PowellSixO

Shooting from one unit into another????

So I've done the research, and I've called game and fish. Their response was "I don't know". Haha. So let's say you find a sweet glassing spot in unit 125, which allows you to glass into unit 126. Your tag is for unit 126. You're glassing opening morning, and the buck or bull you've been waiting for, walks out and gives you a 300 yard shot. The animal is in your unit, but you're in a different unit. Can you shoot it??? You're technically hunting the right unit, and you kill the animal in the right unit, but your take the shot from a different unit. Is that good to go, or is g&f going to slap the cuffs on you??? 

Just do it. No way you’d lose that battle. The animal you shoot needs to be in the unit you have the tag for. Nothing says the projectile needs to leave from the same unit. 

• Like 5

I think it’s a slippery slope that begs for a citation. Using your example, if you shoot from unit 125, in effect you’re hunting in unit 125. I could see yourself getting tangled in an unnecessary situation. 

Just do the right thing. Cross the canyon and hunt and shoot in the unit your tag indicates. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, AZ8 said:

I think it’s a slippery slope that begs for a citation. Using your example, if you shoot from unit 125, in effect you’re hunting in unit 125. I could see yourself getting tangled in an unnecessary situation. 

Just do the right thing. Cross the canyon and hunt and shoot in the unit your tag indicates. 

See that's the thing. I'm not hunting that unit. I'm targeting the correct unit. I shoot the correct animal, in the correct unit, with the correct tag. I realize it's a slippery slope. But we're dealing with feelings and emotions here. I lose that battle all day long with the leo that wants to prove his wenus is bigger than mine. I'm looking for hard evidence that says I can NOT do it. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, thegunsmith2506 said:

I know a few people that have done it for elk. Game warden told them they were fine as long as the animal was clearly in the unit the tag was good for. 

There we go. Thanks for that. 

3 minutes ago, PowellSixO said:

See that's the thing. I'm not hunting that unit. I'm targeting the correct unit. I shoot the correct animal, in the correct unit, with the correct tag. I realize it's a slippery slope. But we're dealing with feelings and emotions here. I lose that battle all day long with the leo that wants to prove his wenus is bigger than mine. I'm looking for hard evidence that says I can NOT do it. 

Well, I personally couldn’t hunt that way. Might be ok, but my conscience would get the best of me. Just my personal opinion.

Good luck.   

I know someone that did the same thing and got checked by g&f. Was not hassled at all. If the warden is a real d!ck they might TRY to do something but in the court of law, you’d be fine. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, My Rights As An American said:

Well, since you are in unit 125, you are not in Arizona. Go for it!

It's in az. I just didn't want to give specific units, just in case someone had something they thought I was blowing up. I don't even have a tag this year. :(

• Like 1

An old buddy of mine was the head of habitat for AZGFD for 15 or so years I posed that same question to him and he told me flat out it’s legal to shoot from one unit to another as long as the animal is in the correct unit you have the tag for when the shot is taken. Same thing as saying you shot from the correct unit and the animal crossed the unit boundary line and died you can legally and by law have to retrieve it even though it’s out of the unit once dead. 

How many times do you think that happens on FR3 between 6A and 5B north and south. I’d bet more than you think because it’s happened to me 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, AZ8 said:

I've actually wondered this myself and it's a great question! Now suppose you can only get close enough to pull the trigger from the opposite unit?