used to work until they started making it more and more complicated.

Flagstaff,

Here is the data from the 2007 draw for unit 7 antelope.

#BP, #applicants 1st&2ndchoice, #drawn, %

0, 1276, 0, 0

1, 1247, 2, .16

2, 876, 4, .46

3, 761, 4, 6, .53

4, 519, 6, 1.16

5, 509, 5, .98

6, 529, 1, .19

7, 414, 1, .24

8, 347, 0, 0

9, 329, 3, .91

10, 261, 4, 1.53

11, 219, 4, 1.83

12, 221, 3, 1.36

13, 192, 2, 1.04

14, 118, 0, 0

15, 118, 8, 6.78

16, 69, 4, 5.80

17, 61, 12, 19.67

18, 5, 2, 40.0

As seen, the chance of getting drawn is not great until one is near the 20% pass group. Only 12 of the 61 in your BP group were drawn last year, so there are still many more left than the 14 permits allocated in the 20% pass this year.

There were 4,339 first choice applicants for 65 permits. Not enough critters to make every applicant successful last year (or for many years to come if you do the math).

Guys you have to understand that it is still the luck of the Draw.

If you go to the store and buy 1 lottery ticket you have 1 in a Billion chance of winning.

If you buy 14 tickets, you have 14 in a Billion chance of winning.

Some people have better luck than others.

Yes it does increase your chance of being drawn,

But your # has to come up.

G-7 Bingo

I didnt think so becaus emy dad has 13 bonus points for elk as well as 13 for antelope and has never drawn either of the species and ihave drawn 3 consecutive elk tags this year i drew with my stepdad and all i had was my hunter ed point.

a friend got his 3rd rifle pronghorn tag in 4 years last week. for the same unit i have applied for, for the last 14 years. don't sound like they work much to me. they increase your odds some, but it is still the luck o' the draw. Lark.

If you get a low number in the draw bonus points dont mean crap.

If you draw a low number cool, if you draw a high number crap!

my other answer was: "We got bonus points in Arizona?????"

it doesn't work well and could use a "tweak" This weekend at the expo I heard a guy pull 3 rifle 1 antelope tags in a row and 4 guys 3 out of state with NO points pull early rifle bull tags, it just doesn't seem RIGHT :huh:

I really like how nevada does it... squaring your points, still gives everyone a chance unlike preference points.