rossislider

Help Needed, Yuma Area Information

Hey CWT,

I was contacted by AZGFD a few minutes ago and offered a depredation tag for the southern portion of unit 41 that I have outlined below. The tag would be for any ANTLERLESS deer. I have roughly 24 hours to accept or turn down the tag, and would love to speak with someone familiar with the area. It is about a 3 hours drive for me to reach this area and I need to decide if I have the time, and if it is worth the trip for an antlerless deer hunt. Please let me know if you are familiar with this area and willing to talk about it.

Below is a portion of what was sent to me by AZGFD regarding the hunt. 

Background: This subunit is primarily composed of agricultural fields currently farmed in either lettuce or some other type of produce. Hunters should take special precaution while hunting in the area to observe all food safety regulations provided in the enclosed brochure. This hunt has been opened with the purpose reducing food safety risk by removing mule deer. Hunters are encouraged to remove does found within the sub-unit boundaries. Most sightings of deer are at night, however some deer are found during sunrise and sunset.

While growers are supportive of using hunters to address the issue, it is important to keep in mind of the following:

1. Much of the subunit consists of private land parcels. Adhere to all no hunting and no trespassing postings. When in doubt, seek out landowners for permission to access.

2. Do not enter active produce fields or attempt to pursue deer in these fields. Stringent food safety rules have been enacted to minimize potential sources of contaminates and to ensure the produce remains safe for human consumption. Besides jeopardizing future hunt access and opportunities, you could be held responsible for any crop losses sustained as a result of your actions.

3. Keep in mind that it is unlawful to shoot within ¼ mile (440 yards) of an occupied farmhouse or other residence, cabin, lodge or building without permission from the landowner. Shooting from or across a maintained road is prohibited. Also, please be aware of the presence of workers and machinery in and around agricultural areas while you’re hunting.

Mohawk.thumb.jpg.3dea8e7205dcb0c93e4177ede7a07eb8.jpg

Edit: Deleted original comment. I didn't see the purple outline in my first reply. 

There are water catchments all long that private land/BLM-State land interface that runs along the train tracks. The train is out of service.

So here is my big challenge. I have all of December to hunt the tag, but December is a pretty busy time around our house. Now add to this that Draysen (my oldest son) has a unit 33 whitetail tag that opens on December 13th. This clearly take priority. 

I don't want to take the tag from someone who might give it more time and effort. But if it is a slam dunk, deer running all over the edge of the agg fields that I can do it a weekend. It might be a consideration.

12 minutes ago, 1denogean said:

heck just go do it sean and let me know how it is hahaha i have the late multi December muzzleloader hunt and cant wait to get out there

been wanting that tag for years

10 minutes ago, bonecollector said:

Can you shoot from outside the purple outline? Is it considered a different unit? :ph34r:

Purple area is the only area I can hunt,

I had that depredation tag not too long ago.  I had local intel on where the deer have been hitting the ag fields but no deer found.  The wildlife manager will stay in touch with you but information seemed to be untimely and did not help much.  They'll send you lists of the landowners and / or lessees of the ag fields to contact.  I talked to a few of them and got knowledge from them but still no deer found.  The consensus I found out (too late) was that the recent rains we had just prior to my hunt starting had spread the deer out and off of the ag field areas.  Notice we just got a good downpour throughout the state so it may not be good to take this tag unless you know where those deer go after it rains.  I tried glassing all of the fields and even still hunting through the river bottoms and salt cedars. The only fresh sign I found was in those river bottoms in the thick salt cedars but still never saw a deer.  They probably moved out into the surrounding desert.  I had limited time so probably didn't give it all I could have.  If you have a few days to put into it you may have better luck.  If I remember right there were 8 or 10 of us with that doe tag but only 1 killed and that was in the same general area I was, the day before I could get down there.  I imagine this hunt could go either way depending on feed and water in the area.  Good luck to you if you decide to take the tag!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rossislider said:

Hey CWT,

I was contacted by AZGFD a few minutes ago and offered a depredation tag for the southern portion of unit 41 that I have outlined below. The tag would be for any ANTLERLESS deer. I have roughly 24 hours to accept or turn down the tag, and would love to speak with someone familiar with the area. It is about a 3 hours drive for me to reach this area and I need to decide if I have the time, and if it is worth the trip for an antlerless deer hunt. Please let me know if you are familiar with this area and willing to talk about it.

Below is a portion of what was sent to me by AZGFD regarding the hunt. 

Background: This subunit is primarily composed of agricultural fields currently farmed in either lettuce or some other type of produce. Hunters should take special precaution while hunting in the area to observe all food safety regulations provided in the enclosed brochure. This hunt has been opened with the purpose reducing food safety risk by removing mule deer. Hunters are encouraged to remove does found within the sub-unit boundaries. Most sightings of deer are at night, however some deer are found during sunrise and sunset.

While growers are supportive of using hunters to address the issue, it is important to keep in mind of the following:

1. Much of the subunit consists of private land parcels. Adhere to all no hunting and no trespassing postings. When in doubt, seek out landowners for permission to access.

2. Do not enter active produce fields or attempt to pursue deer in these fields. Stringent food safety rules have been enacted to minimize potential sources of contaminates and to ensure the produce remains safe for human consumption. Besides jeopardizing future hunt access and opportunities, you could be held responsible for any crop losses sustained as a result of your actions.

3. Keep in mind that it is unlawful to shoot within ¼ mile (440 yards) of an occupied farmhouse or other residence, cabin, lodge or building without permission from the landowner. Shooting from or across a maintained road is prohibited. Also, please be aware of the presence of workers and machinery in and around agricultural areas while you’re hunting.

Mohawk.thumb.jpg.3dea8e7205dcb0c93e4177ede7a07eb8.jpg

Sean send me a PM!

Didn't you get a deer already in 3A/3C?  I thought you had a tag in there earlier this year.  Do these depredation hunts count toward your 1 deer a year quota?  I have heard that these depredation tags are usually because landowners are complaining about nuissance animals.  I would think AZGFD would give you some contacts of people who are complaining about the deer damaging their crops and the landowner would grant access to shoot said deer.  

27 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Didn't you get a deer already in 3A/3C?  I thought you had a tag in there earlier this year.  Do these depredation hunts count toward your 1 deer a year quota?  I have heard that these depredation tags are usually because landowners are complaining about nuissance animals.  I would think AZGFD would give you some contacts of people who are complaining about the deer damaging their crops and the landowner would grant access to shoot said deer.  

I did have a 3A3C deer tag. I found and chased the biggest buck that I have personally ever put eyes on. Unfortunately things went sideways on us, and we ended up having to deal with some hunter harassment BS that screwed up my hunt. Honestly, I am still pretty fired up about the whole mess and and not sure when or if I will ever be able to calmly wrap my head around, write up, and publicly share the nonsense I dealt with. 

So to answer your other question, I did not fill my tag and am still eligible.