Sign in to follow this  
biglakejake

bait

well that got my blood pressure up!  told by not-so-bright pinetop azgfd office worker i cannot use frozen anchovies, sardines and bait shrimp for catfish and pike.  "no live bait" she says.  'they are frozen' my reply.  "no live bait allowed-you will get a ticket"!  i asked just how would i get a live sardine to fool hollow and got "no live bait allowed".  i was nice and just hung up before i had a stroke.  par for the course huh-4% unemployment lol?

let me know guys where there are bait freezers in the valley, gila county and flag-all my bait sources have dried up over the years.

thank you,

lee

ps still don't know if a green sunfish is considered a sport fish and cannot be used for cut bait-the reason for the call.

17 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

well that got my blood pressure up!  told by not-so-bright pinetop azgfd office worker i cannot use frozen anchovies, sardines and bait shrimp for catfish and pike.  "no live bait" she says.  'they are frozen' my reply.  "no live bait allowed-you will get a ticket"!  i asked just how would i get a live sardine to fool hollow and got "no live bait allowed".  i was nice and just hung up before i had a stroke.  par for the course huh-4% unemployment lol?

let me know guys where there are bait freezers in the valley, gila county and flag-all my bait sources have dried up over the years.

thank you,

lee

ps still don't know if a green sunfish is considered a sport fish and cannot be used for cut bait-the reason for the call.

Sounds like she needs to be educated between live and dead. Walmarts in the valley usually have frozen anchovies in the Sporting Goods Dept. They may have Smelt in the frozen food section with the salmon and shrimp.

I would think the correct  definition would be. (Artificial lures and Flys only) usually  barb less.  That would mean no power bait etc also.

But fools hallow you can use the bait you mentioned, power bait, live crickets, eggs for trout,  night crawler  etc.  Unless the changed it but I doubt it.

Pages 10 & 11 show the live baitfishes. I see no mention of anchovies but I can see where using any of those fishes listed whether alive or pieces thereof would be an open for a potential ticket even if used as cutbait.

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/azgfd-portal-wordpress-pantheon/wp-content/uploads/archive/2019and2020-AZGFD-Fishing-Regs.pdf

• Like 1

2 hours ago, biglakejake said:

thank you,

lee

The sunfish is ok for live bait. Down here it's just a toss up for which lakes your allowed to use certain live baits and throw a cast net. Parker no nets and worms only, patagonia nets ok and pretty much any live (legal) bait.  

We got a dog with cancer, gonna take her to Patagonia this weekend for one last fishing trip.  ☹️

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, biglakejake said:

all i want for my 60th birthday is a couple lbs of frozen anchovie.  not gonna happen

I hear that the store in Lyman lake state park has frozen anchovie.

2 hours ago, BassSlayer said:

Hey Photofool any word on the ice on the lakes and road access to big lake???

All roads to big lake are closed now. I wouldn't expect the drifts to be cleared until April sometime. The mountains will still get more snow storms.