az_runner

Youth Rifle Recommendations for Big Game

My oldest son just took the AZ Hunting-Ed course, so now he can legally hunt big game out here. The deal was for him to study, come out with me regularly and get a high score for me to buy him his first big game rifle. Well the short story is he studied for a few months, came out with me most times and got a 100 on the final test.

Yeah, so now I’m looking at a rifle for him. The boy is 11 and about 90lbs; I would like to find something that he can use for Elk and Deer. I’m looking at a Tikka compact in a 7mm-08, 30-06 or .308, though I wonder if the .308 will be a bit much for him right now. He’s been shooting .22s and a 20g for a few years now, so I’m trying not to cut him short on what he can handle.

Any lessons learned or suggestions when buying a rifle for little ones?

What your budget. 
my 90lbs 11yo girl just killed a deer with my 300wm. But it has a break in it. 

I recently picked up my 11 year old daughter a cheap Savage model 11 youth rifle in 7mm-08. Got some hornady reduced recoil loads in 120 grain sst.

Properly broke in the barrel and this thing shoots lights out with factory loads and is very easy for her to shoot. 

After doing research for her a rifle I figured the 7mm-08 is hard to beat for a youth caliber due to being able to shoot a 120 grain reduced recoil up to a 180 grain bullet. 

• Like 2

I would look at 7-08 or less. 260, 6.5 creed more, 25-06,243 all good choices.  Remember light short rifles can kick a lot so something to think about.  I would buy a full size, get the stock cut down or replace stock with adjustable stock.  Then as he grows you can use same gun, just change or adjust stock.  This is a gun he will likely keep his whole life so buy something quality not cheap. My 2 pennies

I'm looking at around 700-800 before the scope and mounts. I was leaning towards the 7-08, but never thought about the full size but makes sense too just not sure about the cost to change it up.

My son used a 700 remmington 7mag with a break for his first coues deer at age 10.  Still has and uses that rifle now that he is 21.

• Like 2

My thoughts lean towards the Tikka T3x Lite in 7mm-08.  In addition to cutting down the stock for proper length, you might try the add-on changeable closed grip with the Tikka to address the grip to trigger distance for smaller hands.  You might also look into the Browning Micro Midas.

You really can't go wrong with Tikka or the 7-08 and it is a versatile round with plenty of factory ammo available. I bought my son a Tikka 30.06 when he was about 14 and he still has it 16 years later. I never bothered to load for it because he could put three shots into a quarter with factory ammo.

I had a Remington heavy barrel in 7-08 and I loaded bullets from 100 grains up to 168's and all were accurate.

I recently went through the same issues with getting a rifle for my 10 yr. old grandson.   I went with the new Savage 110 Hunter rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.   The big attraction was the Accufit stock design.  It allows you to increase/decrease the length of pull and the comb height with additional modular pieces from 12.75-13.75".  It has the Accustock with the full aluminum bedding block that free floats the barrel to the receiver ring.  The adjustable comb height allows him perfect cheek weld to center his eye in the scope.  I like the Accutrigger and it is easily adjustable.   Savage barrels are known for their accuracy and this one shoots great.  It cleans up like a match grade quality barrel.  Also, the three position tang safety is another feature that is desirable.   I reload, so there are plenty of quality components out there and will be trying some of the small rifle primer pocket brass that is available.  In the future, if you want to change calibers, with a few tools, it is an easy process to change barrels with the barrel nut that is used to headspace the barrel and bolt.  Check out some of the "You Tube" videos, and no I don't work for Savage.   Good shooting!

1 hour ago, mmlj said:

I recently went through the same issues with getting a rifle for my 10 yr. old grandson.   I went with the new Savage 110 Hunter rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.   The big attraction was the Accufit stock design.  It allows you to increase/decrease the length of pull and the comb height with additional modular pieces from 12.75-13.75".  It has the Accustock with the full aluminum bedding block that free floats the barrel to the receiver ring.  The adjustable comb height allows him perfect cheek weld to center his eye in the scope.  I like the Accutrigger and it is easily adjustable.   Savage barrels are known for their accuracy and this one shoots great.  It cleans up like a match grade quality barrel.  Also, the three position tang safety is another feature that is desirable.   I reload, so there are plenty of quality components out there and will be trying some of the small rifle primer pocket brass that is available.  In the future, if you want to change calibers, with a few tools, it is an easy process to change barrels with the barrel nut that is used to headspace the barrel and bolt.  Check out some of the "You Tube" videos, and no I don't work for Savage.   Good shooting!

They are accurate and being able to adjust LOP is a big plus but at 7 1/2 pounds but the time you add a sling. rings,  scope and ammo you are looking at 9 pounds for a kid to lug around all day.

Thanks folks… lots of great information and responses.

I had a Rem 700 in a 270 year back that I wish I didn’t get rid of as it would have been great for my boy and even made me start looking at them again. I currently have a Savage in a 22-250 for pig that is accurate as all heck but has too many known issues and big biggest is having to rubber band the mag since constantly falls out. My Tikka 7mag is probably one of my favorite guns, so I’ll probably try to stick with Tikka for him too and after reading your comments it will be the 7-08. I’ll just have to decide on a compact or full size.

Again, I really do appreciate all the feedback.

• Like 1

I had a 7-08 REM Mod 7 for several years. It was lite and "compact" yet fit me fine as a full sized adult. It was a very handy rifle. I could load 130 gr speers reduced velocity or load 160 gr  for elk. My vote 7-08 Tikka.

8 minutes ago, az_runner said:

I currently have a Savage in a 22-250 for pig that is accurate as all heck but has too many known issues and big biggest is having to rubber band the mag since constantly falls out.

I have an Axis also but haven't had any of the usual problems in the two years I have had it.

https://www.savageshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?104-Axis-Bolt-Action-Rifles