Sign in to follow this  
Coues 'n' Sheep

Texas Tom and the other lil' critters

Well.... hopped a plane Monday morning.... Ol' Huntn Coues dumped me off at the airport and I was on my way.....

By 4:00 pm Texas time I was sitting in a ground blind! It was not long before these ladies passed by at 35 yds....

post-996-1208496552.jpg

After they left i had another hen headed my way but she came up short when shee saw the first hens a 150 yards away.

This little fellow was my next visiter.... He mad his way right up to my blind I even got out and messed with him a bit. That Jackie Bushman, feller is a goofball.... I could have caught this sucker with my bare hands!!

post-996-1208496577.jpg

These guys are by far my must have Texas game! I would have loved to brought one of these home and was within bow range with bow in hand but the ranch I was on does not allow their Blackbucks to be hunted.... but one of these days....

A young and immature blackbuck

post-996-1208496759.jpg

A almost fully mature black buck. (I had this on at 40 yds broadside at a waterhole!)

post-996-1208497337.jpg

post-996-1208497465.jpg

Back to the hunt:

My first full day of bird hunting sucked! WINDY and the birds were NOT responding to calls or coming to food sources! There was so much feed everywhere and the travel corridors were the only ticket..... I saw toms but nothing within bow range.

The second full day started about the same..... Gail force winds! Saw two hens on the fenceline I was sitting. When the rest of the guys got picked up for the midday meal and a nap I opted move to a new spot and keep hunting...... and it paid off big!! At 12:20 pm this Longbeard comes down off the hill to my right and starts walking right down the old two-track in my direction! At 19 yds I let him have all he could take of my ACC tipped with a 100 gr. Spitfire! ;)

post-996-1208498095.jpg

He has a 10 1/2" Beard!!!!!! :blink: :blink: :D I about did a backflip I was so happy!!! :D :lol:

post-996-1208498252.jpg

When everyone came back from the midday nap, we took my photos and I was off to a new blind on water. I got out of my blind to try and stalk the largest Gobbler I have EVER seen!!! This bird had to have no less than 13"-14" of beard!!!! He spied me standing stalk still looking over a burm at him and was GONE faster than you can whistle! I crawled back in the blind hoping some other birds might come to the water on the way to roost..... and they did. Oh did I mention that the wind is still blowing??? :rolleyes: Cuz, I might have wanted to try and compensate for that wind when I shot at that Big Gobbler (bigger than mine by an inch or 2)..... as he stood facing me I managed to only cut a couple of feathers off of the downwind side of the bird and he was off to the races with his buddy! :( <_< :angry: I was sick!! Later that evening I missed a gobbler on a spot and stalk, cuz I misjudged my yardage...... :( But, I had a Fantastic time..... I got the biggest Bearded Bird out of our group of five hunters and it was the only bird taken with a bow! :D I got to shoot at two other Dandy birds and stalk on a MONSTER!!! All in 2 1/2 days! What a blast!!! I hope I get to go back!!

It was great to get Bloody!

Thanks for reading.

CnS

Thanks Gino for sharing your hunt with us. That had to be a blast. Welcome back home! :)

TJ

Congrats agian buddy, awesome TOM!!!!!!!!

Five more hours, and I'm on my plane to Texas........ I think the clock is starting to go backwards <_< <_<

Manny

Way to get Bloody Gino

Good looking Tom and lots of action.

Glad you had a good trip and

thanks for sharing the pics and story.

Great job Gino! Thanks for sharing the great story and pic's.

Thanks everyone! It was fun and I was really stoked to not have to pull out the Boom-Stick to get it done! It was cool to do something new like that and have such a successfull trip! Thanks again for the replys and for reading my story. :)

Gino

Nice Job, I still haven't shot one with my bow...Oh so close, but that is one tough hunt...Great job...

Excellent story and great pictures Gino. Congratulations.

My boss shot a black buck last year, BTW they are delicious.

Thanks for the story. Sounds like a great time! I cant wait to get out! Headed to NM tomorrow!

Lance

Whoo Hoo! Great story and pic's there Gina! Awesome bird too......Congrats! JIM>