PRDATR

Anyone know the family washed away in Tonto Basin?

On 12/16/2020 at 9:21 PM, Hoss50 said:

They didn't have to cross that road while the river was flooding. They may be the best people on earth, but they made a poor choice. 

If what I heard on the news from the courtroom yesterday is true, they didn't just take a chance and cross the Tonto, they had a blast doing it and went back across for fun. Was on trip #3 the vehicle was swamped. Poor judgement x 3. 

Here's hoping they can find peace again someday. Everyone involved has been scarred.

• Like 4

Extremely sad situation!  I feel probation was 100% the correct sentence. 

The county should have fixed this road a long time ago!!!!!!!  I feel they should have some liability for these situations.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Doesn’t the county put out do not cross signs at the river? 

Yup. My brother and I have turned around many times when we see the signs and barricades, even if they’re not up and the creek is flowing good. The barricades are there for a reason. What decision a person makes is up to them, but they better be ready to live with the consequences……if they survive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Edge said:

If what I heard on the news from the courtroom yesterday is true, they didn't just take a chance and cross the Tonto, they had a blast doing it and went back across for fun. Was on trip #3 the vehicle was swamped. Poor judgement x 3. 

Here's hoping they can find peace again someday. Everyone involved has been scarred.

Parents are idiots, they deserved far worse punishment

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trphyhntr said:

Doesn’t the county put out do not cross signs at the river? 

From my understanding the sheriff told them to stop crossing. This is a very heated topic in the white mountains. I see both sides and have no opinion. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AZBIG10 said:

Still feels like a punch in the gut today  2 years later. Terrible accident that shouldnt have happened 

Seeing those three kids pictures again last night brought tears. An unnecessary tragedy.

• Like 3

I feel the county should be liable, because they have known the road was an issue for 20+ years.  All they have done was put up signs.  A bridge should have been built many years ago!

They don't need a bridge. 

Build a 30 --- 15 ftwide x 40 ft long barrel  culvert  reinforced with concrete and start a channel 1/4 mile upstream

1 hour ago, elkaholic said:

They don't need a bridge. 

Build a 30 --- 15 ftwide x 40 ft long barrel  culvert  reinforced with concrete and start a channel 1/4 mile upstream

Do you realize how much water goes through there during a major flood event? That crossing is 1500 feet wide when its flooding. Some of the biggest floods recorded were in the 72,000 cu ft/s range! That’s like the freakin Missouri just before it dumps into the Mississippi. They need more than a barrel culvert.

• Like 2